Controversial, but Wilson | Page 2 | Vital Football

Controversial, but Wilson

Ekitike will benefit if we keep Wilson. He's the future, Wilson is now, sell Wilson and the pressures on, keep him and he's got time to develop

It's a decent return on a personal level

It isn't good enough as a total from your main striker over a season though

It's a similar situation to Shearer for me - no room for sentiment and with a recent history of long term injuries should be moved on

Well Mac , it's nice to be in a position that I trust those that are the team and club to make the right decision. Something I've not said since the days of Keegan.

"trust those that are the team and club to make the right decision"

Sounds strange indeed but ultimately that's my feeling as well......for now

Howe specifically mentioned the effort Wilson put in to get back, having caught up with the last few games I could see the confidence he had in his physical strength, not that he was a shrinking violet before mind.

I can only imagine he is on a strength and conditioning regime designed to minimise the possibilities of injuries, if not it's only right to question the reasons for sticking with him in light of his age as well as a 44 game return since signing two seasons ago.

If we don't get two strikers in it will be interesting to see how we progress with Wilson and Wood, I'm not counting on Gayle being with us.

Wilson has done well to come back from 2 ruptured cruciate ligaments in successive seasons. His first kept him out from September 2015 to April 2016 and his next saw him out from February 2017 until the October.

Since then and up until his recent long term calf tear, he's only missed an average of about 5 games a season with hamstring issues or muscle strains. Basic stuff.

Im fully in the keeping him for this season camp in giving him the chance to stake his claim with the likes of Ekitike learning their trade off him.

He's only reached double figures twice in his PL career

He's no better to us than the likes of Perez was in terms of seasonal totals

He stays fit this next season then there's no real excuse for not getting 20 goals or more. If not then your point is proven.

Wilson has done well to come back from 2 ruptured cruciate ligaments in successive seasons. His first kept him out from September 2015 to April 2016 and his next saw him out from February 2017 until the October.

Since then and up until his recent long term calf tear, he's only missed an average of about 5 games a season with hamstring issues or muscle strains. Basic stuff.

Im fully in the keeping him for this season camp in giving him the chance to stake his claim with the likes of Ekitike learning their trade off him.
I agree, but no matter how it's spun Wilson is a gamble.
Fingers crossed the only thing Ekitike doesn't end up learning is how to rehab.

He offers much more in regards to how we can play when he's in the side. It's always if he's in the side though . If the club can upgrade on him, great, if they can support him, get the best out of him without exploiting his weaknesses, great. If they think Wilson , Wood and Ekitike (if he signs) are enough to get us top six they're gambling.

He offers much more in regards to how we can play when he's in the side. It's always if he's in the side though . If the club can upgrade on him, great, if they can support him, get the best out of him without exploiting his weaknesses, great. If they think Wilson , Wood and Ekitike (if he signs) are enough to get us top six they're gambling.

Oh aye - I'm just making the loose point the season total needs to increase by quite a margin

Perez often played as a second striker or on the wing - our "number 9' should ideally be in the mid to high teens and Wilson has barely managed that in his PL career

If retained, Wilson would ideally be cover for a real quality centre forward - I like him but just don't feel he's next level

He's the second best English striker around. He's better than Calvert Lewin who we are supposedly linked to.

Perez was mediocre and still is. He needed 38 games to hit double figures

If someone guaranteed we'd get an upgrade on Wilson then I'd entertain selling him but nobody can guarantee that. Even then, we're that light up front it's better to keep him as a squad player. Realistically who's gonna bid big money for an injury prone striker who's almost 30. Selling Makes no sense no matter what way you look at it.