Coldest Game Watching Gills | Page 3 | Vital Football

Coldest Game Watching Gills

Gills v Bradford 2002. I sat in the Gordon road stand, the wind was blowing in my face the whole game, it started snowing about half way through so I had freezing snow being blown at me and blinding me.

We lost 4-0

Dismal depressing day.

Gills v Bradford 2002. I sat in the Gordon road stand, the wind was blowing in my face the whole game, it started snowing about half way through so I had freezing snow being blown at me and blinding me.

We lost 4-0

Dismal depressing day.

This is the one I always think of when this question comes up.

Does no one else remember the Exeter game in 1972 or did everyone else die of exposure and I'm the sole survivor?

Courtesy of the Gillingham FC Scrapbook (as I wouldn`t have remembered the date or season) but, my recollection of the coldest game at Priestfield was the March 1971 home game with Swansea City. There were under 2500 present for that div 3 game, mostly because it was so cold. Game ended 0-0 and would no doubt have been called off had subsequent rules about pitch and terrace conditions been valid back then.

Courtesy of the Gillingham FC Scrapbook (as I wouldn`t have remembered the date or season) but, my recollection of the coldest game at Priestfield was the March 1971 home game with Swansea City. There were under 2500 present for that div 3 game, mostly because it was so cold. Game ended 0-0 and would no doubt have been called off had subsequent rules about pitch and terrace conditions been valid back then.

Just reading the newspaper report of this game:

"but he unfortunately tired somewhat after battling through the deeper snow on that side of the pitch in the first half"

" Gills began comfortably enough and got the measure of the treacherous snow bound pitch long before Swansea found their footing"

In a long report they were the only references to the weather - makes you wonder whether (no pun) we`re all a lot softer these days .......