Compare Sutton V Appleton | Vital Football

Compare Sutton V Appleton

trisimp

Vital Squad Member
Tongue slightly in cheek, is there a comparison between the two?

both started well when they could loan in from PL/Championship sides

not so good in the second season when they didn’t / couldn’t attract the same quality loans

Debate

not so good in the second season when they didn’t / couldn’t attract the same quality loans

Debate
Not sure he is not able to attract the same quality loans. It is just loans that have/had the se potential but have realised it

Loans are so hard to call. A few weeks ago Whittaker 'had the finest debut ever' but now 'he's lightweight' and BNC is flavour of the day, lets see how that looks in a month's time.

What is beyond question is that Appleton is a much better coach than Sutton and therefore better at developing the players in his squad. Sutton had his contacts at Villa and Fulham but otherwise, he was an empty vessel.

The 'Appleton v Schofield' comparison earlier in the season is possibly a more relevant one? Still MA for that one on me, but both have/had weaknesses as 'manager' as opposed to 'coach'.

Loans are so hard to call. A few weeks ago Whittaker 'had the finest debut ever' but now 'he's lightweight' and BNC is flavour of the day, lets see how that looks in a month's time.

What is beyond question is that Appleton is a much better coach than Sutton and therefore better at developing the players in his squad. Sutton had his contacts at Villa and Fulham but otherwise, he was an empty vessel.

The 'Appleton v Schofield' comparison earlier in the season is possibly a more relevant one? Still MA for that one on me, but both have/had weaknesses as 'manager' as opposed to 'coach'.

Probably agree with that. I still rate Appleton but a bit disappointed he hasn't sorted out fairly consistent problems at home. Sutton, if I recall correctly, took over and we had a game at home where we won 1-0 at home to Aldershot (I think with a Sergio Torres goal)? May have been the week he took charge, and we were super organised, two banks of four with Torres in a bit of a free role and Butcher was man of the match. It really looked like we had a plan, both to defend resolutely and have a threat on the counter, and having been all over the shop in the previous weeks it was really impressive. I don't think we ever really saw that again and it became a bit of a mess - with some of the players coming in not up to scratch. At least with Mapp last season we were cohesive, which I can't remember at all bar that one game from the Sutton era.

On Whittaker, he did have a good debut but generally quite disappointed (just on that topic). I thought he was the missing piece, basically a bit of a disaster we had missed out on him in the summer based on that deadline day and a key part of the plan. But my criticism would be less that he's lightweight, I can cope with a little bit of that in an attacker, but just on the periphery. Like Cullen really, the game passes him by. Whittaker had the odd moment in the first half but comes into trouble on his left foot a lot and he isn't really rapid, not got scary pace.

Once again we only really had that pace in the full backs today and a lot of the play, bar BNC, was in front of them. I assume part of the reason for the two Swansea lads was to beef up our attack and add some guile in the final third but I think impact in that regard has been quite underwhelming. Really games like this where I want to see what they can do to break teams down but second half in particular, it's hard to remember one serious contribution. And as the attacking threat was more from the full backs, it's frustrating not to see them close to any of the crosses that then get put in. It was basically hit Marquis in amongst 5 defenders or it's a wasted cross - if we're going to cross it a lot, they don't seem to be the answer.

Sutton and Appleton both on a par, put Allan Clarke into the argument as well. You have 3 managers who they expect to live up to the players they once played in the same team as them.

Sutton and Appleton both on a par, put Allan Clarke into the argument as well. You have 3 managers who they expect to live up to the players they once played in the same team as them.
Sutton and Clarke definitely in the same bracket in that respect.

Appleton is managing a division higher and probably has the right to that expectation.

The title of this thread is nothing short of a disgrace, to be honest.
I'll defend anyones right to spout bullshit but they have to justify it.

This thread fails that test.

On a technicality, it's MA's 3rd season with the likes of Scully signed in the first.

By the equivalent stage in his (prior terminated) tenure, Sutton had his 5Live gig and we were heading for the National League, so the original, and somewhat provocative OP fails on its premise.

Debate

Both started well:lol::lol::lol:

Sutton won 2 of his first 12, lost 6 of his first 12 and we finished 20th....just 2 points above relegation. :rolleyes:

Both started well:lol::lol::lol:

Sutton won 2 of his first 12, lost 6 of his first 12 and we finished 20th....just 2 points above relegation. :rolleyes:

Although this is true and they aren't comparable at all, I think there was a general sense of optimism at the start of the following season. We'd done enough to stay up, we had a bit of an unbeaten run at one point before the end of the season and Somma had banged them in leading up to the end. One or two of the signings that obviously never panned out also seemed fairly exciting at the time. The subsequent manager clearly didn't get much of a tune out of the players post him either.

Again not saying he was good or that this is a sensible comparison!

You do know you can ignore threads that don’t suit you. There’s plenty on here I avoid

it was tongue in cheek

however the centre of my point can be considered

both relied heavily on loans and the quality of those loans were integral to our successes/failures

I personally think Appleton is more a coach than a manager

Ok, so this is your view.

Could you say in which aspects of his management (or being head coach) you believe he fails in?

Coming up with an effective strategy to stop us losing 1-0 at home. Coming up with an effective strategy to stop us giving away really really poor goals from defensive mistakes. Never really trying anything differently to reverse a now 2 season long utterly dreadful home record. You can see the players can play, but the collective isn’t equal to the sum of the parts. Therefore I’d suggest that he’s a better coach than manager, as arguably a better manager would have by now resolved the above. This Isn’t a criticism, for the model to work you probably need a coach rather than a manager as a coach will theoretically add more value to players as he makes them better as individuals but possibly to the detriment of the team.

Last edited: