City v B.Munich | Vital Football

City v B.Munich

Just shows you can have unlimited funds but it doesn't guarantee success the Arabs have pumped in over £500m yet they are still gash against the big clubs.

It's for reasons like Citeh that I don't and never have wanted Newcastle to go out and blow 200m in one window. I just expect to compete and build a well gelled squad!

The points about spending huge amounts of money are well made. Me neither. Neville commented on the different in cost of the 2 teams, can't remember the amounts but it was quite significant, City spending the most obviously.

I happened to be reading a book called Soccernomics the other night, and got to a chapter on Johan Cruyjff. He started this Barcelona passing thing and was responsible for giving Guardiola his debut for Barca, pulling him out of a youth team. Strangely enough, Cruyff was not interested in results at youth level, merely the adoption of the passing game, to enable players like Guardiola to simply slot into the first team. Are we following that ideal too?

Some pedigree that though eh? The great Ajax side, then Barca transformed from top to bottom.

I cannot recommend Soccernomics highly enough, it is a fascinating book if you can get your hands on it.

If results are anything to go by then the youth and reserves will slot right into the shit he's producing at 1st team level

You do not have to spend a fortune. Its identifying the weak spots in your squad and bringing in players who are betteer than what you have. Our weak spot is defence and have we done anything about it, No.
There are not better players out there than Santon, Debuchy, Taylor, Williamson who will not cost a fortune.
One you get them of course you need to keep them.
The other point is are there better coaches and a better Manager out there than what we have. The answer is a resounding YES.
Is there anyone better than what we have that would toe the Ashley line, Probably.
I just do not see any plus points with Pardew. People say he is hamstrung by Ashley and Kinnear but the point is he has brought in enough players, some of quality and still cannot produce a consistant quality orgainised side. Thats not Ashley or Kinnears fault its Pardew and his coaches.
Would you give Pardew more money to spend considering what he has done with the numerous players that have come in, No

You make a lot of good points there, and as you say most of us wouldn't give pardew more money to spend as he's turned what he's been given to shite. But it's worth remembering, that most of us would NEVER have hired him in the first place.