Complacency | Page 4 | Vital Football

Complacency

It’s not the fans expecting to beat the likes of the teams around us it’s seeing that the management and team are showing an effort to win those games. We simply have not seen that, we have seen a team set up not to lose and never prepared to take a gamble on winning. If proof is needed the fact we haven’t scored after 76 minutes in any league game is damning. With an average of 5 minutes of injury time that is no goal in the last 20 minutes of 37 games this season. The last 15 minutes of any game is the slot when most goals are scored across all levels of football, it’s when teams bust a gut to either win or draw a game, it applies to every team at every level except us, can anyone please explain this it, is simply unbelievable.

There's a world of difference between "wish" (something many of us do) and "expect" with the kind of comments frequently seen like "disgraceful- we SHOULD be easily beating teams like XX or YY".

One, as you describe, is a wish, a hope. One is self entitlement.
You’re equating ‘expectation’ with foregone certainty. It’s possible to be expectant of a win but not shocked/surprised when it doesn’t happen. There’s wiggle room in expectation.

It’s not the fans expecting to beat the likes of the teams around us it’s seeing that the management and team are showing an effort to win those games. We simply have not seen that, we have seen a team set up not to lose and never prepared to take a gamble on winning. If proof is needed the fact we haven’t scored after 76 minutes in any league game is damning. With an average of 5 minutes of injury time that is no goal in the last 20 minutes of 37 games this season. The last 15 minutes of any game is the slot when most goals are scored across all levels of football, it’s when teams bust a gut to either win or draw a game, it applies to every team at every level except us, can anyone please explain this it, is simply unbelievable.

That is an amazing statistic and one I hadn’t picked up on

It fits in with my theory that the big changes last summer in our fitness departments have just not worked. We brought the highly rated guy in from Rotherham because, I think, of Rotherham stamina levels especially late in games.

Although I realise he has now moved to Derby, all we have had this season is the highest level of training injuries that I can remember - and the dismal record as John has pointed out of not a single goal in the last 15 minutes of games.

Although I realise our negative system of play might have had an effect on the lack of late goals, could our overall fitness levels be lacking?

Just a theory of course!

Perhaps the lack of goals in the last 15 minutes of games is down to the fact the other team is on top and we are desperately hanging on and struggle to get forward.

It fits in with my theory that the big changes last summer in our fitness departments have just not worked. We brought the highly rated guy in from Rotherham because, I think, of Rotherham stamina levels especially late in games.

Although I realise he has now moved to Derby, all we have had this season is the highest level of training injuries that I can remember - and the dismal record as John has pointed out of not a single goal in the last 15 minutes of games.

Although I realise our negative system of play might have had an effect on the lack of late goals, could our overall fitness levels be lacking?

Just a theory of course!

I think MK hinted in January a lack of options to bring on has been a bugbear of his this season, which could have an effect. I wouldn't say with a bit more depth after then (obviously not this last week or two with all the absentees but generally!) we've got better late in games though.

Certainly running loads more kilometres or whatever the chat was in pre-season hasn't translated to us looking much fitter than everyone else, I'm not sure what the stats are like for distance ran etc.

I've just renewed season tickets for myself and son, as I have for the last 20 years! Agreed that some performances have been poor, but I'm keeping the faith with MK. First job of any coach is to make a team hard to beat and he's done that ( albeit with a bit of glitch recently) . The close season will be the time to kick on in terms of getting his players in and he won't be able to do that if we don't renew season tickets.
I know its tough, and prices keep going up, so some passionate and long term supporters will not be able to renew.I'm lucky to be able to.
And thank you, Clive, for your sensible reply! I bless the day you walked into Sincil Bank.

Just a theory of course!
It doesn't matter how fit you are, or how much stamina you have, if the instructions are to keep it tight and not lose the game. You can be the fittest team in the league, it doesn't have to translate into goals - there's more to goal scoring than just fitness!