Chesterfield resigned to their fate? | Vital Football

Chesterfield resigned to their fate?

Casperimp

Vital 1st Team Regular
Looks as though they are preparing for life in non league.

Interesting interview with one of the directors and very open. Interesting that he says the playing wage bill is £2.3 million. We paid similar out last year but that is all staff costs and will obviously include promotion and cup bonuses etc. Says they are targeting promotion back but then they all say that and find the reality somewhat different. History says it may be a few seasons until they can fight their way back.

https://www.chesterfield-fc.co.uk/news/2018/april/20180418-ashley-carson-interview-part-one/

I'm no expert but isn't the parachute payment more favourable now? They'll possibly face a slightly smaller challenge than we did if so but yep bouncing straight back is far from the norm.

Chesterfield will struggle in the NL - next season's Hartlepool, the battle will be to stay out of administration and the relegation places.

Looks as though they are preparing for life in non league.

Interesting interview with one of the directors and very open. Interesting that he says the playing wage bill is £2.3 million. We paid similar out last year but that is all staff costs and will obviously include promotion and cup bonuses etc. Says they are targeting promotion back but then they all say that and find the reality somewhat different. History says it may be a few seasons until they can fight their way back.

https://www.chesterfield-fc.co.uk/news/2018/april/20180418-ashley-carson-interview-part-one/
Can you watch that interview without paying an additional subscription? I find I can watch the extended highlights of other clubs matches by subscribing for a free pass but the one you have linked to seems to need a monthly pass at a cost of £4.49.

They had a really good chance of staying up but they fluffed it against 10 man Port Vale, didn't turn up for the Grimsby game by all accounts, nor the Morecambe one.

Those three games were an ideal run to get some points on the board.

The only team that's come straight back up in recent years from memory is Bristol Rovers, must teams spend around 6 years down there like we did.
Very tough to get out of as we know only to well!

Only two promotion spots doesn't help either.

They have no chance of bouncing straight back. That requires a very solid club with the right degree of investment.

Chesterfield:

** are somewhere between £8m and £12m in debt;
** have added to that debt massively this season with some stupid signings and contracts (the useless Chris O'Grady on £4,500 per week for starters);
** lose the FL solidarity payments and TV money (£1m+);
** have been up for sale for ages with no takers;
** have completely the wrong manager for the National League (although they can change that in the close season if they are smart enough);
** have a very poor set of overpaid players (35 of them!), 16 of whom are still under contract for next season;
** are at loggerheads with their fans;
** are going down with a very low points total.

They have one hell of a shock waiting for them. A third successive relegation battle is on the cards.

The most telling statement is:

"This football club from now on is going to be run as a proper business."

They should have tried doing that ten years ago.

The only team that's come straight back up in recent years from memory is Bristol Rovers, must teams spend around 6 years down there like we did.

Barnet and Cheltenham.

I don't think there will be too many tears shed for the people that have/are running Cheatersfield FC with their history. As always I will have empathy for their supporters.

Two promotion spots are too many. If there were only one FGR would still be a non-league side :grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning:

Could be a while before we see them again. Having just checked Barnets fixtures I fancy them for two more wins, have Grimsby got another result in them?

Having so many players under contract for next season when they have performed so poorly this campaign will be a huge problem for them (most of them have a 20% reduction written into their contracts upon relegation, but that's not all that much of a saving).

The first thing you want to do is offload them and get more committed ones in, but it's either going to cost a shedload of money to terminate their contracts – which will be virtually impossible as they predict they'll lose £1.5m by going down – or they will just have to stick with them and hope they turn things around. A horrible situation. Bizarre scenario given most of them lengthy contracts in the first place.

And I presume Chris O'Grady will still be under contract? At £4,500 per week now, he's still going to be on well over £3,500 a week in the Conference. Obscene.

And I presume Chris O'Grady will still be under contract? At £4,500 per week now, he's still going to be on well over £3,500 a week in the Conference. Obscene.

O'Grady is under contract until June 2019. Carson said one of the players has a relegation release clause - it would be a safe bet that's him.

Quite how he would find another club is a different question. At the age of 32, 3 goals in 40 matches this season won't lead to a queue forming.

Edit: He also managed just 1 goal in 26 games in 2016-17, and 2 in 26 in 2015-16. That makes a total of 6 goals in 3 years, or 1 goal every 15 games. Well worth £4,500 a week.

Last edited:
O'Grady is under contract until June 2019. Carson said one of the players has a relegation release clause - it would be a safe bet that's him.

Quite how he would find another club is a different question. At the age of 32, 3 goals in 40 matches this season won't lead to a queue forming.

Edit: He also managed just 1 goal in 26 games in 2016-17, and 2 in 26 in 2015-16. That makes a total of 6 goals in 3 years, or 1 goal every 15 games. Well worth £4,500 a week.

Nothing to say he will leave though, he might have a relegation clause but I guess it will be his choice if he activates it, but he might just sit tight and take the cash! It would be an extra £182,000 towards his retirement if he is actually on that amount!

Can you watch that interview without paying an additional subscription? I find I can watch the extended highlights of other clubs matches by subscribing for a free pass but the one you have linked to seems to need a monthly pass at a cost of £4.49.