Crawley match verdict | Vital Football

Crawley match verdict

runner_pie

Vital Reserves Team
I'll do my best to sum up what was a thoroughly enjoyable afternoon in Crawley. I saw that Elite said the BBC stats suggested we deserved the win and in my opinion, we certainly did.

In the first half, we controlled much of the play without ever troubling the goalkeeper. Alan Smith was playing an influential role in the midfield and we looked more like the home team whereas Crawley were sitting back and trying to soak up the pressure. Crawley's brighter moments tended to be as a result of us gifting possession to them but Collin only had to make one save worthy of the name.

The second half started badly when we sat off the Crawley attacker who had the space to shoot from the edge of the area. Thankfully, Notts didn't let this effect them too much and were soon on level terms thanks to an own goal which the assistant referee tried his utmost to rule out for offside! Thankfully, after a lengthy consultation with the ref, the right decision was made.

Our second goal was certainly the pick of the bunch after O'Connor played a short corner to Campbell, who returned it to his skipper. O'Connor gave the ball back to Campbell once more who turned and curled a lovely shot into the far corner.

Although Crawley's left winger regularly posed a threat and created a few openings for the home side, we finished the game strongly. Audel, who had come off the bench, earned a penalty after making a good run into the area and putting pressure on the Crawley defender who, whilst laying on the floor, handled the ball. Jon Stead smashed home the penalty and there was still time for Adam Campbell to smash a shot against the post.

The game was played in scorching heat throughout and the team put in a superb effort. There was a conscious effort to play the ball on the floor and while we certainly aren't the finished article, we appear to be improving with every game. The one real concern for me is that Collin isn't filling me with confidence in goal. He spilt a couple of balls in the area today and on another day we could have been punished. On a positive note, Adam Campbell played really well and his goal will have done him the world of good.

As we returned to our car, a Crawley fan complimented us on what a good team we looked. He had no complaints whatsoever about the result.

Apologies for such a long post but hopefully I did a really pleasing away performance justice. Really looking forward to Grimsby next week :beer:

Never mind the length, thanks for the report. Great result and hopefully the last 2 games might put bums on seats next week.

Agree, thanks for the report. It's always good to get the view of someone who was actually there, and when it's a complimentary report the longer the better! Let's see if we can do it at Meadow Lane now.

Thanks for posting that, runner. Made much more sense to me than the highlights.

Talking of sense, who was it on Notts' left wing in the first half that ended up taking the ball from an attacking position in their half and giving a Crawley striker a chance in on goal? A little less than stellar that, still we won and that's all that counts. UPIES!

If my memory serves me right, it was Milsom who turned back on the left wing then played a really poor ball back towards Duffy, which could and probably should have cost us dearly. Milsom did ok to say that he has had so little football of late. He regularly made himself available when a team mate had the ball although he rarely got far enough down the wing to cause Crawley real problems.

Nice summary runner. How are we looking with team spirit? Do the players look like they want to play for each other?
I got the feeling last season the players were out for themselves a lot.

Team spirit appears to be miles better than last year and that for me was typified by the way the players responded to going a goal down. O'Connor seems to be a sound choice as captain and not only do the players appear to want to play for each other, they want to play for their manager too.

I'm going to try and attach a photo that somebody posted on Facebook which showed the passion on display. Hope it works!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 0