Congrats Mr Nates,job well done. | Page 2 | Vital Football

Congrats Mr Nates,job well done.

On a serious note it would appear that there is some cash tucked away when required.
The board appear to be running in a proper manner and has been many clubs could learn from us.

Chesterimp, I could not agree more. What a perceptive comment that is!

Of course, I am now going to bore everyone to death by explaining why. I'm sorry, but those of you who know me will know that it is in my nature to do so.

As I have (probably too often) said on here, Bob gave me a huge amount of his time and commitment when I was writing Six Years In Purgatory. I will always be grateful for that, because he gave me a piece of his soul and was never less than disarmingly honest. If anything, I found him too self-critical; and remember, this was before we started our astounding run to the National League title, Arsenal, and a place in Valhalla.

On 29 November 2016 - a freezing cold, but beautiful blue-skied frosty day - Bob gave me seven hours of his time prior to the home game against Wrexham. I recorded our conversation in full for posterity - and also because I have a terrible memory - and what he told me that day stands as a truly startling record of where the club was at that critical moment in time.

I believe that very day represents a massive turning point in the club's history. That night, an Elliott Whitehouse goal gave the Imps a 1-0 win over Wrexham despite playing the majority of the game with ten men after the early dismissal of Sean Raggett. The crowd was 3,344, and it was the last time any Lincoln City league game was watched by fewer than 5,000. In truth, there have not been many attendances since that day of fewer than 8,000. Besides representing the genesis of some truly extraordinary statistics, that day was a gigantic turning point in the 135-year history of our club, and I will be eternally grateful that Bob chose that very day to speak his mind.

Of course, it was impossible for me to include everything Bob told me in the book, for a multitude of reasons. But what he did tell me was revealing in a host of ways, and what was immediately and constantly apparent was his love for his club and his pathological unwillingness to admit anyone who did not have the best intentions of Lincoln City at heart. Whilst those around him turned tail and ran, Bob held firm. Given the circumstances, I think that is truly extraordinary.

To put it as simply as I can, Bob turned down 'investment' opportunities in Lincoln City despite having his back almost permanently to the wall. It would have been very easy - astoundingly easy - to accept an offer from any one of the shysters and asset-strippers who were homing in on what they thought was a corpse, and to run away scot-free from any legal responsibility with a fat pile of cash in his pocket.

I would like you all to consider Steve Dale at this point.

Got that fixed in your mind?

Good.

The true value of Bob Dorrian's contribution to the history and - most importantly - the survival of Lincoln City may not be realised in his lifetime. Or even in mine. But make no mistake about it: there were times when Bob did not know which way to turn for debt, yet he was determined to make the right decision for the club regardless of the cost to him personally. Even in the face of some ill-informed and unjustified abuse, he refused to compromise his love for the club. He was born literally within earshot of Sincil Bank, remember, and is a lifelong fan of the club like every one of us. Unlike every one of us, he even played for the club, for a short period under Ron Gray. That is a powerful and sincere relationship, right there.

Unfortunately, I suspect that Bob was not completely satisfied with Six Years In Purgatory, and I regret that. When I first met with him prior to the home game against Solihull Moors (13 September 2016) to discuss the Six Years In Purgatory concept, he made a very perceptive observation:

"Alright, although I fear I may not come out of this too well."

Reading through the book now - more than two years after publication - there are some things that I would probably change. After all, the uncompromising nature of hindsight often casts a shadow of inaccuracy over the contemporary. That is only natural, and I was aware of that at the time of writing. I would like to believe that I avoided the major pitfalls of proximity and immediacy, but it is foolish of me to expect so. Such are the pitfalls of being arrogant enough to write a book. However, the facts are there, and they remain facts.

To his and the club's credit, the book remains on sale in the club shops regardless of Bob's personal opinion of it. I have not seen Bob since that day in November 2016, although there have been emails and bush telegraphs. But if I am ever fortunate enough to be in his vicinity again, I will be the first one to shake his hand and thank him regardless of his opinion of me or my book.

Why?

