Coronation May 6th | Page 2 | Vital Football

Coronation May 6th

So you've got a bee in your bonnet about tax payers money being spent on the British Monarchy?
This country also wastes billions on non-British what are your thoughts on that?

Genuine question.
What is this non-British monarchy you speak of?

I agree, we have our our Monarchy that is good value for money and does not cost us billions.

My personal thoughts - instead of spending £ billions on the Coronation why can't a portion of the money be put towards food bank and helping the needy with bills?
I'm sure Charles can pay for it with his inheritance. NB they don't have to pay inheritance tax like us normal people.
Are you a member of the Wigan Athletic Supporters Club by any chance?

So you've got a bee in your bonnet about tax payers money being spent on the British Monarchy?
This country also wastes billions on non-British what are your thoughts on that?

Genuine question.

I think we need to clarify how much taxpayer's money is actually spent on the Royal Family, it actually equates to £1.29p per person in the UK.

The sovereign grant, which is what the taxpayer gives them to run their households, staff and upkeep of the royal residences, is set by the government as a percentage of the rent received from the Crown Estate.

The grant for 2022/23 is £86.3 million, the balance of all receipts from the estate (approx. 75%) is then incorporated into the treasury assets to be used by the exchequer.

So, in essence, the Royal Family, if seen as a business are a profitable institution, and given that the King now pays tax on his private earnings, I see no reason for people to be critical of their wealth.

Unless of course they are misinformed or simply fail to take the time to research their blinkered views.

given that the King now pays tax on his private earnings, I see no reason for people to be critical of their wealth.

Unless of course they are misinformed or simply fail to take the time to research their blinkered views.

Charles has very kindly offered to pay income tax on some of his income but not on what I or many others would see as all his income.
Charles didn't, unlike how the rest of us would have to, pay any inheritance tax on the vast wealth that he inherited when his mother died. Nor will he ever have to pay any capital gains tax like the rest of us would. And nor for that matter is he legally liable to pay income tax like the rest of us.
Whilst Prince of Wales he paid income tax only on his income from the Duchy of Cornwall above what is needed to meet "official expenditure"

That's of course leaving aside the debate as to how they obtained such land & wealth in the first place

There are other groups, admittedly themselves with an agenda, who have looked in to the costs of the royal family's expenses & income who estimate the actual costs to the British state of the Royal Family can top £340,000,000 a year when you take in to account the cost of the lost revenue of the 2 duchies that they keep, their security, costs to local councils & the police force & lost tax revenue from their exemption statuses - the Queen's funeral alone is estimated to have cost between £8m to £20m. All funded by the taxpayer

Charles has very kindly offered to pay income tax on some of his income but not on what I or many others would see as all his income.
Charles didn't, unlike how the rest of us would have to, pay any inheritance tax on the vast wealth that he inherited when his mother died. Nor will he ever have to pay any capital gains tax like the rest of us would. And nor for that matter is he legally liable to pay income tax like the rest of us.
Whilst Prince of Wales he paid income tax only on his income from the Duchy of Cornwall above what is needed to meet "official expenditure"

That's of course leaving aside the debate as to how they obtained such land & wealth in the first place

There are other groups, admittedly themselves with an agenda, who have looked in to the costs of the royal family's expenses & income who estimate the actual costs to the British state of the Royal Family can top £340,000,000 a year when you take in to account the cost of the lost revenue of the 2 duchies that they keep, their security, costs to local councils & the police force & lost tax revenue from their exemption statuses - the Queen's funeral alone is estimated to have cost between £8m to £20m. All funded by the taxpayer

Well researched MB.

As you point out though the King has generously agreed to pay tax on his income, less expenses as any other company or private citizen does. The income from the Duchy is reported to be around £20 million pounds of which half is taken in management and other expenditure leaving profits of approximately £10 million (according to reports). Under current taxation rules he would be paying between 40% and 45% in tax leaving an income of about £5.75 million.

So, although more than most of us could ever imagine earning, not as much as most think. He also makes charitable donations from this, which would also reduce this figure, which are not widely reported.

As to the inherited lands and titles, these are effectively his in trust and cannot be sold without government permission for any amount over £500k. Therefore, although on paper he is mega rich he cannot liquidate his fortune and benefits little from them.

As to the cost to the state of the royal family, it is also considered that tourism to this country benefits greatly from their presence to the tune of many hundreds of millions. The hotels, bars and restaurants in the capital benefit greatly from American and Japanese tourists keen to get a glimpse of the royal family every year.

As far as the funeral costs go, the estimates do vary wildly, however the consensus is that £8 million will be nearer the mark as the previous funerals of the Queen Mother and Princess Diana cost nearer £5.5 million, both of which were ceremonial funerals and mainly funded by the royal family themselves.

