Cowley Interview | Vital Football

Cowley Interview

Gaz_Imp

Vital Football Hero
https://audioboom.com/posts/5993948-danny-cowley-on-recruitment-sean-raggett-and-pre-season

First bit appears to apply that we are close to 2-3 signings.

The calm voice of reason. As others have mentioned before but it is worth reminding all clubs with any kind of budget have 3 to 5 players on their radar for every position they are looking to fill. You don't always get your first or second choice but with the research done by the management I have no doubt whatsoever that ever a 5th choice or even a loanee will be a competent team player with the right attitude.

They obtain eight character references for each player they're interested in signing.

Compare that with this story from Cod Almighty about Martin Gritton signing for Grimsby:
In Slade we trust would make me smile, but once again the joke has worn off. Martin Gritton's account of his transfer to Town in 2004 is an insight into the scouting that goes into the exhaustive search for a player. Slade rang an agent and asked for a striker. He was given a choice of two: a big one and a small one. Slade plumped for the big one, which happened to be Gritts. Job's a good 'un.
A particular favourite of Mardy Diary's is the story of Slade signing Steve Mildenhall because "he could kick the ball a long way".

Did I hear correctly they get 8 character references for every player they are interested in before they even speak to the target?

Echo along the same lines of the audio and interesting about the number of players in which positions

http://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/we-won-t-be-drawn-into-a-bidding-war-says-lincoln-city-boss-danny-cowley/story-30377581-detail/story.html

Impartiality - 7/6/2017 18:00

Did I hear correctly they get 8 character references for every player they are interested in before they even speak to the target?

Yep, you did.

Up to 12 new players if my maths is correct. Lots of new faces. Mentions some in the league too, so not all from non-league.

We will need 18 on matchday next season not 16 as we've been used so a squad of 22-25 will be required.
We are bound to need cover for injuries, suspensions and hopefully cup runs :gent:

If we've got about 24-25 first teamers (12 new, 12 signed up, plus a few who have offers on the table) that will soon add up to a fair old budget. Assuming 25 players and the average wage is £1000 a week (no idea if it is or not) that would be an annual budget of £1.3million without taking into account NI and pension contributions. A few freebie loans from up the leagues would certainly be helpful...

http://m.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/we-won-t-be-drawn-into-a-bidding-war-says-lincoln-city-boss-danny-cowley/story-30377581-detail/story.html

Edit - sorry only just seen this had already been posted!

I'm surprised people even need re-assuring at the minute, to be honest.

Still 3 weeks or so until pre-season starts! I think our season finishing earlier than other leagues, and two games early in terms of winning the league, has probably seemed as though it's dragged on a bit for some.

This time last year we hadn't made a signing either.

With 11(?) signed up, we're not exactly in a bad position.

Alex Woodyard was the first signing last year, on 11 June.

No need to be concerned at all. There are eight other League Two clubs yet to make a signing - Barnet, Carlisle, Colchester, Exeter, Morecambe, Swindon, Wycombe and Yeovil - and several others have made only one. There was a flurry of activity in May from Coventry, Cambridge, Chesterfield and especially Mansfield, but the rest have done very little between them. There is absolutely no movement in L2 at all at the moment, it is very quiet.

The longer that persists, the more anxious (i.e. desperate and far more sensible) the agents will become. The majority of lower division clubs refuse to play their silly games, as the likes of Darragh MacAnthony have stated.

gijsbert_bos - 7/6/2017 21:39

If we've got about 24-25 first teamers (12 new, 12 signed up, plus a few who have offers on the table) that will soon add up to a fair old budget. Assuming 25 players and the average wage is £1000 a week (no idea if it is or not) that would be an annual budget of £1.3million without taking into account NI and pension contributions. A few freebie loans from up the leagues would certainly be helpful...

I don't know what the average wage would be, but even £1.3m would be no problem. Season ticket sales must be worth around £1m so far, and we also have the solidarity payment which I believe is close to another £1m. With the FA Cup money stashed away, we are in a very strong position compared to many in League Two.

dc says we are close to 2-3 signings well here are some possibilities.
billy knott on season loan from gills,he has 1 year still on his contract-playmaker needed.

joe greyhound ward --released by brighton and keen to get back to motivated environ of lincoln.

outside chance of ipswich d rowe on season loan.

michael cheek still a possibility knows dc and nc. 20 goal man.

leftfield option====== jordan maguire drew ----14 goals for daggers on loan from brighton sent back to his main club season end. played with joe ward and has heard all the good reports of lincoln,could be swayed and is a good young prospect.