Chris Maguire Signs | Vital Football

Chris Maguire Signs

Interesting signing, I trust MA knows the player well having worked with him several times before. I know the Sunderland fans had mixed views about him, some really positive views, others questioning his fitness and attitude. However I really doubt MA would let anyone join that doesn’t have the right minerals for us.

With regard to people also questioning the age of Maguire, I think we need a few more older heads to add to the squad for experience.

Last edited:
Interesting signing, I trust MA knows the player well having worked with him several times before. I know the Sunderland fans had mixed views about him, some really positive views, others questioning his fitness and attitude. However I really doubt MA would let anyone join that doesn’t have the right minerals for us. With regard to people also questioning the age of Maguire, I think we need a few more older heads to add to the squad for experience.
Having worked with him before, I'm sure that he passes MA's dickhead test.

Bit more of an older head but I'm fine with that. We seem to be making a collection of players from Scotland again. His best times seem to have been under MA so any concerns over 'minerals' really are not there

Do we envisage a change in system this season? If not where do people see Maguire fitting in?

He plays either from wide, which in Appleton’s team pace is normally a requisite attribute, or as a number 10 which doesn’t really exist in our system.

Not sold on Maguire being a great signing tbh. A lot of the Sunderland squad I saw as experienced well paid under performers.

Look forward to being proved wrong again.

Not sold on Maguire being a great signing tbh. A lot of the Sunderland squad I saw as experienced well paid under performers.

Look forward to being proved wrong again.
I think he has great ability and Appleton is as likely as anyone to have him showing it regularly. I’m just not sure I understand where he fits except from the bench.

I think he has great ability and Appleton is as likely as anyone to have him showing it regularly. I’m just not sure I understand where he fits except from the bench.

Not sure how "has great ability" and only a bench player fit together.

I must admit I do like the opposition having all their players of great ability on the bench. Would even be worth making a long bench, if they needed it.

Not sure how "has great ability" and only a bench player fit together.

Because football is a team game and often the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Regardless of his ability if he doesn’t fit our system or way of playing then it means nothing. Since we’re talking about Sunderland I personally think that’s a big part of their problem, McGeady is their most talented player, perhaps the most talented in the league, but it always looks to me like his involvement is to the detriment of their team.

Because football is a team game and often the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Regardless of his ability if he doesn’t fit our system or way of playing then it means nothing. Since we’re talking about Sunderland I personally think that’s a big part of their problem, McGeady is their most talented player, perhaps the most talented in the league, but it always looks to me like his involvement is to the detriment of their team.

I get the sum of the whole argument...
but a manager's job is to create a "style" which gets the best out of your best players.

A lazy Jorge Grant of 18 months ago would fit your argument perfectly, but MA's job is to get the most out of our players. Good players of great ability, in the right framework, created by the manager is the way forward.

I doubt we are looking for additions aged 32 to fill the bench. If they are bench fillers better for them to be 22 looking to the future.

Do we envisage a change in system this season? If not where do people see Maguire fitting in?

He plays either from wide, which in Appleton’s team pace is normally a requisite attribute, or as a number 10 which doesn’t really exist in our system.

If we are going to play a more "formal 4-2-3-1" (as opposed to our 4-3-3 of last season) then you need someone behind the striker. That would have undoubtedly been Grant before he left? Fiorini describes himself as a #10 so I guess we have 2 players who feel they can play there. That leaves us with 4 central midfielder who can fill in for holding 2? Bridcutt, McGrandles, Sanders and Jones.