It is very easy to believe that Lincoln City is the club you see today because of the advent of Clive Nates, and to a huge extent that is true. Clive, thank you. But the platform for survival was firstly created and secondly maintained by Bob Dorrian, and by him almost alone. At this point, thank you to Chris Moyses - another unfairly maligned director/supporter - and to Roger Bates latterly.

Finally, when we talk about character, some believe it started with Danny Cowley. They would be wrong. Cowley - and the equally extraordinary Clive Nates - was the result of someone else's character.

Dominoes.

I will leave you to decide whose character started everything.

Absolutely spot on. Things were a lot worse than people knew. Me included.

this is going to take more than a whip round in coop upper 5 to get this off the ground.
I stand firm that Antony Gormley has to get the commission and we are going to have to pay top dollar.
This Gormley got a big event going off in London (RA exhibition) ends Dec 3 lets
bend his ear and see if he could knock something up sharpish in time for the Christmas Market.
check it out,to me he looks like he started as a steel fixer and just got bored so went all arty.
https://www.royalacademy.org.uk/exhibition/antony-gormley
Art is a very subjective word. I saw him taking John Snow around his exhibition. Some of the explanations he was giving were pure horse shit! Maybe I'm just a gruff uncultured northern scumbag, but what often tries to pass as art both baffles and creases me up at times.

Of course, I am now going to bore everyone to death by explaining why. I'm sorry, but those of you who know me will know that it is in my nature to do so.

As I have (probably too often) said on here, Bob gave me a huge amount of his time and commitment when I was writing Six Years In Purgatory. I will always be grateful for that, because he gave me a piece of his soul and was never less than disarmingly honest. If anything, I found him too self-critical; and remember, this was before we started our astounding run to the National League title, Arsenal, and a place in Valhalla.

On 29 November 2016 - a freezing cold, but beautiful blue-skied frosty day - Bob gave me seven hours of his time prior to the home game against Wrexham. I recorded our conversation in full for posterity - and also because I have a terrible memory - and what he told me that day stands as a truly startling record of where the club was at that critical moment in time.

I believe that very day represents a massive turning point in the club's history. That night, an Elliott Whitehouse goal gave the Imps a 1-0 win over Wrexham despite playing the majority of the game with ten men after the early dismissal of Sean Raggett. The crowd was 3,344, and it was the last time any Lincoln City league game was watched by fewer than 5,000. In truth, there have not been many attendances since that day of fewer than 8,000. Besides representing the genesis of some truly extraordinary statistics, that day was a gigantic turning point in the 135-year history of our club, and I will be eternally grateful that Bob chose that very day to speak his mind.

Of course, it was impossible for me to include everything Bob told me in the book, for a multitude of reasons. But what he did tell me was revealing in a host of ways, and what was immediately and constantly apparent was his love for his club and his pathological unwillingness to admit anyone who did not have the best intentions of Lincoln City at heart. Whilst those around him turned tail and ran, Bob held firm. Given the circumstances, I think that is truly extraordinary.

To put it as simply as I can, Bob turned down 'investment' opportunities in Lincoln City despite having his back almost permanently to the wall. It would have been very easy - astoundingly easy - to accept an offer from any one of the shysters and asset-strippers who were homing in on what they thought was a corpse, and to run away scot-free from any legal responsibility with a fat pile of cash in his pocket.

Good.

The true value of Bob Dorrian's contribution to the history and - most importantly - the survival of Lincoln City may not be realised in his lifetime. Or even in mine. But make no mistake about it: there were times when Bob did not know which way to turn for debt, yet he was determined to make the right decision for the club regardless of the cost to him personally. Even in the face of some ill-informed and unjustified abuse, he refused to compromise his love for the club. He was born literally within earshot of Sincil Bank, remember, and is a lifelong fan of the club like every one of us. Unlike every one of us, he even played for the club, for a short period under Ron Gray. That is a powerful and sincere relationship, right there.

