Charlton | Page 8 | Vital Football

Charlton

They may go into admin NS, but they will wait until the season is over to avoid the points deduction sending them down, which is what any sensible owner would do.

The disregard our owners showed for our wellbeing is huge. I'm not a violent chap but would quite happily " look the other way " if somebody wrapped a length of 4 x 2 round the skull of that little bastard.

They may go into admin NS, but they will wait until the season is over to avoid the points deduction sending them down, which is what any sensible owner would do.

The season officially ends 4th August. As things stand they do not have funds to pay creditors on 1st August, which is why they are currently under investigation. Unless something dramatic happens, to somehow get funding. They will be forced into admin just in time for 12 points to be deducted before the season ends. Like us, they will be powerless to prevent it.

How can an organisation allow someone to buy a football club for £1 with no proof of funds?

The season officially ends 4th August. As things stand they do not have funds to pay creditors on 1st August, which is why they are currently under investigation. Unless something dramatic happens, to somehow get funding. They will be forced into admin just in time for 12 points to be deducted before the season ends. Like us, they will be powerless to prevent it.

How can an organisation allow someone to buy a football club for £1 with no proof of funds?

If your info is correct then they would indeed have a problem. However it can take a few days after the insolvency event to appoint an administrator/liquidator so they may defer going into admin until the 5th. I believe that is within the regulations.

If your info is correct then they would indeed have a problem. However it can take a few days after the insolvency event to appoint an administrator/liquidator so they may defer going into admin until the 5th. I believe that is within the regulations.

The regulations state if you enter admin during the ‘normal season’ it applies to that season - or the one after if you enter admin on a specified date in March and are relegated without penalty. The ‘normal season’ doesn’t include the play offs so it ends Wednesday so it would apply to next season.

However this is also where I believe we will have success. The word normal implies exactly that. The ‘normal’ season (not including play offs) should have ended at the start of May as per the competition rules when we entered. The season in its entirety regardless runs July to June as per player contracts. There have been a whole raft of imposed changes in conditions since we started in August meaning there is nothing ‘normal’ about the season we are in - the start and end dates have been extended and in any ‘normal’ season we would be in a new season. It also mean different regulations have been applied to different leagues. A good QC - which we clearly have - will successfully make the case that it is wrong to impose a penalty for a season that the regulations, when we entered it, stated should have ended months ago - which it didn’t due to force majure.

The thing is though MiW, would you seriously want us to stay in the Championship, but then start next season on minus 12? With the expected departures, we'd be almost nailed on to go down at the end of next season.

If we're to have the points deducted nest season, then I think I'd rather us be in League 1. At the very least, I'd expect to avoid relegation .........maybe even scrape the play offs if we were very (very) lucky.

The regulations state if you enter admin during the ‘normal season’ it applies to that season - or the one after if you enter admin on a specified date in March and are relegated without penalty. The ‘normal season’ doesn’t include the play offs so it ends Wednesday so it would apply to next season.

However this is also where I believe we will have success. The word normal implies exactly that. The ‘normal’ season (not including play offs) should have ended at the start of May as per the competition rules when we entered. The season in its entirety regardless runs July to June as per player contracts. There have been a whole raft of imposed changes in conditions since we started in August meaning there is nothing ‘normal’ about the season we are in - the start and end dates have been extended and in any ‘normal’ season we would be in a new season. It also mean different regulations have been applied to different leagues. A good QC - which we clearly have - will successfully make the case that it is wrong to impose a penalty for a season that the regulations, when we entered it, stated should have ended months ago - which it didn’t due to force majure.

I like your optimism and hope you are right, however, playing devil's advocate didn't the clubs vote to extend the "normal" season to take in the remaining fixtures, in which case that is a legally binding agreement to change the competition rules.

Perhaps if we didn't vote for the motion we could say that we were opposed to the restart on the grounds that we were conscious of the fact that having no significant income from the terraces we would be reliant on the owner and due to the pandemic and the effect on his other business interests he was unable to provide the funds. Force Majeure.

It could also be pointed out that although the league say that the new owners were aware of the Covid problems they were not entirely sure of the restart date for the league and had expected the fixtures to be cancelled thus eliminating the need for extra funds. Just a thought.

The thing is though MiW, would you seriously want us to stay in the Championship, but then start next season on minus 12? With the expected departures, we'd be almost nailed on to go down at the end of next season.

If we're to have the points deducted nest season, then I think I'd rather us be in League 1. At the very least, I'd expect to avoid relegation .........maybe even scrape the play offs if we were very (very) lucky.

Initially I thought that for the reason you express - much better to be competitive and therefore enjoyable in a lower league. However with all these relegation clauses seemingly in our better players contracts meaning they can leave for far less than what they’re worth then I think it’s imperative we stay up. I accept they’ll leave but the more we get the better. I could live with the repercussions of likely relegation if it meant our future was better safeguarded. Plus it’s worth an extra 4-5 million in tv revenue and bigger/higher gate receipts should away fans be allowed back.

I see what you're saying, but (and I admit there are a lot of 'ifs' to come) if we stay up, we are more likely to get a good investor who will put some money into the club. It seems there is plenty interest, and we can hope that is interest from the 'right' sort of buyer who wants to progress the club.

That being the case, we may not lose as many of our best players as you think, so long as the deal is done in a reasonable timeframe, which appears to be possible judging by the progress the administrators are currently reporting.

Given what we've seen in the last third of the season, things look to have 'clicked' and we're playing good football and winning games. If we keep the majority of the squad together and keep up the momentum, I don't think we'd go down next year, even with a 12 point deduction... like I said, there's a lot of ifs in there, but I don't think any of them are impossible from what we're seeing on the pitch. It's all a case of keeping the squad together as much as possible, and a new owner would be foolish to allow the squad to be decimated judging by our recent performances. You'd rightly expect that they'd hang on to as many of the first team as is humanly possible, and if they can be onboard by the end of August, that's far from an unreasonable expectation, provided the new owner has the resources and is willing to invest.

