Charlie Lee | Vital Football

Charlie Lee

chris who

Vital Champions League
Has retired at the age of 34 .
A whole hearted player who gave some excellent performances in the Blue of Gillingham.
I would like to thank Charlie for what he did for us and wish him a happy retirement with whatever direction his life takes next.

Last edited:
I presume this means Whelpdales retirement must also be imminent.......
Chris Whelpdale appears to be enjoying life on the south coast with Eastbourne Borough. He has scored a few times this season and appears to be playing regularly.If I remember rightly Charlie Lee was never one for pre season friendlies etc.Charlie could well have a injury that is in part helping him make the decision to retire.Or he simply hates the idea of playing at a similar level to Chris.
Incidentally Connor Essam and Michael Dickinson also play for Eastbourne Borough.

Chris Whelpdale appears to be enjoying life on the south coast with Eastbourne Borough. He has scored a few times this season and appears to be playing regularly.If I remember rightly Charlie Lee was never one for pre season friendlies etc.Charlie could well have a injury that is in part helping him make the decision to retire.Or he simply hates the idea of playing at a similar level to Chris.
Incidentally Connor Essam and Michael Dickinson also play for Eastbourne Borough.

It said in the the tweets from Billericay FC and Charlie that he’s retiring due to recurring injury and that it was a tough decision.

I remember the excitement when Lee and Whelpdale signed. Top players for us. We could do with a whelpdale at his best now.

Whelps wasn’t very quick but did well at creating chances.

I liked Lee - never gave less than 100% effort, my kind of player

Competitive players like Charlie Lee and indeed Andy Hessenthaler pick up bookings.It is almost part of their game.Every team needs a feared tough skinned midfielder.

unfortunately the art of the tackle is leaving the game. Pretty sure our resident card collector O’Keefe wouldn’t have as many if he played 10 years ago.

unfortunately the art of the tackle is leaving the game. Pretty sure our resident card collector O’Keefe wouldn’t have as many if he played 10 years ago.
Totally agree my pet hate is players like Chris Palmer who appeared to spend his whole time avoiding tackling anyone Personally I will never criticise a player for making a genuine effort to win the ball unless their effort is genuinely dangerous.

Last edited:
Good luck Charlie
Odd in a way that they always seemed to go together as a pair; being very different players; Lee gave 100% (his regular booking was almost amusing) while Whelpdale was smooth and silky and calm, with an eye for goal
Very much enjoyed their time with Gills

Good luck Charlie
Odd in a way that they always seemed to go together as a pair; being very different players; Lee gave 100% (his regular booking was almost amusing) while Whelpdale was smooth and silky and calm, with an eye for goal
Very much enjoyed their time with Gills
No really that odd as they were clearly good friends.

Before 1990 I doubt he would booked at all, as Jimmy Greaves once said 'You would have to be caught burying the body in the penalty area in the 60's or 70's to get sent off'.