Connor Ogilvie | Vital Football

Connor Ogilvie

He has played a fair bit recently so I expect it to be renewed to the end of season. I like him more as centre back than LB/LWB but he is a useful squad member if the price is right. If we are paying a lot for his services then I might prefer the money to be spent elsewhere on a different, more attack minded LB/LWB

I have a feeling he will stay unless Spurs get a better offer for his services.However while I agree he is useful to have around the fact that our right back (Fuller)has done a better job there leaves questions.I think it will come down to who else is available and who else is leaving.

No disrespect to him but I don't think he knows how to defend he has a great delivery for crosses and I wouldn't be to disappointed if he left as long as he was replaced

First thing is first _ hes an average left sided player. He struggles to get back in position when he goes forward as he has no pace. He plays too narrow and often hides in the middle whilst Parker or a left mid covers for him. He can head a ball. His crosses are inconsistent and often wayward. Jamal Lowe tore him to shreds Wednesday V Portsmouth.
Second half every player upped their game and Reilly Covered for him..
Fuller - for me well look how many goals he has cost us this season.
Plymouth, 2/3 of the goals ? Blackpool His man had a non contested header (Osbourne)) fuller got no where near him. Wycombe headed back into his own box resulting in a goal. The crowd like him purely because he tries hard. We have a perfectly good left/wing back in Garmston and it is crazy not to use him IMO. Any full back will be exposed if the midfield do not cover, and our midfield have been woeful at times eg Byrne and Parrot, Reilly. How Byrne keeps his place is beyond me at times the number of goals hes been responsible for

We have a perfectly good left/wing back in Garmston and it is crazy not to use him IMO. Any full back will be exposed if the midfield do not cover, and our midfield have been woeful at times eg Byrne and Parrot, Reilly.

Have to totally disagree about Garmston. OK going forward but no discernible defensive instincts whatsoever. Shows wingers inside rather than outside and seems to back off, back off, back off, etc, rather than making a tackle. I don't know whether that is down to the fact that injuries either keep him out or play on his mind but, either way, he is no use to us if he can not attend to his main function, i.e defending and blocking.

Ogilvie is not brilliant either but I can see why he is preferred.

Interesting that you seem to contradict yourself by saying "Any full back will be exposed if the midfield do not cover, and our midfield have been woeful at times eg Byrne and Parrot, Reilly" after claiming earlier in your post that Reilly covered for Ogilvie on Wednesday. Or am I reading that wrong?

Also, Jamal Lowe "tore him to shreds" in the first half of a game where we kept a clean sheet?

Ogilvie much improved this time around and enjoying some of his best form. Lack of pace his achilles heel but a good player technically and some great crosses from deep and the byline. If he was quick he would be elsewhere. He gets into similar difficulties that Joe Martin faced and has similar strengths but looks like he is keener to play for us.

Wide players at all the better clubs are good, quick and start games trying for an early advantage. Hang on in, contain, disappoint and move forward. Both our full backs just about managed that against the top side, not three bad.

I don't agree Bluenose the reason they go inside is because they cant beat Garmston on the outside. I've never seen anyone one on one go around Garmston.
Joghills both our Fullbacks got beaten too easily first half. It was Portmouths woeful finishing that cost them. WE got very very lucky. AS I said that goal of ours came at the perfect time and our Midfield played out of their skins second half

Portsmouth manager was more generous in his assessment. We earned any luck we had and had a couple of very presentable chances ourselves. It would be great to have two very good full backs with real pace but they are in high demand and probably outside our reach. I too think Garmston could be good; he needs to seize the chance and stay fit next time. A greater awareness of the space behind him would swing it in his favour.

Most sides appear to go narrow at the back to me and it's nerve wracking to watch. I don't pretend to understand the tactics but we are not alone.

This stuff about Portsmouth's 'woeful' finishing is way off the mark. Portsmouth missed one clear cut chance. It came in the second half when they worked the ball down their left and Hawkins blazed over from the cut back. In every other single instance we prevented a clear sight at goal. It was either through excellent blocks like the one from Byrne in the first half or through pressure from Zakuani, Lacey or Ogilvie which meant that not once did Portsmouth have a free uncontested header at our goal. None of that is good luck. It is our good defensive play, a fact recognised by Kenny Jackett and other commentators.

I suggest you look at a full 90 + injury time of the game. To me Portsmouth should have had about 6 goals, but for some reason they couldn't finish. The first half showed how crap our midfield are. Portsmouth's passing at speed and either direct to their player or just in front of his stride was a blinding display of what we are not capable of.

Totally agree Hardy I walked away from that game wondering how the hell we won it. Our midfield are very poor

As I was there I saw it all. In the first half Portsmouth had one close range shot blocked by Byrne a shot under pressure that just went wide and a couple of saves by Holy neither particularly difficult but that was because we stopped the Portsmouth player’s getting a clear sight of goal. In the second half there was a cross come shot that was missed at the far post, the shot over, a couple of headers under pressure that were over and a couple of shots straight at Holy. It’s not the description of a side under heavy pressure. Why do some feel the need to talk the side down for christ’s sake. I thought this was a site for supporters.

Waldo are you still Pissed on the Christmas juice or something ? Holy stopped a certain goal from point blank range in the first half. Aside from that they had loads of clear cut chances that they blazed over the bar or just missed the target. Ogilvie was still in Portmouths half when they counter attacked let alone putting any pressure on them ?

I suggest you look at a full 90 + injury time of the game. To me Portsmouth should have had about 6 goals, but for some reason they couldn't finish. The first half showed how crap our midfield are. Portsmouth's passing at speed and either direct to their player or just in front of his stride was a blinding display of what we are not capable of.
I’d agree about our crap midfield in the first half. Byrne and Parrett in particular were terrible, there was a 20 min spell where every time Parrett got the ball, he lost it by being tackled, a misplaced pass or kicking it out - but then when he had a bit more time and space he picked out List with an excellent pass to setup the goal.
The opening half hour though showed how poor we are at retaining the ball, with nothing sticking up front (Hanlan was completely ineffective) and with the midfielders unable to pass to a teammate, it was difficult to watch.
I lost count of the number of throw ins, but then saw Lovell say after the game it was a tactic to keep it down the sides - presumably so Portsmouth couldn’t play through us.

Another manager recently said our tactic is to constantly re-start the game ie with lots of throw ins, fouls leading to free kicks etc to disrupt the rhythm of the opposition. We do generally try to get forward with long balls into the channels- many of which are headed out, then try to fashion a cross or get a corner from there. The goal was really out of the blue as it was the one good bit of play of the half for us.

And Joghills I think the last time Garmston had a knock was in the shrewsbury match where he took a kick to the foot and we were winning at that point. He was fit next game and has been ever since. Then Fuller took over and we lost 2-1 and SL has played Fuller since. If Fuller is up for player of the year then it shows how bad the rest are Portmouth got be hind him so many times. Garmston just needs a run in the side and the midfield to wake up for all games. Portmouth gave our midfield as so many teams have in passing and moving. Yes I know you are going to say we beat Portmouth but weve lost many games because of our inability in midfield. Parrot needs to wake up as well

For accuracy Barry Fuller did head one away from close to the line and Portsmouth did have a shot in the second half that hit one of their own players. Otherwise, together with the other chances I listed, that was about it.