Chelsea v Aston Villa Match Thread, Weds 4th Dec, 7.30pm | Page 25 | Vital Football

Chelsea v Aston Villa Match Thread, Weds 4th Dec, 7.30pm

Or deluded!
Wittonite, l think of you as something of a sage concerning all things Aston Villa. Let's recall where we were just a few months ago. A team on the wane, somehow a club record run of wins with exciting, attacking football. We weren't promoted with the quality of Wolves, remember we finished fifth and needed a penalty shootout to beat the Baggies and a couple of bizzare goals to win the play off final.Dean had no option but to rebuild the squad, largely to our betterment. We have all been surprised at the quality of the premier League. The pace, skill, cheating, ruthlessness. My only criticism of Dean is missing out on a Mitrovic or Maupay. I wish we hadn't gambled on such a key position. With a Peter Withe type of centre forward,l believe we would be in a comfortable position. I'm another who saw Bowen as a must sign. Overall, with our owners,a clued up chief executive and a progressive manager,our beautiful football club is going one way and that is forward.

Wittonite, l think of you as something of a sage concerning all things Aston Villa. Let's recall where we were just a few months ago. A team on the wane, somehow a club record run of wins with exciting, attacking football. We weren't promoted with the quality of Wolves, remember we finished fifth and needed a penalty shootout to beat the Baggies and a couple of bizzare goals to win the play off final.Dean had no option but to rebuild the squad, largely to our betterment. We have all been surprised at the quality of the premier League. The pace, skill, cheating, ruthlessness. My only criticism of Dean is missing out on a Mitrovic or Maupay. I wish we hadn't gambled on such a key position. With a Peter Withe type of centre forward,l believe we would be in a comfortable position. I'm another who saw Bowen as a must sign. Overall, with our owners,a clued up chief executive and a progressive manager,our beautiful football club is going one way and that is forward.
Sorry JP, I think you misunderstand my comment.
I agree with everything you say. My point, put another way is that for people to be expecting us to get points from those games mentioned and then being dissapointed when we dont is understandable if you are an optomist, but given what we have by way of goal scoring power and where we were a very short time ago it is a case of over expectation. I am not a Wesley basher but I can see why those not happy with his performance to date would feel that way. We are a bit like a car firing on three cylinders at the moment but our system doesnt help him.
Overall I am happy with were we are, its where I expected us to be. Yes given the rub of the green and Wesley getting to grips with his role in the team, as you say we would have been futher up the table.
All of what you say above is why I think it is possibly deluded to be expecting we take points from the top sides. Hopeful maybe, but expectant no.
Our real battle lies with those around us and by and large we have done ok against those teams.
Sage, no, but thanks for the compliment. Time served, yes, but there are those on here, including yourself with greater insight than I, and that is what makes this Vital Villa forum such a good one.

Think we all knew this run of 4 matches was going to be very challenging; on paper we'd be lucky to get anything at all from these 4 teams. It's the 3 last matches of the year where we really must pick up a decent points haul.

However, I had a sneaking feeling we could get something from these matches, and indeed we did against MU. Chelsea was only disappointing in that for much of the match we didn't set them problems. Can we get anything against Leicester and Sheffield U? We just might, but we need to play better than last night. If we don't get anything, so be it; we go again.

Think we need 6 points from the 5 remaining matches before the end of the year. That'll leave us out of the relegation zone. More would be nice as it would ease us up the table, a situation we've been in for a lot of this season; even a point against Chelsea would have made a useful difference.

We need to try something different but I don't think Dean will.

What if it went spectacularly wrong with us getting a tonking from their marauding centre backs and we lose 5-0 without a shot on target?

The middle of the season isn't the time to rethink strategy and tactics.

We've lost over half our games any way we need something away from home

We’ve got to remember that 6 of the 8 away matches have been against sides who finished in the top seven last season. That’s a tough ask for us so far. In terms of individuals we need to add a striker in January, Douglas needs to play alongside Marvellous and we need to strengthen the two centre halves. We have 4 good ones and I’m not convinced this is our best pairing. Tyrone looks quality supporting the attack going forward but has not been the strongman we need when defending. A difficult one. Our Hause in the middle of defence?

I don't think it's a question of our center halves not being good enough, it is decision making and composure that really needs working on. Konsa looked like he had lost the plot at one stage last night. I'm sure we will all agree he has the makings of being a good player in the future.

