Cooky 4 more years | Vital Football

Cooky 4 more years

ZAKKY

Vital Football Hero
Paul has put pen to paper this afternoon to a 4 year contract fantastic news

First piece of major summer business done!! And my main priority!! Delighted to announce Paul has signed a new 4 year deal with us!! Great start to the summer!!
270d-1f3fc.png
1f535.png
SharpyDcr3p61X0AAnHja.jpg

Last edited:
Best signing we could've possibly made. Credit to Sharpe for getting him tied down and picking him as our boss last year. Sharpe took a lot of stick over the last couple of years but he deserves nothing but praise for his decision making since last summer.

Fully agreed! Let’s face it, we all make mistakes but for most of us our mistakes are not in the public domain.......Sharpey got everything right with the signing of Cooky last summer and should be congratulated on that. Fantastic hews that Cooky has signed a long term contract with us....Lots of positive news today......let’s top it off now with an announcement that Sharpey will remain as chairman after the takeover goes through.

Had my reservations initially due to his reported lack of plan b, however he's proven he has one and I concede he was a great appointment.

Managerial consistency is important yet recent incumbents of the post haven't been good enough to warrant it. He is good enough so we need to remember that during the difficult times next season. He also has a personality that is endearing to us supporters and that is important also. Assurances must have also been made regarding the new owners and investment which is encouraging and together with today's statement on the takeover removes any summer uncertainty at the earliest opportunity. Off course managerial contracts don't mean a great deal but it quells any rumours of his imminent departure and reassures players/agents going forward this close season.

All in all it's fantastic news and whilst I feel critique of Sharpe was justified given some of the decisions made, I'll tip my hat to him for righting some of the errors of recent years and getting this important business done early.

Let's not forget MIW, Sharpe has only been in charge for 3 years now and 2 of those have been our most successful. Yes he has made mistakes,which we all do, but looks to have learned form them

Let's not forget MIW, Sharpe has only been in charge for 3 years now and 2 of those have been our most successful. Yes he has made mistakes,which we all do, but looks to have learned form them

Let's hope so Kenny. Rumours he maybe staying on as chairman. It will be a massive test for him as it will be a lot different and I guess more difficult doing it for the new owners as opposed to under his Grandad. He'll be a lot more accountable and any mistakes on the scale we've seen in recent seasons not as easily forgiven.

MiW, only one "incumbent" proved himself not good enough, and in football not everything works out as you'd hope every time.
The first choice Sharpe made was brave and turned out to be inspired. But as he panicked and then denied that choice a decent chance last season, we now will never know if Caldwell would have been a success or not at that level with our club.
So I agree with Kenny, Sharp and co have indeed done a decent job in the main.
I also don't believe that Sharp will be running the show and therefore be more accountable. He wil be the figurehead but the new owners will be the ones making decisions. If your going to be blowing your own money on a football club you are going to run it yourself, very like DW has always done.
I say blowing money by the way because investment is truly the wrong word in football. Investment suggests a return, and as DW once said, the only people who make money out of football are the players. Although I would the agents to that obviously.

Does anyone know if Peter Reid has been offered a contract as he is part of Cookys management team.

Brilliant news. He's very honest and down to earth and as the season has gone on he has said and done all the right things.
Has a good backroom team as well that he uses with great effect.

Some interesting comments on this thread. Especially as some contributors are now saying it wasn't a good decision whether using hindsight or not.

Some interesting comments on this thread. Especially as some contributors are now saying it wasn't a good decision whether using hindsight or not.

Not sure if you are doing it on purpose or not, but you are conflating 2 points

Point 1 - giving him a new contract at the time - No one was against that, everyone including me was happy with that call.

Point 2 - it appears the contract we have given him makes him very difficult to sack financially - we didn't know that at the time - if we did that would've been discussed in this thread as it would've been a concern. There is no problem rewarding a manager who got you promoted or hiring a manager who is completely unproven at a level - you don't until you see them there. But you don't offer a deal that ties your hands if the manager can't make the step up. As the chairman you have to plan for the worst case scenario as well as the best. The contract offer appeared to not really take into account the worst case scenario which is what people are down on, not the initial decision.

Well done on your research -
I still stand by the comments I made at the time.

It was correct to give Cook a substantial new contract. Now it’s correct to sack him.

I’ve never understood the reluctance to pay up a deal when it’s not working. Likewise spending big to bring the right manager in.

We signed a couple of attackers that cost us £7m. They’ve 2 goals between ‘em and lost their starting places. That’s the kind of money we can’t afford to waste.