Charlton fans | Page 2 | Vital Football

Charlton fans

I feel the same about people who obsess about cars. I could barely tell you what make mine is. They are functional. What's good about them is they get me to football and cricket. That's all I know about mine. Otherwise, I don't give a toss.

Clarkson? Utter p#ick.

Well I'm intrigued. What's all this 'fives' stuff, it's almost discordian?!

Black fives, tell us more, jokerman. Bet we can get an argument about racism going off the back of it....

I feel the same as people who go on about cars. I could barely tell you what make mine is. They are functional. What's good about them is they get me to football and cricket. That's all I know about mine. Otherwise, I don't give a toss.

Yes, cars and trains are pretty boring but if you want talk old buses and trucks...

Well I'm intrigued. What's all this 'fives' stuff, it's almost discordian?!

Black fives, tell us more, jokerman. Bet we can get an argument about racism going off the back of it....

OK then, but I can't take it far into politics, plus you can get it all off Wiki

Black Fives were 4-6-0 (wheel arrangements) standard workhorses of the LMS -freight, suburban at a pinch, and medium haul express. And for those with an eye for such things, they were good lookers too. They had it all, and as such were beloved by the fraternity.

After the war, the Labour government decided to stick with steam engines rather than shift to electric and diesel-electric as much of the developed world were doing. It was a cheap option which fitted in with Labour's austerity strategy of suppressing domestic consumption so that resources could be committed to exporting, recovering disrupted foreign markets, and paying off debts, plus we were sitting on coal (still are), and had loads of unionized people in a nationalized industry to dig it.

The result was a series of new steam locomotive designs, many based on existing models, especially LMS types. I think there were about eight -prosaically identified by their number in what was known as Standard Class. The Standard Class Five was an upgrade on the Black Five -all sorts of technical improvements plus a streamlined cab and high running board over the drive wheels (all the standards seemed to have these two features).

So by the late 50's British Railways was equipped with absolutely state-of-the-art expressions of a technology which elsewhere was fast on the way out. And in the late 50's Britain decided to get rid of them fast too. So fast, in fact, that many of these locomotives were scrapped after only about eight to ten years of working life -ie barely broken in- in the late 1960's.

Labour used to be excoriated for going cheap and saddling us with dirty, smokey, slow steam engines when the rest of the world was moving on. The Tories used to be excoriated for starting the process of getting rid of beautiful machines with souls running on home produced fuel long before their time was up. These days, of course, coal is bad, and everything as it turned out was for the best, just not quick enough (hashtag irony). This is why you can't take politics too seriously and why you shouldn't judge politicians too harshly when they listen to scientists and engineers tell them what they must do.

That's about as far as I can take it, but I bet there are some lurkers out there who can add or set me straight. If so, have at.

'many of these locomotives were scrapped after only about eight to ten years of working life -ie barely broken in- in the late 1960's'

Were they scrapped , as in melted down , or sold off/sacrificed for spare parts etc ?

'many of these locomotives were scrapped after only about eight to ten years of working life -ie barely broken in- in the late 1960's'

Were they scrapped , as in melted down , or sold off/sacrificed for spare parts etc ?

Loads sat around for years in scrap yards and then got discovered by rich boomers who restored them!

OK then, but I can't take it far into politics, plus you can get it all off Wiki

Black Fives were 4-6-0 (wheel arrangements) standard workhorses of the LMS -freight, suburban at a pinch, and medium haul express. And for those with an eye for such things, they were good lookers too. They had it all, and as such were beloved by the fraternity.

After the war, the Labour government decided to stick with steam engines rather than shift to electric and diesel-electric as much of the developed world were doing. It was a cheap option which fitted in with Labour's austerity strategy of suppressing domestic consumption so that resources could be committed to exporting, recovering disrupted foreign markets, and paying off debts, plus we were sitting on coal (still are), and had loads of unionized people in a nationalized industry to dig it.

The result was a series of new steam locomotive designs, many based on existing models, especially LMS types. I think there were about eight -prosaically identified by their number in what was known as Standard Class. The Standard Class Five was an upgrade on the Black Five -all sorts of technical improvements plus a streamlined cab and high running board over the drive wheels (all the standards seemed to have these two features).

So by the late 50's British Railways was equipped with absolutely state-of-the-art expressions of a technology which elsewhere was fast on the way out. And in the late 50's Britain decided to get rid of them fast too. So fast, in fact, that many of these locomotives were scrapped after only about eight to ten years of working life -ie barely broken in- in the late 1960's.

Labour used to be excoriated for going cheap and saddling us with dirty, smokey, slow steam engines when the rest of the world was moving on. The Tories used to be excoriated for starting the process of getting rid of beautiful machines with souls running on home produced fuel long before their time was up. These days, of course, coal is bad, and everything as it turned out was for the best, just not quick enough (hashtag irony). This is why you can't take politics too seriously and why you shouldn't judge politicians too harshly when they listen to scientists and engineers tell them what they must do.

That's about as far as I can take it, but I bet there are some lurkers out there who can add or set me straight. If so, have at.
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

So you don't own one then ?
I'm not into trains or busses really , but love all the restoration stuff and getting my hands oily ?

A mate of mine restored one of the old Bedford Ministry of Technology cinema buses. There were only ever five or six ever made. I've sat in there watching films.

Mind you, I never knew he'd appeared in the fcking Hate Mail! I mean, I know he was trying to sell it (and did) but ffs, the Mail?! You wait til I see him!!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...le-spent-35-000-say-busy-toddlers-run-it.html

Last edited:

Many thanks for that, you interesting fcker!

How interested, jokerman? Do you like to spot them?

When I went to Carlisle on the supporters bus all those years ago (the year we finally got that elusive away win thanks to two Nicky Forster goals) there was some bloke got the coach up there with us. He had no interest whatsoever in the football but apparently there was some rare train passing through Carlisle that afternoon. Fcking weirdo!!!
Hahaha, love the elaborate build up to calling someone a f***ing weirdo ??