Coldest Game Watching Gills | Vital Football

Coldest Game Watching Gills

iangfc

Vital Youth Team
Yesterday was freezing. Despite thick fleece, jumper and polo shirt the strong wind and chill factor made it numbingly cold. 4 pints in Fleetwood social club probably didn't help.
Only time apart from Oldham (any game) I've been that cold was Mansfield when Johnny Gayle scored with a thumping header, Big Fat Jim's save at the end and the streaker (Ashley?). Standing on the terrace that day in the sleet tested endurance. Anybody else been to a Gills game as cold as yesterday. I can't think of any but there's probably a lot I've forgotten about.

This was asked on twitter after yesterday’s game.

A lot of people nominating a 0-2 loss at Dagenham a few seasons back as being the coldest day ever at the football. And 0-1 down in the first minute. Anyone on here go to that one? Kudos.

A lot of people nominating a 0-2 loss at Dagenham a few seasons back as being the coldest day ever at the football. And 0-1 down in the first minute. Anyone on here go to that one? Kudos.
Yes I was there. Boxing Day and had a stinking cold. Didn't think it was that cold, but then I felt rough anyway. Awful performance

Two come to mind:

Back in the day a 3-1 away defeat at Grimsby

A 1-1 away at Spotlands on a Tuesday night in the depths of winter

The home game against Derby, I think, it was called off in the second half it was so cold.

the cup replay at home to barking when richie bowman had his career ending injury

I was at that game. Can’t remember about it being particularly cold, but I was probably in my 20’s and immune to such feelings.

Nowadays, if the air temp doesn’t keep my cuppa tea warm I’m reaching for my slippers. Luckily over here, it always does.

That Boxing Day game at Dagenham was the coldest I've ever been watching any game of football home or away. The performance was awful and it took about 5 hours for my feet to thaw out.

The only slightly bright spot was the 'banter' we had with the Tony Roberts.

Looks like the temperatures over there will be warm enough to keep your cuppa warm for a while in the next couple of days, OSK.

Just before Christmas 1963 at Priestfield v Southport.
I have mentioned this story before, instead of being in Cyprus we had diverted to Manston and had the opportunity to see the match thanks to a Gillingham supporting Sergeant in the RAF regiment.
We stood on a terrace in light clothing and it was freezing, although the match itself was entertaining with a good number of goals in Gillingham's favour.
It was 34 years later when I next visited and it was a tad warmer on that occasion.

Looks like the temperatures over there will be warm enough to keep your cuppa warm for a while in the next couple of days, OSK.

Mate, it has been extraordinary over here. Even before summer officially started we had temps in the 40’s on some days.

They are now predicting record temps across a lot of Aus over the coming week. Half the country has been alight with bushfires over the past month. Very scary weather at times.

Yep 2008 at Dagenham. Thin strip of open away end ice block concrete terracing and a nuclear winter performance to lose 2-0. I shiver just thinking of how cold I was that day.