Chey Dunkley | Page 2 | Vital Football

Chey Dunkley

Mixed feelings about Chey Dunkley as a Championship player.
- Roberto / Sharpe pre season scouted player
- Head made of granite and scored some truly valuable goals in the Championship
- Defined the word 'hoof' for the last couple of seasons
- Some truly awful, all at sea defending (at times) when paired with Cedric
- Was he at fault for more goals than he scored ?
- Poor passer of the ball
- Very good at getting his body in the way of shots
- Upper echelon League 1 player
- Personally, I felt he never improved that much across 2 Championship seasons.
- Wigan improved defensively with him off the pitch.
- 2019/2020 season - 26 League matches played, 37 goals conceded when he played & 26 team goals scored
I think I have made my feelings known about Dunks on quite a few occasions. Clearly Sheffield Wednesday were taken in by his movement in the box or whatever bollocks they came out with at the start of the year. Our form from the turn of the year when he was not in our defence tells you all you need to know

Dunks had all the physical tools to be a top defender but unfortunately suffered from regular lapses in concentration. He could be a colossus but also had a costly mistake in him.

I always felt if a top defensive manager like Bruce got hold of him they could maybe iron out the flaws that held him back and see him push on. A bit like Bramble. I think he was by far at his best when Mulgrew was in the side and leading him - as he's very much the Vidic type 'destroyer' and greatly benefits from having a Ferdinand type next to him doing the organising. When Dunks was leading the back line with Kipre it just didn't really work and Cedric only flourished when he needed to step up and lead in Dunkley still absence.

Dunks was outstanding in L1 when it was all about winning the physical battles but in the Championship where he was more often up against clever players trying to avoid the battle and use their movement he got caught out more than you'd like.

Dunks certainly never let us down for commitment and I'm grateful for his contribution over his 3 years. I wish him well and it will be interesting to see if he does evolve under a different manager.
Not doubting his commitment but in the Championship where the forwards are half a yard quicker in body and mind he panicked and was found out. League 1 is his level in my opinion. I wish him well though

Always thought he was similar to leon Barnett decent in the oppositions box but lack of concentration affected his defensive ability. Physically as good as any, monster aerially, good at blocking and fast but always switching off and positionally not good enough. Top guy though who did his best at all times.

I think I have made my feelings known about Dunks on quite a few occasions. Clearly Sheffield Wednesday were taken in by his movement in the box or whatever bollocks they came out with at the start of the year. Our form from the turn of the year when he was not in our defence tells you all you need to know

I would love to see him start every game for Sheffield Wednesday and score goals.
He has worked his way through the leagues and has obviously worked hard to get to where he is now.
Perhaps different coaches and players will elevate his consistency.
Hopefully the hoofing will go too.

I would love to see him start every game for Sheffield Wednesday and score goals.
He has worked his way through the leagues and has obviously worked hard to get to where he is now.
Perhaps different coaches and players will elevate his consistency.
Hopefully the hoofing will go too.
Hes similar to Kipre, sort out the mental deficiency in his game you have a colossus