Congratulations Wycombe | Vital Football

Congratulations Wycombe

Ainsworth was asked a question at the end that started with how have you done it with the smallest budget in the division, and he answered that they might not have had the absolute lowest budget, that Accrington and Rochdale were down there with them, but no mention of Gills!
Has Big Steve been telling fibs?

Wycombe showed it can be done though with a team that is very organised and competitive, and dangerous from set pieces.
Oxford over-played time and time again, passing responsibilities from one player to another instead of shooting on goal. For The penalty that led to the winning goal, the lad was offside when the ball was played over the top, so it would have been ruled out with VAR! It may even have gone out of play before hand - Sky never showed a replay of that incident.

Yep, congratulations to Wycombe, they done well considering they were outside the playoff positions when the season was halted.

Ainsworth was asked a question at the end that started with how have you done it with the smallest budget in the division, and he answered that they might not have had the absolute lowest budget, that Accrington and Rochdale were down there with them, but no mention of Gills!
Has Big Steve been telling fibs?

Wycombe showed it can be done though with a team that is very organised and competitive, and dangerous from set pieces.
Oxford over-played time and time again, passing responsibilities from one player to another instead of shooting on goal. For The penalty that led to the winning goal, the lad was offside when the ball was played over the top, so it would have been ruled out with VAR! It may even have gone out of play before hand - Sky never showed a replay of that incident.

If Ainsworth had said not absolute lowest budget and mentioned Rochdale and Gillingham someone on a forum would have gone “ no mention of Accrington?“

Massive achievement for them regardless on how the season finished! As I am a 20 minute bus journey, then 20 minutes on a train to Wycombe might take in a championship game when safe to do so!

I’ve just watched it without knowing the result.
I think Oxford were the better footballing side but good luck to Wycombe.
Next year will be interesting for them but how great for their fans.

On the strength of their performances against the Gills, I thought that Oxford would easily win the final.

I think Oxford was one of the best oppositions we came up against last season and Wycombe looked ordinary.

Amazing to think that we inflicted their only league defeat before 21st December.

Even more amazing to think that it was by way of a Ndjoli double !

think Oxford was one of the best oppositions we came up against last season and Wycombe looked ordinary.
Yes Oxford were one of the best teams seen at Bloomfield road last season and just under one thousand fans travelled to the match.
Anyway well done Wycombe, I had them at the beginning of the season as possible relegation candidates along with Southend.

Last edited:
So next season we've got Ipswich, Sunderland, Peterborough, Portsmouth and Oxford - plus the 3 relegated from the Championship. It's going to be tough! Another 10th would do for me.

I think you can definitely add Bristol Rovers to that mix with the investment and backing they now have. Plus Blackpool and Donny will also be contenders again I imagine.

Put me down as satisfied with 10th as well. But don’t tell SE.....

Well done Wycombe Wanderers, tremendous result. The central defender Anthony Stewart was really impressive in all three play-off games - pacey, brave and industrious - and a product of Wycombe`s youth system. Would like to see him in a GFC shirt. Wanderers do have some quality characters in their team - can`t help being impressed by Joe Jacobson, great dead ball exponent and seems like a thoroughly nice and very eloquent chap. Onyedinma, who some had linked with Gills pre-season, really worked hard, back-tracked consistently and has some nice touches. Then, of course, the one and only Bayo. With respect to Bayo, i`m not sure his pace is up to Championship level and i`d be surprised to see him on the field for Wanderers next season. However, there would appear to be a future for the big man in either coaching or in the media - or both. Good luck to the Chairboys in the Championship.

So next season we've got Ipswich, Sunderland, Peterborough, Portsmouth and Oxford - plus the 3 relegated from the Championship. It's going to be tough! Another 10th would do for me.

I think some of those clubs you list will have much higher permanent wage bills and bigger squads so will have been affected by Covid more than us.

Posh are always gambling by offering large salaries and I suspect that Toney will be their first departure. The ownership at Sunderland is always problematic and I suspect they may have some players still on Championship scale wages. As it was, we arguably outplayed both of them, as well as Ipswich, on their own turf.

As for Brizzle, don't forget Bury had investment and backing a couple of years back when they signed Maguire and a few others, only to fight relegation all season, ultimately going down.

Pleased for Bayo. Delighted that Robinson lost - a complete a##e!

Although I only hope that next season we enjoy as much luck as Wycombe got this season!

Pleased for Bayo. Delighted that Robinson lost - a complete a##e!

Although I only hope that next season we enjoy as much luck as Wycombe got this season!
Good point Phil.
If the season had run it’s course, Wycombe probably would not have made the playoffs.
They were in free fall.
However, it is what it is and bloody good luck to them.

It was a good interview with Bayo but his constant self-promotion irritates me a bit. He makes it all about him, when (on the pitch) he had very little impact on the match. He is always promoting his Beast Mode brand and trying to get media work.
He certainly had an impact as a coach though, and I could see him getting a player coach role next season, Ainsworth said he wouldn’t be without him.