COP26 | Page 2 | Vital Football

COP26

All new houses, industrial units, warehouses etc should be built to be carbon neutral with solar panels or wind turbines to generate their own power supply. It would be a start

All new houses, industrial units, warehouses etc should be built to be carbon neutral with solar panels or wind turbines to generate their own power supply. It would be a start

I agree with you and am amazed every new-build doesn't have solar/wind and proper insulation, but that would require legislation and the construction industry would probably oppose it on "cost" grounds as it would eat into their profits. And we know which political party the construction industry always fund...

*prepares scented oil*

Throw them up cheap and cheerful, we've put in double glazing , the rest is up to you. Grass on front & back, oh you wanna concrete over that for your 3 cars!. By the way, can you even afford this new gaff?

The energy companies (mostly foreign owned) won't allow it - they wouild lose a shed load of cash but still have to provide power when the sun isn't shining and the wind not blowing

Let's face it, the human race is the cancer of this world and need eradicating. We are probably already in the next mass extinction period and humanity will be one of the casualties. It'll take a few millenia but it will happen and the world will recover because that is what has happened over and over in the last four and a half billion years.

Happy Christmas

Bang on. Can you imagine though if government, any government, insisted on a 1-child policy? The uproar would be deafening, but as more children are born, they need more stuff, and that stuff needs energy and raw materials to make, and most of that stuff comes from China… Plus we’re all statistically living longer, so we need more stuff, and that needs more energy.

Or, conspiracy theory announcement, “let’s have a pandemic…”

Electric cars are not an answer because studies have shown that there is no study on the environmental effects of battery disposal.

I remember reading this about the scale of work needed to reduce global temperatures by 2 degrees and the UK's contribution to that.

If the entire islands of Great Britain sank into the sea tomorrow and therefore stopped all economic activity, it wouldn't be enough of a contribution reduce global warming by 0.1 of a degree (apologies if I have got the reduction figure wrong).

Share of CO2 emissions by country,

China 28%
Rest of the World 21% (countries with less than 1% contribution)
US 15%
India 7%
Russia 5%
Japan 3%
Germany, Iran, South Korea, Saudi Arabia, Indonesia & Canada 2% each
Mexico, South Africa, Brazil, UK, France, Italy, Poland, Turkey and Australia 1% each

So, while I appreciate that every country has to do its bit (or more than its bit) if China, the US, India and Russia don't make their contribution we won't be able to do it.

One can either do something about it, or think of a thousand excuses why not. You decide?

One can either do something about it, or think of a thousand excuses why not. You decide?
Yep, but as we consume more stuff, and the majority of that stuff is now produced in China, only encourages their share to get higher. The most difficult task of them all is to not buy anything Made in China. But that goes for component parts as well as fully assembled. One of the methods would be to consume less stuff, or be less materialistic, or buy British using 100% whereby it’s from certified sources and environmental efficient. But that’s a hard task.

, but that would require legislation and the construction industry would probably oppose it on "cost" grounds as it would eat into their profits. And we know which political party the construction industry always fund...

*prepares scented oil*

1635768072210.png

Just going "blah blah China, blah blah India" etc is just not good enough. We began industrialising 300 years ago and then everything was powered by coal. We continued to stick muck in the air right up to the end of the 20th century when we then exported all our polluting industries abroad but still remained customers. We may not pollute so much nowadays but if we expect the developing world to solve the problem, we have to help them pay for it because we used to be the biggest contributor.

And @johnolbe needs to have a look at some world population density maps before spouting his usual uninformed rubbish.

Forget the eco-bling.

Build with good level or air-tightness and thermal properties. The UK Building Regs are so slack on this. It really is not that hard to build with good levels airtightness of 1ach and up the U values. Get the basic building phyisics sorted, then introduces the supplementary power requirements and not before.

Last edited:
Well I guess now that our embarrassment of a national train service has been exposed to the world's leaders I guess Boris and co might decide to do something about it...

Just going "blah blah China, blah blah India" etc is just not good enough. We began industrialising 300 years ago and then everything was powered by coal. We continued to stick muck in the air right up to the end of the 20th century when we then exported all our polluting industries abroad but still remained customers. We may not pollute so much nowadays but if we expect the developing world to solve the problem, we have to help them pay for it because we used to be the biggest contributor.

And @johnolbe needs to have a look at some world population density maps before spouting his usual uninformed rubbish.
‘ uninformed rubbish’ coming from you. Oh the irony🤣🤣🤣🤣

Or you could just answer my question without looking to be so confrontational.

Amazing how this turns into a left wing v right wing thing. Floodlights are usually placed near the corner flags on both wings.
Foreign ownership is bad isn’t it?
Can vividly remember the labour government thinking they were Jesus and bringing in Capita to get the lame to walk.
china. They’ve been in the news a lot lately. All good stuff of course.

Perhaps I should have been a little clearer. I wasn't suggesting that we shouldn't do things, or that we shouldn't apply an 'every little helps' mentality. Nor am I suggesting that we don't have an awful lot of historical responsibility for where we are. My point was simply that the solution has to be targeted disproportionately in China, the US, India otherwise we won't make a big enough of a difference quickly enough.

While the largest post-industrial economies are not necessarily the biggest net polluters, they are the ones with the largest economic clout and therefore have the potential to be the biggest contributors to lowering global warming, even if the solution lies outside of their borders.

There are a whole host of economic levers that richer countries can bring to bear e.g.

Pay to replace Fossil Fuel using activity in other countries (power stations, steel manufacturers) with more efficient alternatives
Provide eco-friendly innovations licence/royalty free to the whole world
Provide below cost exports of goods produced CO2 efficiently so other countries don't buy those goods from polluting countries/industries
Increase the tax on products that are made using CO2 inefficiently, tapering over time to give companies the opportunity to modernise
Ban the consumption of goods not produced using CO2 efficiently
Reduce global spending on all Military activity
Limit the number of flights an individual can make per annum
Stop all non-satellite Space activity for 20 years

Unless there are carrot and stick global policies to drive the uptake of more efficient technology I can't see things changing (I appreciate there are issues with all of the above), the point is that responsibility means that we will have to do without, pay more and share some of our relative wealth with poorer countries/people around the world. It is a global problem and it can only be solved by global co-operation.

Looking at the original question as to what City could do...how about cancelling the stupid and unnecessary firework display scheduled for this week

So why not build a new village of huts near the new water supply instead of walking 3 miles to fetch it every day
Great idea. Assuming there is a suitable new water source and the people involved have the resources and wherewithal to up sticks and move. Not usually a practical option for those that WaterAid is seeking to help by providing new water supply infrastructure