Corner Kicks | Vital Football

Corner Kicks

Kim Jong Un

Vital Squad Member
Present a HUGE opportunity to score a goal.

Why have we failed to score now, for so long?

You would think, with so many players in the box there is the chance that goals could happen even accidentally.

It's as good as a free-kick really, as that's what it is, a free chance to put the ball in the box, unhindered.

Why then, is it we can't score from them? It's not a height problem?

I think of all the shite things we do, corners is our shitest.

I remember even in the days of Robert, who could hardly ever get the ball past the 1st defender covering the near post, we used to still manage to score from them from time to time.

Why so awful now?

Because when it comes to shiteness, our manager is a record breaker?

The inswinging corner to the near post is statistically meant to be the most successful, maybe we understood that way back then. I recall Andy O'brien scoring of one near post corner for us.

Firstly we do not have any forwards that can head a ball.
Secondly we do not have anyone who can put in an accurate cross
Thirdly when the central defenders arrive they inevitably direct their headers anywhere but at the goal. Normally over the bar or wide.
Just shows the benefits of Pardew's training ground.

Just checked the different sites for heights. Apparently we only have 4 players over 6ft, Williamson, Saylor, Santon and Obertan.

I'm not sure that it the answer though. Looking back, little Michael Owen got quite a few headers in for us.

Maybe it is a combination of delivery and predictability of the runs our players are coached to make that makes us easy to defend against.

Two things which are crucial to scoring from a corner kick are quality of ball and desire to get on the end of it

Two things that do not need a tactical genius to make it happen

Why does everyone assume a goal from a corner has to be scored from a header?

You see plenty of goals scored where the ball drops in the box.

We don't score because we have nobody who can head the ball, but more importantly we never put any decent deliveries in, so the opposition are never put under pressure, whether it be via head or foot.

The ball in is too obvious, slow or at too high a trajectory. If the ball is in the air too long it gives defenders time to get in position.
Which is why Beckham's best crosses and dead balls were so good, they had a flatter trajectory.
The best coaches can produce routines and deliveries to get the best out of their team.
Did Ba hit the bar at Chelsea last year from a corner played along the ground that someone dummied? Or was it a cross?

I remember taking specific attention to Williamson during several corners, and thinking 'he really isn't interested on getting on the end of any of them'. Just didn't seem to have the heart to even try.

The fact that we have failed to score from a corner kick all season beggars belief and i wonder is it another record for Pards.

Its much nearer 2 seasons, Bruce, not one.

Statman, how many goals from corners from how many attempts under Pardpoo; and how many post-Carroll?

In answer to the questions, O'Brien was 6ft exactly. The last goal from a corner was Ba against Wolves in October 2011, Cabaye taking the corner. The previous one was May 2011, which was the 3rd consecutive match in a row that Saylor scored at corners (Birmingham home, Chelsea away and west Brom home). The providers were Barton, Raylor and Lovenkrands.

With 3 of the last 4 goals from corners being against teams from the West Midlands the obvious solution is that we should play against Brummie teams more often.

It's not all directly to do with height. Man United scored 16 goals from corners, with players like Hernandez, Rooney and Carrick and Rafael scoring from them.

We obviously DON'T practice them, as our delivery is the same shit each time.

But then again, what do we get time to practice, when sunglasses man fùcks off at half two every day.