Cohen, Yes. Mancienne, Why? | Vital Football

Cohen, Yes. Mancienne, Why?

VitalFootballAdmin

Vital Squad Member
Staff member
Burns doesn't have an issue with former Yeovil man Cohen signing a new contract but doesn't see why ex-Chelsea and England U21 defender Mancienne got a two year deal?

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?581392">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

I have defended Burns' opinions in the past but have to say that I totally disagree with him. Michael Mancienne is a class act. Yes he does tend to pass sideways and back - though hos forward passing has improved/developed since MW came. But to say MM doesn't win many headers makes me think just how many games doe Kenny watch or is he always on the pop and cannot see?

Disagree Nan
I think he is totally hopeless in the air, which is a cardinal sin for a central defender.

The goal conceded against Blackburn was his fault, he just could not deal with the cross.

One of the goals against Reading was down to him; he misjudged is jump and made things relatively easy for Kermogant.

The opposition know he cant head the ball and lump cross after cross in to the box.

Most of the goals we conceded this year was down to individual errors; the opposition have not had to work very hard for their goals.

He's a decent player, though totally agree that heading isn't one of his strong points. I would think the fact he can play any defensive position and midfield has something to do with it. Especially with the smaller squad MW favours. A really good squad player in that regard, as you know he will do a decent enough job in any of those positions if needed.

I don't think anyone is saying hes cack, i'm happy he signed, however he cant head for shit

Pope John XXIII - 15/5/2017 10:37

I have no interest in anything Burns or Birtles have to say.

Burns makes me look like a super positive optimist

Burns was a decent player. He is usually full of crap (and whisky)

Birtles is a top bloke.

mao tse tung - 15/5/2017 15:12

Disagree Nan
I think he is totally hopeless in the air, which is a cardinal sin for a central defender.

The goal conceded against Blackburn was his fault, he just could not deal with the cross.

One of the goals against Reading was down to him; he misjudged is jump and made things relatively easy for Kermogant.

The opposition know he cant head the ball and lump cross after cross in to the box.

Most of the goals we conceded this year was down to individual errors; the opposition have not had to work very hard for their goals.

When two players go up for a high ball the player furthest away from the direction in which the ball is coming should always be the favourite to get the ball as he often can get forward momentum into his leap. Watching from the upper Bridgford on Sunday I didn't see Mancienne miss one header from long balls punted upfield, when standing behind the attacker, certainly in the second half. I accept that his leaping for corners and crosses might not be the best, but just to say" he cannot head a ball" is patently not true.

If we are playing 3 at the back especially I think there is a role for Manc. He reads a game well, has a lick of pace and others can cover for him in the air. He's also reasonably versatile.

I agree he is a valuable asset when playing 3 at the back however I think if Worrell continues to improve he could be the exact type of defender that Manc would be good to play along side that plus his ability to pitch in at fullback and midfield

By his standards he's had a very poor season but not as bad in my opinion as say Hobbs and Mills who have contributed naff all, all 3 put in performances last season that were shadows of the levels we have all seen them perform at and frankly Fox was head and shoulders above all 3 of them

Manc, Worrell, Traore and Fox keep get rid of the others, waste of wages and those 4 are one hell of a bunch Manc quality out of form, Worrell to inexperienced to tell, Traore brilliant then shit but almost certainly injured and Fox was last season a flash in the pan and if thats his best is it good enough?

MW has a lot of work to do at the back more so on tactics and training as much as rebuilding

A 'fit' Jack Hobbs is one the best CH's in Championship.

Mills is agricultural, but still a good defender - at this level.

Traore - class act - but injured too often - hope a full pre-season changes that.

Worral - work in progress.

Manc - his versatility is his downfall to some extent - but I think as sweeper in a back 3, he is/would be a real asset.

The fact he can cover LB & RB - also helps, with the squad ethos that MW wants.

Calvin Plummer - 16/5/2017 09:50

If we are playing 3 at the back especially I think there is a role for Manc. He reads a game well, has a lick of pace and others can cover for him in the air. He's also reasonably versatile.

If we play 3 4 3 I would tend to agree; this enables us to press from the front and defend slightly higher up the pitch - this make pace at the back a necessity.

We still need leadership in the team, something we are completely devoid of at the moment.

Our Kids Dad - 16/5/2017 15:09

Kenny is just trying to justify his income.

I'd like to be a fly on the wall when Kenny comes into contact with the players he slags off.

I presume he is still a match-day host?