Coutts | Vital Football

Coutts

Blade for Life

Vital 1st Team Regular
Does anyone else think he should have replaced Norwood second half ?. I can’t understand why CW did not change that centre midfield. Norwood is quality but maybe that would have given him a kick up the backside ?.

Does anyone else think he should have replaced Norwood second half ?. I can’t understand why CW did not change that centre midfield. Norwood is quality but maybe that would have given him a kick up the backside ?.
Flecky was subbed wern't he? No i wunt've swapped Ollie for Coutts,did ya see the Barnet game? UTCB

Flecky was subbed wern't he? No i wunt've swapped Ollie for Coutts,did ya see the Barnet game? UTCB
Yes but everyone was bad that game. It just worries me that if Norwood and Fleck have an off day we have no plan B. Fleck and Coutts work well together.

Yes but everyone was bad that game. It just worries me that if Norwood and Fleck have an off day we have no plan B. Fleck and Coutts work well together.
I dint mean mi first reply to sound like i was bein sarcy wi thi,cos i wasn't bein sarcy. The change i wunt be suprised abart next week is Madine startin,if he does we need to keep Billy up theer wi him and get better crosses into the twatbeast in my view.UTCB

I dint mean mi first reply to sound like i was bein sarcy wi thi,cos i wasn't bein sarcy. The change i wunt be suprised abart next week is Madine startin,if he does we need to keep Billy up theer wi him and get better crosses into the twatbeast in my view.UTCB
I didn’t take it like that. I agree Madine should have replaced Goldie and I would have kept Fleck on and partnered him with Coutts.

I didn’t take it like that. I agree Madine should have replaced Goldie and I would have kept Fleck on and partnered him with Coutts.
It's just sometimes replies can sound worse than folk intended but i'm glad ya realised i wern't bein sarcy wi ya mate.UTCB

Fleck was the right one to come off for me he was the worst of the 2 evils absolutely no attempt to close down or mark for their goal and he’d been like that for a while tbf Norwood wasn’t much better but better he was

Hindsight is 20/20. Unfortunately Utd miss a central midfield monster and I'm not convinced Coutts would have avoided the deterioration in performance in the second half. Just like Bristol City away, Utd struggled to maintain control of the game once the opposition made changes.

Hindsight is 20/20. Unfortunately Utd miss a central midfield monster and I'm not convinced Coutts would have avoided the deterioration in performance in the second half. Just like Bristol City away, Utd struggled to maintain control of the game once the opposition made changes.
its becoming a bit of regular occurence this subject too many teams have changed their shape second half against us and we dont seem to have an answer plenty for chris and alan to ponder on imo

My point in a nutshell.
Ollie had a poor game by his standards but he's got the ability to produce the goal creatin cross/pass and does so often,for me Couttsy teks 3 or 4 passes to get where Ollie's one pass goes and when we're chasin the game i wud sooner have Ollie on't pitch but hey Opinions and all that.UTCB

Last edited:
Yes the logical substitution at the time. DB touched on this in his report. Ollie had got booked early and wasn't able to tackle second half and they were running through us like a red hot knife through butter. JOC picked up a booking as a result.

We couldn't get hold of the ball for 15 minutes as they pushed 10 yards further up the pitch so bringing Coutts on to try and do this was the obvious choice. That would have given us a chance to see if the Holy trinity in midfield could flourish for half an hour. May not have worked but surely it was a better option than to go hoof ball. Unfortunately CW had his substitution tunnel vision and went for the usual Duffy off first option. Would be good if we changed it now and again.

Yes the logical substitution at the time. DB touched on this in his report. Ollie had got booked early and wasn't able to tackle second half and they were running through us like a red hot knife through butter. JOC picked up a booking as a result.

We couldn't get hold of the ball for 15 minutes as they pushed 10 yards further up the pitch so bringing Coutts on to try and do this was the obvious choice. That would have given us a chance to see if the Holy trinity in midfield could flourish for half an hour. May not have worked but surely it was a better option than to go hoof ball. Unfortunately CW had his substitution tunnel vision and went for the usual Duffy off first option. Would be good if we changed it now and again.
well the way duffy has been hitting back on twitter suggests that he isnt tired every game after 65 minutes and that its the managers decision to sub him do think we need a little variation with our tactics when we fall behind in games madine is certainly one option but we need more than one option imo

I felt that we were lacking in midfield. The strikers weren't the issue, they weren't getting any service as the ball wasn't flowing through defence and midfield.

Though I do feel that at times, when defending, United sit back far too deep. We clear the ball and it comes straight back at us - we need to be out of the blocks quicker or don't commit as many players into defending.

As for Duffy. I think he has lacked fitness in the past but this season does seem to majority last 90 minutes. Against Norwich I would like to see Dowell start and bring Duffy on as an impact player in second half - I feel that he could make the difference in this game coming off the bench with a fresh pair of legs.

Though I do feel that at times, when defending, United sit back far too deep. We clear the ball and it comes straight back at us - we need to be out of the blocks quicker or don't commit as many players into defending.

Maybe play madine in these situations and he could do a similar job to what shipperley did for us in our promotion season holding the ball up or just stopping it coming straight back thus allowing the players to get up field as a unit. Would still prefer the current style but if sat happens again then this would take the pressure off