CJ + Virtue Seasons Are Over | Page 2 | Vital Football

CJ + Virtue Seasons Are Over

Husband is another one who i'm doubtful we'll actually be able to fit into 20. If Garbutt stays, then can you afford 2 "older" LBs? Or you have to consider Husband as true CB which i'd be a bit worried about.

Ward has improved as the season has gone on imo, I think people like Anderson and Robson are more at risk.

Ship Out
Howe
Thorniley
Sarkic
Anderson (harsh, but he didn't do enough)

At Risk
Lubala (somethings obviously gone on, if you're not gonna play him then stick him out on loan or flog him)
Husband (as above, he's good enough but I think only 1 of him and Garbutt will stay - and i'd rather Garbutt)
Robson (Also think he's fine for league 1, but he's the sort of player we should be looking to replace with an u-21).
Kaikai (Big money, inconsistent, wouldn't be adverse to him staying)

Whether we go up or stay in league 1, re-signing the likes of Madine, Garbutt and Stewart should be a priority.
Madine,Stewart need to prove long term fitness .

Good posts. Are we thinking Garbutt for his delivery? His defending isn't a very strong point and Dougal spends a lot of effort shoring up that side yes I know it's always a gamble whether 2k gets back.

I thought Robson was going to be decent but he really is average for the league thus far. I was calling for Lubala to go on loan months ago well off the pace and lacking in confidence but could still come good. Do we really think Mitchel is worth keeping next season?

2k what a disappointment he can look our best footballer but has not deserved his place more than not. Expensive luxury it would seem.

I don't think we have the squad to go up with all the injuries and I think we will cash in on Yates who has been great even when not scoring. We could pick up a lot of decent players with that money next season as money will be tight.

NHS website:

Recovering from anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) knee surgery can take up to a year.

When I was at school playing football a teacher tackled me, dislocated my kneecap and did the ACL around my knee. Once they had levered my knee back into place they put the leg from ankle to groin in a heavy plaster cast. I had that on for 6 weeks and when they took it off my muscles had virtually wasted away. I then had to go to Blackpool Vic 2 mornings a week for quite painful physiotherapy to build up the knee and leg muscles. I had to do that for 7 months. Over the next 5 years I dislocated the knee twice more, after which I was advised never to play contact sports again or sports that involved twisting or putting pressure on the knee (including squash and tennis). Even now the knee joint aches when it is damp weather and I sometimes walk with a limp. Virtue has my sympathy.
The teacher who did the tackle was subsequently called 'hatchet man' and had trials with Man City in his youth. I suppose in modern times I could have sued him!

Think it took Grant Ward about three months to get back in the gym and seven months to step up to training from his left ACL injury. Signed a contract here after twelve. Ipswich released him but let him complete his rehab there.

Think it took Grant Ward about three months to get back in the gym and seven months to step up to training from his left ACL injury. Signed a contract here after twelve. Ipswich released him but let him complete his rehab there.

Yeah, 6 months minimum post-surgery to get back into contact is my understanding (from having had the surgery).

When I was at school playing football a teacher tackled me, dislocated my kneecap and did the ACL around my knee. Once they had levered my knee back into place they put the leg from ankle to groin in a heavy plaster cast. I had that on for 6 weeks and when they took it off my muscles had virtually wasted away. I then had to go to Blackpool Vic 2 mornings a week for quite painful physiotherapy to build up the knee and leg muscles. I had to do that for 7 months. Over the next 5 years I dislocated the knee twice more, after which I was advised never to play contact sports again or sports that involved twisting or putting pressure on the knee (including squash and tennis). Even now the knee joint aches when it is damp weather and I sometimes walk with a limp. Virtue has my sympathy.
The teacher who did the tackle was subsequently called 'hatchet man' and had trials with Man City in his youth. I suppose in modern times I could have sued him!

Jeez Pete - where me + Bob H went to school they would just throw the blackboard rubber at you 🤪

Yeah, 6 months minimum post-surgery to get back into contact is my understanding (from having had the surgery).

Wouldn't name Virtue in the squad then up to January and look at it after that. They're bound to get excited this summer and sign someone for the deal who turns out to be a dud and they want rid of by then, which always happens. So he should get his place back at that point if it goes well for him.

If they can keep fit and motivated no reason why we cannot get to Wembley but hoping we can squeeze an automatic place....Come on Pool

All this makes me question if this squad on the whole are really up to the task ?

They're not doing too badly to be fair to them, the amount of games we've had to catch up on would have stretched any of the squads in the division, but it's not as if the wheels are falling off. In the playoffs!

If they can keep fit and motivated no reason why we cannot get to Wembley but hoping we can squeeze an automatic place....Come on Pool
I must admit, when we were 2-1 up I was looking at the league and actually started considering automatic as a realistic option for the first time. Would likely have to win 2 games against Sunderland and Lincoln, but who knows!

I must admit, when we were 2-1 up I was looking at the league and actually started considering automatic as a realistic option for the first time. Would likely have to win 2 games against Sunderland and Lincoln, but who knows!
Who indeed....

Not playing on Tuesday has to be a bonus. They have been full on for weeks. Having Ballard back takes a lot off the strain and he, Viking, Turton and Garbutt sounds much healthier and Spud back in training.

I'll throw another one in here, is Madine motivated to get back in the team? I doubt he'd been as fit for years and will take time to get back up to speed.

Still think promotion will be next year but teams will be ready for us and we will need to break them down.

UTVMP!

Last edited:
My understanding with Madine is that it's a historic injury that has flared up and is being managed with kid gloves as they don't want to rush him back and then be crocked for the rest of the season.

What I'd also say is don't always believe NC's injury updates - he has been known to throw red herrings in there for the opposition. Good example is when we put Ballard up for the pre-match interviews when we knew he was out of the next game. I'd expect us to be even more guarded over the next few weeks in an attempt to gain any sort of advantage!

My understanding with Madine is that it's a historic injury that has flared up and is being managed with kid gloves as they don't want to rush him back and then be crocked for the rest of the season.

What I'd also say is don't always believe NC's injury updates - he has been known to throw red herrings in there for the opposition. Good example is when we put Ballard up for the pre-match interviews when we knew he was out of the next game. I'd expect us to be even more guarded over the next few weeks in an attempt to gain any sort of advantage!

I may be reading too much into this, but i'm expecting CJ, Virtue, Stewart and Madine to all start against Swindon?