Clemence gone? | Page 3 | Vital Football

Clemence gone?

Whatever new man comes in, if they don’t hit the ground running in august, the knives will be out in September from some.

Doesn't help when the owner and CEO (or whatever Joe Comper is now) come out saying they're impatient for success.

Getting a good football team together isn't fecking easy, if it was every fucker would be doing it. Think some at the club need to give their heads a wobble if they genuinely want "sustainable football".

Well fuck me sideways, that was absolutely the last thing I expected to hear. I honestly thought we were gearing up to a Clemence transfer market this summer and was actually looking forward to seeing what HIS choices were going to be.

I can understand the timing - this gives a new manager time to present his own ideas regarding how and with whom we will be playing but have to say it is a bloody shock to the system. Seems Brad is pretty ruthless and it will be interesting to see who take SCs' place.

I also hope Brad is willing to keep the cheque book bloody handy because this is either going to cost us a lot of money or Priestfield is going to end up on the market as Premium Building Ground.

It's a bit of a shambles as Clemence said after Saturdays game he'd had conversations with players about who was staying and going. Where does that leave those players now? In limbo until new man is appointed presumably.

It's a bit of a shambles as Clemence said after Saturdays game he'd had conversations with players about who was staying and going. Where does that leave those players now? In limbo until new man is appointed presumably.
Yes I made the same point on the previous page.
Will the retained list stand as clemence had it or will it be torn up and the new manager looks at the squad himself first?
Clemence was also talking about the budget on Saturday regarding expensive strikers being needed, and that he’d be going to the owners- perhaps the Galinson’s didn’t like that !

makes me wonder if Brad and Shannon are following the facebook group too much, as that was only place where people wanted Clemence to go

TBF, I’m not sure they take that particular forum seriously at all. Fred carps on about the Galinsons not responding to him at all nowadays after they initially did engage with him on social media in the early days.

They do engage a lot on Twitter and I think the other forums a little, but there’s not been a big outcry about Clemence apart from the usual grumbles about boring games, no goals and not enough wins.

So I think they have based their decision purely on the results and entertainment side of things. I would not be at all surprised if there was another one or 2 management changes in the offing. I reckon they would realise our current woes on the pitch are not simply down to the manager. 3 of them haven’t got a tune out of the recruited players. And if we do get an experienced manager in, they might not see the need for KJ sitting there above him.

Bit of a shocker. IF we appoint someone quickly, it becomes more understandable.

I'm not sure about that. I don't think it was the right decision, but if it's the decision the board have decided to make, I think they've done the right thing in announcing it now. No point letting Clemence have another month while they line up his replacement, might as well sack him now.

They screwed up in sacking Harris during the season with no replacement lined up, as we ended up just drifting aimlessly until Clemence was appointed. As things stand now, there are 3 months until next season starts, and 2 months until players' contracts come to an end. Plenty of time to appoint a new manager and for them to have a full pre-season with the team, plus have input into new signings (presumably Hess and Jackett are going to be coming up with a list of targets anyway, that's not something that's exclusively the decision of the new manager).

Maybe the club had read the board and my thread from a few weeks ago about how very few mid-season managerial changes pay off for promotion in League Two. Club either had to fully back Clem and give him the full season or cut their losses now. If Brad already had doubts over him taking us forwards then saying goodbye now was perhaps best.

Little link to remind people of my thread.

I am concerned that Brad has said one thing & done another. Is it possible that words were exchanged which brought a dramatic end to S.C.'s career at Gills?
I think Brad's vote of confidence was aimed at creating a positive feeling for the last 6 games. A few days later they threw in the towel at Harrogate, I suspect he felt let down by that.

I'm not sure about that. I don't think it was the right decision, but if it's the decision the board have decided to make, I think they've done the right thing in announcing it now. No point letting Clemence have another month while they line up his replacement, might as well sack him now.

They screwed up in sacking Harris during the season with no replacement lined up, as we ended up just drifting aimlessly until Clemence was appointed. As things stand now, there are 3 months until next season starts, and 2 months until players' contracts come to an end. Plenty of time to appoint a new manager and for them to have a full pre-season with the team, plus have input into new signings (presumably Hess and Jackett are going to be coming up with a list of targets anyway, that's not something that's exclusively the decision of the new manager).
I`m not sure it was the right decision either. However, transfer business will be underway already and leaving the head coach/manager out of the loop could be an error. An obvious lack of succession planning when NH was sacked led to us dragging our heels last time around. Arguably led to even more procrastination and the "capture" of a number of last-minute signings that failed to make sufficient impact.

I’m probably in the tiny minority who are not shocked at this decision.
It’s a result based business and he failed his minimum target.
I feel for both of them but hardly surprised.

I’m a little bit torn.

I don’t want us to become one of those clubs who regularly fires their manager. Stability is important to attract players and build a cohesive squad.

But performances only marginally improved on the pitch and he missed out on the MINIMUM ask for this season. There has to be consequences for underperforming the budget.

I don’t buy in to this narrative that he didn’t have enough time to build a squad. The recruitment team build the squad. The role of the coach is to get the most out of the current crop of players. As I mentioned on the other thread, we have 3 midfielders (Lapslie, Dieng, Williams) who would have contributed 20+ additional goals has they continued the same scoring form for Gillingham as they did at their previous clubs. Why hasn’t the coach been able to get them to perform for him?

I would expect it is the role of the DoF and recruitment team to assemble a balanced squad. The role of the coach is to coach.

I’m probably in the tiny minority who are not shocked at this decision.
It’s a result based business and he failed his minimum target.
I feel for both of them but hardly surprised.
What? Despite Brad's very public backing of Clemence.
I'm shocked you are not shocked.

I would expect it is the role of the DoF and recruitment team to assemble a balanced squad. The role of the coach is to coach.
SC has repeatedly said in recent weeks hes been working with others behind the scenes on targets for this summer.

How can you coach goalscoring? How can you coach pace? How can you coach decision making?

We haven't assembled a balanced squad, that's half the problem, we've put together a squad without goalscorers, pace or any bollocks, steel or leadership. That's not down to NH or SC.