We’ve got to remember that 6 of the 8 away matches have been against sides who finished in the top seven last season. That’s a tough ask for us so far. In terms of individuals we need to add a striker in January, Douglas needs to play alongside Marvellous and we need to strengthen the two centre halves. We have 4 good ones and I’m not convinced this is our best pairing. Tyrone looks quality supporting the attack going forward but has not been the strongman we need when defending. A difficult one. Our Hause in the middle of defence?

Or we could do a MO'N and play all 4 of them, I'm sure Konsa could play right-back and Mings and Hause can and have played left-back.
I'm guessing this sounds negative to some but all 4 are comfortable with the ball all capable of bringing it forward but also far more solid defenders than Freddie or Targett.
we have to stop conceding nearly 2 a game if we are to stay up and kick on

Last edited:
Or we could do a MO'N and play all 4 of them, I'm sure Konsa could play right-back and Mings and Hause can and have played left-back.
I'm guessing this sounds negative to some but all 4 are comfortable with the ball all capable of bringing it forward but also far more solid defenders than Freddie or Targett.
we have to stop conceding nearly 2 a game if we are to stay up and kick on
As soon as I read this post all I could think about was poor old Carlos Cuellar looking like a fish on a bicycle at right back.... Thanks for ruining my morning 57! :censor::arrghh:

We played well in very short spells, other than that we were on the back foot (obviously). Thought that Jack played well when involved and McGinn showed a bit more this game. I expected a draw at best to be fair but the scoreline flattered us. We move on.

. However, I am confused why Kodjia doesn't get any minutes. Last night he seemed to be warming up constantly from the hour mark. Yes, he is a different player; yes, his work rate might not be as high as hoped, but he is a maverick and scores goals out of nothing.

Perhaps I’m reading too much into it, but his warm up energy levels suggested to me he didn’t think he was getting on the pitch.

I don't think it's a question of our center halves not being good enough, it is decision making and composure that really needs working on. Konsa looked like he had lost the plot at one stage last night. I'm sure we will all agree he has the makings of being a good player in the future.
I also think its decision making. They have got to learn that you might look quality when you try a deft turn in a tight situation as the last line of defence but a comlete prat when it goes wrong and it can cost us the game.
Most of the top defenders I recall over the years have had no problem whatsoever smacking it into the stand or making an easy sideways or back pass to the keeper.
And talking about bad decisions what was Wesley doing spending ages helping the Chelsea player to his feet on the running track after fouling him, when we were attacking.
I m all for sportsmanship but not when we are attacking and he is supposed to lead the line.

Would love what doing something different is.

I suspect the 'doing something different' involves dropping Wesley which is a given from most on here. Except that's not going much different other than dropping an out of form player which is not ground breaking

Managers have a their own style and philosophy. Dont think for a minute Deano will change that nor any manager. Except....ermmmm......Lambert and his total football experiment having visited Germany. Yeah, this doing something different works.

If doing something different involves players in different unnatural positions then that's an admission of defeat, desperation and quite frankly Deano should go in that case.
Anyone ?

Last time I looked we were nowhere near desperation stakes.

I suspect the 'doing something different' involves dropping Wesley which is a given from most on here. Except that's not going much different other than dropping an out of form player which is not ground breaking

Managers have a their own style and philosophy. Dont think for a minute Deano will change that nor any manager. Except....ermmmm......Lambert and his total football experiment having visited Germany. Yeah, this doing something different works.

If doing something different involves players in different unnatural positions then that's an admission of defeat, desperation and quite frankly Deano should go in that case.
Anyone ?

Well cheers for reminding me about Lambert's visit to Dortmund. Went on all summer about how we were going to play a high pressing, ultra attacking game only to have us sit 10 men behind the ball and whack it up to benteke. Oh how I hate that man.

Well cheers for reminding me about Lambert's visit to Dortmund. Went on all summer about how we were going to play a high pressing, ultra attacking game only to have us sit 10 men behind the ball and whack it up to benteke. Oh how I hate that man.

Yeah . But at least he did something different !!!

Anyone ?

Last time I looked we were nowhere near desperation stakes.

Is Wesley out of form? What is his form? I don't believe any of us quite know what his best game is. Not sure if anyone on the forum saw his appearance for Brazil, they might be a truer indicator of his real game. It would be interesting to know who really wanted him at Villa Park. He doesn't seem Deano's type of center forward.