If the cost was £8 million, then that equates too about .12p per head of population of the UK (30.p if you use the top end£20 million you quote), which in my view is not a lot to pay for a woman who gave her whole life to the service of her country. I also suspect that the income generated to the local economy as people came to pay their respects was far more than the actual funeral costs.

Last edited:
Well researched MB.

As you point out though the King has generously agreed to pay tax on his income, less expenses as any other company or private citizen does. The income from the Duchy is reported to be around £20 million pounds of which half is taken in management and other expenditure leaving profits of approximately £10 million (according to reports). Under current taxation rules he would be paying between 40% and 45% in tax leaving an income of about £5.75 million.

So, although more than most of us could ever imagine earning, not as much as most think. He also makes charitable donations from this, which would also reduce this figure, which are not widely reported.

As to the inherited lands and titles, these are effectively his in trust and cannot be sold without government permission for any amount over £500k. Therefore, although on paper he is mega rich he cannot liquidate his fortune and benefits little from them.

As to the cost to the state of the royal family, it is also considered that tourism to this country benefits greatly from their presence to the tune of many hundreds of millions. The hotels, bars and restaurants in the capital benefit greatly from American and Japanese tourists keen to get a glimpse of the royal family every year.

As far as the funeral costs go, the estimates do vary wildly, however the consensus is that £8 million will be nearer the mark as the previous funerals of the Queen Mother and Princess Diana cost nearer £5.5 million, both of which were ceremonial funerals and mainly funded by the royal family themselves.

If the cost was £8 million, then that equates too about .12p per head of population of the UK (30.p if you use the top end£20 million you quote), which in my view is not a lot to pay for a woman who gave her whole life to the service of her country. I also suspect that the income generated to the local economy as people came to pay their respects was far more than the actual funeral costs.

I guess a lot of how people interpret the data out there depends on their standpoint on whether a hereditary monarchy really should exist in this day & age.
Similarly with the oft quoted "they bring in tourism figures" - I went to Paris in August & the lack of being able to spot Marie Antoinette's descendants wasn't stopping the hordes of tourists looking at their former palaces & monuments. Nor I guess the stuff that Napoleon whacked up either or tourist numbers in general
The 12p to 30p cost per head of population to me is irrelevant than the total cost along with all the ostentatious pageantry, pomp & ceremony at a time of inflation at over 10%, foodbanks providing record amounts to those in need etc.. It was also sickening, to me at least, to see the photos of homeless people begging in view of posters paying tribute to a Queen born in to immense wealth & privilege
And being born in to that immense wealth & privilege was why she gave her life to service of her country as you put it. The vast majority of people would do the same if born in to that position

I respect your opinion like but I can never agree with it as I suspect you feel towards mine - I did find your claim that Charles benefits little from his immense (on paper) personal fortune very funny though!! :rofl:

I guess a lot of how people interpret the data out there depends on their standpoint on whether a hereditary monarchy really should exist in this day & age.
Similarly with the oft quoted "they bring in tourism figures" - I went to Paris in August & the lack of being able to spot Marie Antoinette's descendants wasn't stopping the hordes of tourists looking at their former palaces & monuments. Nor I guess the stuff that Napoleon whacked up either or tourist numbers in general
The 12p to 30p cost per head of population to me is irrelevant than the total cost along with all the ostentatious pageantry, pomp & ceremony at a time of inflation at over 10%, foodbanks providing record amounts to those in need etc.. It was also sickening, to me at least, to see the photos of homeless people begging in view of posters paying tribute to a Queen born in to immense wealth & privilege
And being born in to that immense wealth & privilege was why she gave her life to service of her country as you put it. The vast majority of people would do the same if born in to that position

I respect your opinion like but I can never agree with it as I suspect you feel towards mine - I did find your claim that Charles benefits little from his immense (on paper) personal fortune very funny though!! :rofl:
£340m does sound a lot of money to us little folk, but in terms of big business or government finance is a small amount.

As a comparison, what does it cost to run the school that you manage?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64332382

The final day of the 2022-23 Championship, League One and League Two season has been moved to Sunday, 7 May and Monday, 8 May to avoid a clash with King Charles III's coronation.

Final game of the season Monday May 8th vs Rotherham @15:00
Fingers crossed we are still in with a chance of staying up.

Shame, I had assumed that Bank Holiday Monday was going to be the relegation party in the park day.

The way Toure is going we will already be down by then. All we could do that day is do Rotherham a favour if they need the points.
Will Toure be good enough to get us back up? Now that is the question.