Clemence's latest comments | Vital Football

Clemence's latest comments

Buddha

Vital Football Hero
What do people think about what SC has said here?:

1. "A lot of these managers that are challenging at the top have had quite a bit of time to get their team in place. Look at the top seven teams at the moment, six of those managers have probably had three of four transfer windows, some have had six or seven. The only one who hasn’t [Mike Williamson at MK Dons] has inherited a team that has come down from League 1 and he has got players back on loan from very good clubs in January that really helped him kick on, and that person has done a very good job and fair play.

"But you do need time to build a team, and really the only person I have brought in to help us so far has been Remeao Hutton, who I think has made a good impact and given us that pace and athleticism."

2. "It is a collective thing, everyone has to contribute, unfortunately we haven’t scored on a regular basis enough, there has been occasion we have done it, we scored three goals on three occasions and come from behind on two or three occasions, which hadn’t been done at the club for a while.

“There is signs of improvement and I do believe we create more than when I first arrived, there are some positives but negatives as well and we all have to look at ourselves and I am included in that where we haven’t been good enough, especially in the run-in. We have let a lot of people down, we can only apologise for that, it hasn’t been through a lack of effort.”

3. (Re Hurtado)
"He does keep in contact with one of our sports scientists. It was good to see him and his big smile, he does light the place up when he’s here.

“He has become a bit of a hero already around the place after three sub appearances and one of those was very impressive when he came off the bench that night (against Swindon).

“We will keep in touch over the summer with him and see what he looks like."

4. (Re Mahoney)
"Conor is a quality player and he has got assists and he has got goals so they are the kind of people that you need in your football team.

“I believe if he played with more players that had that, he would actually assist and score more himself, because I think a lot of teams do set out to stop him and to stop maybe one or two different areas and then they know they stop Gillingham, and that’s been a problem for us."

I was more interested in the following part:
January didn’t turn out for me exactly as I thought it would, but we have to make sure we have a better window in the summer." **
AND
Clemence admitted they missed out on other players but said: “I won’t be the only one, there will be other managers who didn’t get everything they wanted either, but what I have got is a very supportive chairman who I do believe wants to back me and said only 10 days ago that I will be here next season. I think he will back me in the summer to get the players that we need at this football club.”

**Judging by how late last summer we signed Nadesan (clearly a squad player) and Bonne (both him and the club running out of options), I suspect that didn't turn out as the management thought it would, either.

So, it hasn't worked twice. We have to rely on third time lucky, don't we?

Otherwise, SC will be making do and mending until the axe falls in mid Autumn. Rinse and repeat.

Firstly he's trying to keep his job by saying he needs more time. He might be right. Brads comments of "change required" may or may not have been referring to him.

Bottom line is Harris was sacked as Brad wanted exciting football with goals and wins - Clemence hasn't delivered that. Just remains to be seen how patient Brad is.

Positive news on Hurtado, he's unlikely to be in Watfords first team next season so likely to go on loan again........maybe just maybe.

Mahoney should have delivered so much more this season but as Clem points out when you are surrounded by the least attack minded players in the league then it must be hard. I wouldn't want him to be the marquee signing but if wages are low enough he'd be a good addtion.

What we do need is a quick decision om Clem straight after the final game. Back him or sack him but don't delay on the new guy. That person needs a full pre-season.

I think he's spot on and I've been saying the same thing all season re a coach/ manager needs time to build a squad.
I also think the managerial change knocked the players for six and they've not really recovered.
I would like to think,( just like every fan of every club in the land) that a couple of new faces and we could be pushing for a promotion place next season.

I’m not sure why but for some reason those comments have bothered me. Clem thinks we need more Mahoney type players? Goodness.

Does he know this is league two?

I think he simply means that we need more players that score and/or assist on a regular basis.

I think he simply means that we need more players that score and/or assist on a regular basis.
If this chart is right, he has created almost double the number of chances of any other player:

Mind you, it seems a bit weird that Cheye is on that list and Hutton isn't.

What we do need is a quick decision om Clem straight after the final game.
That decision was made and very publicly stated several weeks ago and there's nothing to suggest that there has been, or will be, any change in this position (no matter how much some people may want there to be)

Firstly he's trying to keep his job by saying he needs more time. He might be right. Brads comments of "change required" may or may not have been referring to him.

