cook still bigin them up | Vital Football

cook still bigin them up

bigchap

Vital Youth Team
At it again cook stating how good the opposition are
have not lost in some many games are a wonderful team blah! blah!
your job is to bigup WAFC and to instill confidence to beat teams around us
we have proved we an compete with the big boys
BC

You must have read it differently than what he actually said

MANAGER FEELS HIS SIDE DESERVED TO TAKE ALL THREE POINTS AFTER DRAW WITH THE BAGGIES AT THE DW STADIUM.
  • Watch | Paul Cook “delighted” with his players after draw with West Brom
  • Manager felt his side deserved all three points at the DW
  • Paul Cook: “I think the players can take great pride in how they played tonight.”
Wigan Athletic manager Paul Cook said he was delighted with his side as they produced a fine performance and were unfortunate not to be joint Sky Bet Championship leaders West Bromwich Albion at the DW Stadium on Wednesday night.
Cook said his players should take great pride in their performance after a difficult couple of weeks.
“We were good tonight, we played really well and I am delighted with the players,” Cook said. “We have to keep going; we get a lot of criticism and that is the nature of the game we are in but 21 games into the season and that’s probably our best performance of the season tonight against a very strong team.
“I am so disappointed we didn’t win because we deserved to. When you see the one bounce off the bar and come out you just feel it is not going to be our day.
“I think the players can take great pride in how they played tonight.”
Injuries and suspension forced Latics into seven changes from Saturday’s defeat at Luton Town and Cook highlighted the performance of Kal Naismith in defence for praise.
“We had great chances and I was pleased tonight,” Cook continued. “I was really pleased for all of the players that come in to the team.
“Kal Naismith played left-sided centre half in what could have been a difficult game in in difficult circumstances after the last performance at home, but I thought he showed absolutely amazing courage and was outstanding all night.”
Latics conceded their leveller in bizarre circumstances after a mistake from goalkeeper Jamie Jones and Cook says the learning curve for his squad is to keep their habits good, moving forwards.
“I am so disappointed with the goal,” he added. “I watched it up on the gantry and I just don’t understand it. We have spoken about concentration and your habits, because football is about your habits.
“We got tired in the first-half after 35 minutes of being good – we were excellent – and then we just got a bit sloppy, the better teams stay on their habits.”

Unfortunately, as I've suggested before, the (understandable) feelings towards Cook mean that people (subconsciously or otherwise) pick up on the things that irritate them most or look for the negatives that aren't always necessarily there. It has become a weekly highlight for me to read peoples interpretations of his comments.

Unfortunately, as I've suggested before, the (understandable) feelings towards Cook mean that people (subconsciously or otherwise) pick up on the things that irritate them most or look for the negatives that aren't always necessarily there. It has become a weekly highlight for me to read peoples interpretations of his comments.

It'll take much more than one draw, albeit a good performance, to drag his reputation out of the proverbial latrine. Especially when that one good performance was when he wasn't even at pitchside.

Could legitimately argue that his presence is a negative factor on that basis. Admittedly, the sample size is one so it's hardly five sigma proof, but 100% of the games he's not been there have been better performances than 100% of the performances this season (and most in the previous season) where he has been there... Something to discuss if nothing else.

I don't think anything could redeem Cook in my view, though. The combination of stubbornly sticking to a plan that's time and time again failed miserably, alongside constant comments which undermine the confidence of players, make them feel inferior to their opposition, then criticise fans and blame bad luck (it's not luck after so many consecutive late capitulations). Did I mention throwing players under the metaphorical bus to cynically try to deflect fans' ire off himself?

He's an incompetent, cowardly, ignorant waste of space. He's beyond any redemption to me. The only positive comment Cook could make is "I resign". He could then slightly further redeem himself at that point by promising never to show his face in Wigan again.

The thing is; Most of his comments about us and the opposition are borne out of an inferiority complex from when he played for us and could only draw a couple of thousand to SP. He forgets that we played and beat the likes of city, arsenal, chelsea, united AND his beloved liverpool in front of sell out crowds at the DW for 8 years.

The thing is; Most of his comments about us and the opposition are borne out of an inferiority complex from when he played for us and could only draw a couple of thousand to SP. He forgets that we played and beat the likes of city, arsenal, chelsea, united AND his beloved liverpool in front of sell out crowds at the DW for 8 years.

And 3 Prem clubs in the FA Cup 18 months ago.

Here are some comments I've just read prior to Saturday's game. What do we think ?

I watched their last game ....... they possessed the ball, they asked [them] an awful lot of questions, they carried real threat in wide areas and looked good on the counter attack.

“We understand they’re a good team......

“They haven’t got value for their performances, but we are under no illusions of how hard it’ll be against [them].”

Here are some comments I've just read prior to Saturday's game. What do we think ?

I watched their last game ....... they possessed the ball, they asked [them] an awful lot of questions, they carried real threat in wide areas and looked good on the counter attack.

“We understand they’re a good team......

“They haven’t got value for their performances, but we are under no illusions of how hard it’ll be against [them].”

No harm in that. Even Slaven Bilic said before Wednesday that he didn't expect an easy ride from us. There's a big difference between saying we're prepared for a tough game and saying we're not at the same level as them. It was only a few years back that we were leaving them with their jaws hitting the floor after a huge FA cup demolition. It will be a hard game for both teams and there's no way we should fear it. It sounds like we've done our research on them and are fully prepared, which is much more like the attitude that we expect

It'll take much more than one draw, albeit a good performance, to drag his reputation out of the proverbial latrine. Especially when that one good performance was when he wasn't even at pitchside.

Could legitimately argue that his presence is a negative factor on that basis. Admittedly, the sample size is one so it's hardly five sigma proof, but 100% of the games he's not been there have been better performances than 100% of the performances this season (and most in the previous season) where he has been there... Something to discuss if nothing else.

I don't think anything could redeem Cook in my view, though. The combination of stubbornly sticking to a plan that's time and time again failed miserably, alongside constant comments which undermine the confidence of players, make them feel inferior to their opposition, then criticise fans and blame bad luck (it's not luck after so many consecutive late capitulations). Did I mention throwing players under the metaphorical bus to cynically try to deflect fans' ire off himself?

He's an incompetent, cowardly, ignorant waste of space. He's beyond any redemption to me. The only positive comment Cook could make is "I resign". He could then slightly further redeem himself at that point by promising never to show his face in Wigan again.

I'd argue that in football a lot can change very quickly. I don't think it's likely he will be able to do enough to swing opinions back to wanting him to stay as so much damage has been done and it's such a long way back. But I wouldn't say it is impossible to redeem himself but I can't see it happening without a bit of a Martinez like overnight transformation during that mega 10 game run that came out of nowhere.