Chesterfield victory | Vital Football

Chesterfield victory

Hillman Imp

Vital Squad Member
Lester seems to be shoring up the foundations, looks like they will be a bit more resolute on Saturday than their record suggests.

http://www.derbyshiretimes.co.uk/sport/football/chesterfield-fc/column-it-won-t-be-pretty-but-no-one-in-blue-will-mind-if-lester-turns-town-into-dogged-winners-1-8786601

Hardly. Chesterfield fielded their first team, Rotherham didn't even play their reserves - two of the side came from their academy team. It was a terrible game by all accounts, watched by the lowest ever attendance at the ground.

Reading the RUFC website, the hosts put out a vastly under-strength side, most of whom performed poorly, and Chesterfield won with a very late smash and grab. I'm sure they will come here for a point, packing their defence and midfield. Just a case of whether we can break them down. Our scoring record so far could mean another frustrating afternoon.

takeyourblueshirtoff - 4/10/2017 13:05

Reading the RUFC website, the hosts put out a vastly under-strength side, most of whom performed poorly, and Chesterfield won with a very late smash and grab. I'm sure they will come here for a point, packing their defence and midfield. Just a case of whether we can break them down. Our scoring record so far could mean another frustrating afternoon.

That seems a good summation. Times like these are when an early goal is called for.

blueshirt you have called it how it will be on saturday and with a full house and a packed midfield for the opposition it calls for our akinfenwa option,step forward super matt rhead.

devonexlondonimp - 4/10/2017 18:09

blueshirt you have called it how it will be on saturday and with a full house and a packed midfield for the opposition it calls for our akinfenwa option,step forward super matt rhead.

Yep, I'd settle for that. Try him with Palmer?

It's likely to be the type of game when we could do with some good set pieces, specially corners. Step forward Sam.

... quite right, Chesterfield will be more than happy with a point against us and so the packed midfield and defence by them with a poss of a breakaway goal against the run of play no doubt. So maybe we ought to be more direct this time around - maybe. For us of course an early goal would be ideal providing we get a 2nd not long after - that way it just might open the flood gates. Imps 4ever :cheers:

Agree...The longer we go without a goal the more settled their defence will become and the more likely that they will hold out or even nick it with a breakaway/ error, so direct pressure early on and hopefully a goal in the first 20 would settle us down i think.

simes69 - 5/10/2017 09:48

Agree...The longer we go without a goal the more settled their defence will become and the more likely that they will hold out or even nick it with a breakaway/ error, so direct pressure early on and hopefully a goal in the first 20 would settle us down i think.

To be honest I would settle for a goal in the first 40 or 50 or even the full minute !!