Clemence gone? | Page 2 | Vital Football

Clemence gone?

Clemence inherited a Harris squad who couldn’t score in a brothel, couldn’t set up anything, and hadn’t performed for now three bosses.

He has barely had a transfer window and wouldn’t have had enough time with the squad to make any worthwhile additions in the window.

He has zero head coach experience and not enough time to change the squad, so surely we should’ve had enough patience to give him a Summer.

I’d have hoped he’d have been working with recruitment on identifying the types of players needed to get us going. Now we’ve said his approach wasn’t right for the club are we now once again going to give Jackett free rein to sign the shit he believes would do a job for us? When he’s not interviewing for a replacement manager?

Is Jackett (hopefully) gone too, which then leaves us even worse prepared for next season?

We bring in a new manager, he has a slow start as he needs to find his feet with the squad, given he would have no interaction with the squad before a window to say what changes would be needed?

Then what, we sack him in December?!

So much for just a tinkering being needed, Brad.

Surprising news, I would have liked one full season with him in charge.

You just know the next place he goes to will storm the league.

Last edited:
This seems harsh in my opinion.

If its the director of football who sources players, signs players and decides the general playing style why is Jackett still in a job??

2 years of poor play, limited entertainment and a dearth of goals.

Can't see too many quality managers stepping forward to grab what may be a poisoned chalice.

I had hopes that with a healthy budget for League 2, a good transfer window and a pre-season SC might have produced a team that could challenge for promotion.

Wish him well in what ever he does next.

Hopefully the club will get someone in sooner rather than later.

Suprising news, I would have liked one full season with him in charge.

You just know the next place he goes to will storm the league.

I feel for Stephen right now. I reckon it will be hard to pick up another job quickly having “failed” in his first attempt. Even tho he had no tools to succeed, it’s already written on his public resume isn’t it?

I really didn't see this coming. Yes, the season's been underwhelming, but Clemence has had no time to create a team. And he's very unlucky when you look at our awful record on converting chances into goals, which is the players' fault. So on balance, I don't support the decision because I think we need stability. And if there's no one lined up, we'll waste several weeks again. So what's behind it:

- Clemence's list of targets didn't impress Jackett or was deemed unrealistic?
- The owners regretted not sacking Harris last summer and didn't want to make the same mistake again?
- Clemence wasn't being ambitious enough? (not wanting a bigger clearout)
- Clemence's style not deemed right for League 2? This one has merit.
- Someone already lined up? Let's hope so!
- ST sales disappointing? Wouldn't be surprised...

I just keep thinking about Arsenal. Last summer people were calling for Arteta's head, now look at them. At some point we have to give a manager time to build success.

A massive shock but at least the timing is good. Just as long as they don't take too long finding a replacement. The new man must be in place before the players come back from their summer break - especially if he's going to be allowed any say in potential new signings..

I really didn't see this coming. Yes, the season's been underwhelming, but Clemence has had no time to create a team. And he's very unlucky when you look at our awful record on converting chances into goals, which is the players' fault. So on balance, I don't support the decision because I think we need stability. And if there's no one lined up, we'll waste several weeks again. So what's behind it:

- Clemence's list of targets didn't impress Jackett or was deemed unrealistic?
- The owners regretted not sacking Harris last summer and didn't want to make the same mistake again?
- Clemence wasn't being ambitious enough? (not wanting a bigger clearout)
- Clemence's style not deemed right for League 2? This one has merit.
- Someone already lined up? Let's hope so!
- ST sales disappointing? Wouldn't be surprised...

I just keep thinking about Arsenal. Last summer people were calling for Arteta's head, now look at them. At some point we have to give a manager time to build success.
If I we're to guess, probably your first and last points. You can imagine Clemence going into a meeting this morning, and telling the board he needs 6 new players, and the board have said, no chance, 2 or 3, to which he's said well that's not enough, we will be mid table again. Ok close the door on your way out Steve.

So we're turning into Watford? Really question whoever is making these decisions. The NH sacking was piss poor timing regardless of whether you think it was the right decision or not. To not have a replacement lined up was piss poor. To oppoint SC as a coach and then not give him a summer to recruit and a pre season to implement his idea is cuntish IMO and to anyone who says it isn't, what's to say that whoever is involved in appointing the next manager/coach won't get it wrong again and in December we're looking for our third manager in a year.

Rapidly losing faith in the football decisions being made at the club. SC whether you thought he was good, bad or indifferent was not given enough time to prove whether he was good enough, unless we're now going to judge every manager after 6 months and sack him if he's deemed not good enough.

Also our recruitment has been far more culpable of our failings over the last two transfers windows than either of the two people we've got rid of.

Last edited:
We need an experienced coach proven at at least L1 level

Maybe, but you just know that even if we get a manager who's spent his entire career managing at Championship level, some people will moan that he's got no idea what it takes to get out of L2.

makes me wonder if Brad and Shannon are following the facebook group too much, as that was only place where people wanted Clemence to go

If I we're to guess, probably your first and last points. You can imagine Clemence going into a meeting this morning, and telling the board he needs 6 new players, and the board have said, no chance, 2 or 3, to which he's said well that's not enough, we will be mid table again. Ok close the door on your way out Steve.

“IF” this decision was based simply on a meeting today about player requirements or similar, then we are screwed. I can’t possibly believe that’s the case.

My reckoning is when Brad gave Clemence his public backing about 1 month ago(?), he expected with the public pressure off Clem that we’d improve and maybe give the play-offs a real go and maybe play some better football.

But we basically fell off a cliff only winning 1 of our last 6. I think Brads mind was made up during this last month.

I’m surprised after Brad publicly backed Clemence only a couple of weeks ago.
I watched Clemence’s ifollow post match interview last night and he mentioned he’d be at the club this morning with things to do. It was all about planning for next season, he kept on about wanting more of “his” players at the club.
He even stated he lives in Gillingham now and his family had been to visit him several times over the season as he’d barely been back to his family home in Cheshire since he’d come here.

Some of the things he said highlighted his inexperience though, the difficult conversations you have to have with players who aren’t in your plans that he said he’d get better at, if there was any announcement I thought we could get today it was the retained list, as the players already know if they are being kept on or not (does that change now with a new man coming in?) .

I think they looked at the crucial time and points lost in appointing him mid season, and didn’t want to go down that road again potentially next season if we had a disappointing start to the campaign .

I’m probably in the tiny minority who are not shocked at this decision.
It’s a result based business and he failed his minimum target.
I feel for both of them but hardly surprised.
I agree. I think it the correct decision BUT I hope the club have really thought about the next step. I'd like us appoint an experienced manager and do away with the DoF and recruiment position...what's Colin up to😁?