Club legends | Vital Football

Club legends

Dale1981

Vital Youth Team
Over the years, a number of players and managers have stood out as real crowd favourites and become legends.

These may not be players who have been the top scorer year after year or been players who tore the league apart and ended up in the Premier League. These are players who, for whatever reason, became fans favourites.

Simon Yeo would be a good example. Scored a decent number of goals (and a few at crucial moments), got a few red cards (with some of these at crucial moments!) but was always overshadowed by Gary Taylor-Fletcher in terms of skill, flair and future potential. Yeo became a legend whilst Taylor-Fletcher became a decent player of Lincoln past.

What gives a player legend status?

Who in this squad has 'legend potential'?

Matt Rhead certainly ticks a few boxes. He came in to a side that had struggled for a few years without a 20 goal a season man. He came without a great scoring record himself. He scored 20+ goals in his first season and has become an important first team player for us since. But that doesn't make him a legend. It's his size, shape, bating of the opposition and their fans that might elevate him to legend status.

Let's discuss!

Ok - I'll give it a go. Stuart 'Bimmo' Bimson. Always gave 100% & his rampaging runs down the wing from LB were legendary. Gave no quarter, uncompromising, but always cheerful & full of character. A real team player.

Trevor Thompson. Mick Harford, David Felgate, Phil Hubbard, Gordon Hobson, Trevor Peake. Goerge Shipley, John Ward, Percy Freeman, Dave Smith, Dixie McNeil, David Puttnam and Derek Bell - Those are Imps legends.

The Electric Banana - 30/10/2016 06:01

Trevor Thompson. Mick Harford, David Felgate, Phil Hubbard, Gordon Hobson, Trevor Peake. Goerge Shipley, John Ward, Percy Freeman, Dave Smith, Dixie McNeil, David Puttnam and Derek Bell - Those are Imps legends.

Trevor Thompson? Really?

Grant Brown, Alan Marriott, Gareth Ainsworth, Ricky Butcher, Peter Gain, Paul Morgan, Lee Beevers and Jamie McCombe, few more for you from recent times.

If you are talking about real legends then my top 10 would be Graver, Garvie, Neal, Freeman, Ward, Smith, Hobson, Harford, Peake and Dixie McNeil I don't think any player in the last 30 years is a true club legend IMO.