Unfortunately, I suspect that Bob was not completely satisfied with Six Years In Purgatory, and I regret that. When I first met with him prior to the home game against Solihull Moors (13 September 2016) to discuss the Six Years In Purgatory concept, he made a very perceptive observation:

Reading through the book now - more than two years after publication - there are some things that I would probably change. After all, the uncompromising nature of hindsight often casts a shadow of inaccuracy over the contemporary. That is only natural, and I was aware of that at the time of writing. I would like to believe that I avoided the major pitfalls of proximity and immediacy, but it is foolish of me to expect so. Such are the pitfalls of being arrogant enough to write a book. However, the facts are there, and they remain facts.

To his and the club's credit, the book remains on sale in the club shops regardless of Bob's personal opinion of it. I have not seen Bob since that day in November 2016, although there have been emails and bush telegraphs. But if I am ever fortunate enough to be in his vicinity again, I will be the first one to shake his hand and thank him regardless of his opinion of me or my book.

Why?

It is very easy to believe that Lincoln City is the club you see today because of the advent of Clive Nates, and to a huge extent that is true. Clive, thank you. But the platform for survival was firstly created and secondly maintained by Bob Dorrian, and by him almost alone. At this point, thank you to Chris Moyses - another unfairly maligned director/supporter - and to Roger Bates latterly.

Finally, when we talk about character, some believe it started with Danny Cowley. They would be wrong. Cowley - and the equally extraordinary Clive Nates - was the result of someone else's character.

Dominoes.

As one of the club's newer fans, but old enough to still be interested in reading non-electronic print, I must say your book sounds like compulsory reading.
A must buy on my next visit to the club shop.
Thanks.

This is an appointment that has me feeling optimistic again about what's next for Lincoln. On paper appears a better appointment than Flynn, Adkins and Ainsworth. Had lowered my expectations to very mid table but considering everything I've heard from/about Appleton I think just outside play offs is still realistic.

Off the pitch, I hope Appleton can continue the good work the Cowleys were doing in the community. Unfortunately they are possibly the best in England at work within football and sport in the community. On the pitch I expect he may be tactically better than the brothers, who for all their many many positives did occasionally get bettered in League 2 last season. I know many won't want to see comparisons but they are only natural.

Good.

Why?

Dominoes.

Totally 100% spot on in every way.

It's why I always make sure to give Bob all the credit he deserves.

Also Chris Moyses too. Some forget that half the players, that got us the National League title and all the FA Cup wins right through to Burnley and to the Arsenal QF, had been signed by Chris, not by Danny.
And signed with very very little funds to play with.

Totally 100% spot on in every way.

It's why I always make sure to give Bob all the credit he deserves.

Also Chris Moyses too. Some forget that half the players, that got us the National League title and all the FA Cup wins right through to Burnley and to the Arsenal QF, had been signed by Chris, not by Danny.
Not this old chestnut again..

In all seriousness, this seems a very good appointment under tough circumstances (mid season, having to follow the Cowleys). As like many, wasn't sure on Appleton at first, but the more I read, the more I liked. This feels like an appointment that can keep the momentum going and I'm really excited to see what stle of football we gets us to play.

Hope to meet an ex work colleague at SB today, avid 'follow them anywhere' 'U's fan, will get his honest objective opinion regarding Appleton. My first game without the Cowleys, feels very odd at the moment but getting over it !!
UTI.

Amazing to see an owner travelling around the world to personally take care of all the detail. Wouldn't happen everywhere.

This is a truely shocking and appalling appointment
It quite probably reaches a new low in the history of the club

How can we appoint a man who has walked out on another contract to take up a position he and the rest of the footballing world see as an an exciting new challenge???

I have been on the WBA u23 Messageboard and it is full of people venting their spleens in unison, agreeing that they hope we lose every game this season and get relegated nerr nerr nerr nerr nerr and saying they will scweam and scweam until they're sick.

Are there any other professional clubs in England, where the Chairman is revered as much as the players?

This is a truely shocking and appalling appointment
It quite probably reaches a new low in the history of the club

How can we appoint a man who has walked out on another contract to take up a position he and the rest of the footballing world see as an an exciting new challenge???