I see what you're saying, but (and I admit there are a lot of 'ifs' to come) if we stay up, we are more likely to get a good investor who will put some money into the club. It seems there is plenty interest, and we can hope that is interest from the 'right' sort of buyer who wants to progress the club.

That being the case, we may not lose as many of our best players as you think, so long as the deal is done in a reasonable timeframe, which appears to be possible judging by the progress the administrators are currently reporting.

Given what we've seen in the last third of the season, things look to have 'clicked' and we're playing good football and winning games. If we keep the majority of the squad together and keep up the momentum, I don't think we'd go down next year, even with a 12 point deduction... like I said, there's a lot of ifs in there, but I don't think any of them are impossible from what we're seeing on the pitch. It's all a case of keeping the squad together as much as possible, and a new owner would be foolish to allow the squad to be decimated judging by our recent performances. You'd rightly expect that they'd hang on to as many of the first team as is humanly possible, and if they can be onboard by the end of August, that's far from an unreasonable expectation, provided the new owner has the resources and is willing to invest.

If the rumours are true and a press conference is being arranged for tomorrow to announce the preferred bidder I am sure that the administrators will be asked to refrain from selling assets as the bid would be on the asset value of the club at the time. If they sell anyone without the bidders permission he could claim they have devalued to club.

I like your optimism and hope you are right, however, playing devil's advocate didn't the clubs vote to extend the "normal" season to take in the remaining fixtures, in which case that is a legally binding agreement to change the competition rules.

Perhaps if we didn't vote for the motion we could say that we were opposed to the restart on the grounds that we were conscious of the fact that having no significant income from the terraces we would be reliant on the owner and due to the pandemic and the effect on his other business interests he was unable to provide the funds. Force Majeure.

It could also be pointed out that although the league say that the new owners were aware of the Covid problems they were not entirely sure of the restart date for the league and had expected the fixtures to be cancelled thus eliminating the need for extra funds. Just a thought.

The Championship never voted in the end - just L1 and L2. I’d argue there should be consistency for all members and adherence to regulations applicable when we started nigh on 12 months ago now. Yes this league has carried on - but in terms of punishing clubs for entering admin in that season when it should have legally ended is incorrect interpretation of the regulations given they weren’t written with this situation in mind. Hence the force majure stipulation in them. Effectively all this is unprecedented and untested and do requires an interpretation by an independent panel. When you consider all the unprecedented financial measures implemented outside of football by the government at huge expense I’m confident the panel will deem any punishment now unfair and interpret the regulations accordingly.

I’d also add that the Championship will be as weak next season as it has for some considerable time - both in terms of the new clubs and the financial difficulty those surviving anyway will face.

The Championship never voted in the end - just L1 and L2. I’d argue there should be consistency for all members and adherence to regulations applicable when we started nigh on 12 months ago now. Yes this league has carried on - but in terms of punishing clubs for entering admin in that season when it should have legally ended is incorrect interpretation of the regulations given they weren’t written with this situation in mind. Hence the force majure stipulation in them. Effectively all this is unprecedented and untested and do requires an interpretation by an independent panel. When you consider all the unprecedented financial measures implemented outside of football by the government at huge expense I’m confident the panel will deem any punishment now unfair and interpret the regulations accordingly.

I am sure there was a Directors meeting on the internet to discuss the restart and that a majority of the clubs directors voted to continue.

As I say I admire your belief and hope you are right but I personally think that the extension of the season was agreed and is therefore legally binding.

Hope I'm wrong on this.

If we stay up and we have a new buyer,why would our players want to leave

Because they might be sold in order to reduce the wage bill. We're currently paying out way more per month than we earn.

They may not "want" to leave, but they may need to be sold in order to balance the books.

As MiW and Pon suggest, it depends to a large degree on the financial standing of the new owners.

I am sure there was a Directors meeting on the internet to discuss the restart and that a majority of the clubs directors voted to continue.

As I say I admire your belief and hope you are right but I personally think that the extension of the season was agreed and is therefore legally binding.

Hope I'm wrong on this.

I’m not entirely sure TB but I think there were discussions about PL relegation being conditional on the Championship finishing by playing - and that broadcasters wanted the relegation to maintain interest. I’m not entirely sure there was much choice in the end and they avoided a vote to ensure it finished. We or any other club couldn’t have really pulled out - but that doesn’t mean we need to be punished for doing so by entering admin in what would have legally been a new season. The efl may view it differently, but they don’t often get the outcome at these independent commissions they want.

For me I desperately want stay up even if next season we sell everyone and finish bottom - as I think financially we need the Championship money to help us get the club back on it's feet. I'm not looking at this as what would be better on the field or enjoyable just pragmatically for the clubs rebuilding.

I think rebuilding with only L1 revenue will make it much harder to repair the damage done by Choi and Yeung.

For me I desperately want stay up even if next season we sell everyone and finish bottom - as I think financially we need the Championship money to help us get the club back on it's feet. I'm not looking at this as what would be better on the field or enjoyable just pragmatically for the clubs rebuilding.

I think rebuilding with only L1 revenue will make it much harder to repair the damage done by Choi and Yeung.

In my case it is to say "stuff you" to the EFL.

There is no doubt next season will be a rebuilding job and we may be looking, not only for players, but a manager as well, however we need to find out what any new ownership have in mind and how much cash they have to back up their vision before we can assess what is possible. I would take a relegation next season if I could see that the owner is genuine and prepared to put things in place to get us back up the season after.