Bottom line is Harris was sacked as Brad wanted exciting football with goals and wins - Clemence hasn't delivered that. Just remains to be seen how patient Brad is.

Positive news on Hurtado, he's unlikely to be in Watfords first team next season so likely to go on loan again........maybe just maybe.

Mahoney should have delivered so much more this season but as Clem points out when you are surrounded by the least attack minded players in the league then it must be hard. I wouldn't want him to be the marquee signing but if wages are low enough he'd be a good addtion.

What we do need is a quick decision om Clem straight after the final game. Back him or sack but don't delay on the new guy. That person needs a full pre-season.

I'm sure SC does want to keep his job and he says elsewhere in the KM article:

"...but what I have got is a very supportive chairman who I do believe wants to back me and said only 10 days ago that I will be here next season. I think he will back me in the summer to get the players that we need at this football club.”

You say SC hasn't delivered on providing exciting and winning football, and you're right about that. I'd add the words "consistently" and "yet" though. We have had some (not enough, sure) excitement and wins since he took over.

What do you make of the bit where he says?
:
"...unfortunately we haven’t scored on a regular basis enough, there has been occasion we have done it, we scored three goals on three occasions and come from behind on two or three occasions, which hadn’t been done at the club for a while."

I'm sure SC does want to keep his job and he says elsewhere in the KM

What do you make of the bit where he says?
:
"...unfortunately we haven’t scored on a regular basis enough, there has been occasion we have done it, we scored three goals on three occasions and come from behind on two or three occasions, which hadn’t been done at the club for a while."

I think he's understandably pleading for more time.

What he deserves is a swift decision either way.

We need a manager who knows how to get out of league 2 - not sure he does.

League 2 is pace power and strength not tippy tappy sideways and backwards.

Again I don't completely disagree with you.

But I take it from those comments that you weren't one of those calling for Harris to be sacked?

I thought Harris should have been given the full season. And now I think SC should be given more time. If he fails then this time next year should be when we're looking for another change of manager, not before (unless we're seriously failing and are right down the bottom come Christmas time).

I was surprised to see Harris sacked but not disappointed. His football was dull to watch.

I liked what Brad said about wanting exciting football, goals and wins. Clemence has only marginally improved on that

4 assists in 38 games isn’t great for a purely attacking midfielder. 6 goals is ok though I guess

That decision was made and very publicly stated several weeks ago and there's nothing to suggest that there has been, or will be, any change in this position (no matter how much some people may want there to be)
Depends how you interpret this

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240407_171607_X.jpg
    Screenshot_20240407_171607_X.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 25

If you read the article you will see near the end he basically says we are lacking power, strength and pace in certain areas.

For me he appears to understand exactly what the problem are. Will we get player recruitment right this summer? If he does then it could be a very exciting season, if not he will be gone by November.

I was surprised to see Harris sacked but not disappointed. His football was dull to watch.

I liked what Brad said about wanting exciting football, goals and wins. Clemence has only marginally improved on that

So you want pace, power, strength plus excitement too? You don't want much, do you?!

I'd be up for whatever it takes to get us out of the basement, or exciting and attractive football.

Like you, I'm inclined to think we need pace, power and physicality to succeed in this division. But if SC can get us promoted playing football the 'right way' (imo, this means the passing game, predominantly on the deck rather than in the air) it'd make me very happy. I'm not convinced he (or many) can achieve this, but I'm more than happy for him to be given a full pre-season and season to try.

There are no guarantees and this applies to either SC or some new manager. It seems to me that a lot of our fans lack patience, which is a strange thing given our history.

Last edited:

Spot on Mark

So you want pace, power, strength plus excitement too? You don't want much, do you?!

I'd be up for whatever it takes to get us out of the basement, or exciting and attractive football.

Like you, I'm inclined to think we need pace, power and physicality to succeed in this division. But if SC can get us promoted playing football the 'right way' (imo, this means the passing game, predominantly on the deck rather than in the air) it'd make me very happy. I'm not convinced he (or many) can achieve this, but I'm more than happy for him to be given a full pre-season and season to attempt try.

There are no guarantees and this applies to either SC or some new manager. It seems to me that a lot of our fans lack patience, which is a strange thing given our history.
Cheers Buddha! Your last 3 posts have saved me a boat load of posting.