I have been on the WBA u23 Messageboard and it is full of people venting their spleens in unison, agreeing that they hope we lose every game this season and get relegated nerr nerr nerr nerr nerr and saying they will scweam and scweam until they're sick.

I agree, tell-it-like-it's-olive.

And just a little illustration of how football fortunes can change in such a short time....

It's not that long ago that we were dumped out of the FA Trophy by North Ferriby...we did then get some revenge for that by doing the double over them in the Cowleys first season.
We are now in League One after two promotions, whilst North Ferriby have gone down twice, been liquidated, and are now revived a full seven levels below us and today travel to Skegness !!!
All that in just over 2 years....

Always found the claim of half to be a little bit of a myth though would agree on the FA Cup front.

Moyses players to have made a start were Beevers, Hawkridge, Howe, McCombe, Muldoon, Rhead, Waterfall and Wood.

Holdsworth was Farman & Tilson was Power.

% of starts in the league by managers signed
Cowley - 277 of 506 (54.74%)
Moyses - 171 of 506 (33.79%)
Holdsworth - 44 of 506 (8.70%)
Tilson - 14 of 506 (2.77%)

% of starts in the FA Cup by managers signed
Cowley - 42 of 99 (42.42%)
Moyses - 41 of 99 (41.41%)
Holdsworth - 9 of 99 (9.09%)
Tilson - 7 of 99 (7.07%)

% of starts in the FA Trophy by managers signed
Cowley - 34 of 66 (51.52%)
Moyses - 23 of 66 (34.85%)
Holdsworth - 5 of 66 (7.58%)
Tilson - 4 of 66 (6.06%)

% of starts overall by managers signed
Cowley - 353 of 671 (52.61%)
Moyses - 235 of 671 (35.02%)
Holdsworth - 58 of 671 (8.64%)
Tilson - 25 of 671 (3.73%)

Always found the claim of half to be a little bit of a myth though would agree on the FA Cup front.

Moyses players to have made a start were Beevers, Hawkridge, Howe, McCombe, Muldoon, Rhead, Waterfall and Wood.

Holdsworth was Farman & Tilson was Power.

% of starts in the league by managers signed
Cowley - 277 of 506 (54.74%)
Moyses - 171 of 506 (33.79%)
Holdsworth - 44 of 506 (8.70%)
Tilson - 14 of 506 (2.77%)

% of starts in the FA Cup by managers signed
Cowley - 42 of 99 (42.42%)
Moyses - 41 of 99 (41.41%)
Holdsworth - 9 of 99 (9.09%)
Tilson - 7 of 99 (7.07%)

% of starts in the FA Trophy by managers signed
Cowley - 34 of 66 (51.52%)
Moyses - 23 of 66 (34.85%)
Holdsworth - 5 of 66 (7.58%)
Tilson - 4 of 66 (6.06%)

% of starts overall by managers signed
Cowley - 353 of 671 (52.61%)
Moyses - 235 of 671 (35.02%)
Holdsworth - 58 of 671 (8.64%)
Tilson - 25 of 671 (3.73%)
Considering the mess that we were that is still very impressive by Moyses

And just a little illustration of how football fortunes can change in such a short time....

It's not that long ago that we were dumped out of the FA Trophy by North Ferriby...we did then get some revenge for that by doing the double over them in the Cowleys first season.
We are now in League One after two promotions, whilst North Ferriby have gone down twice, been liquidated, and are now revived a full seven levels below us and today travel to Skegness !!!
All that in just over 2 years....

Wow, I didn't realise that. North Fucking Ferriby, eh? That's probably about the level you'd expect them to be at, but that is a serious down-turn in fortunes.

Art is a very subjective word. I saw him taking John Snow around his exhibition. Some of the explanations he was giving were pure horse shit! Maybe I'm just a gruff uncultured northern scumbag, but what often tries to pass as art both baffles and creases me up at times.
Totally agree.
Got to give it to GOrmley when he was steelfixing he earned a few bob when he was on pricework.
The compliment you paid him regarding his work,horse shit......that's too good for him.

Geezers like him are just taking the piss ,and no way will he get that commission for Dorrians statue.

Art my arse!