Changes to the starting 11 | Vital Football

Changes to the starting 11

Rza

Vital Champions League
Time has come for change we can't keep ignoring the obvious problems in the team. Possibly even a change in formation. It's unlikely Howe will change the formation but this would be my preferred selection. At least give it a shot seeing as we're not scoring goals.

.....................pope
trippier....schar....botman....targett
ASM.....bruno....joelinton....almiron
..............wilson....isak

I'd give Wilson a couple more games in a different formation hopefully with some decent service and if he doesn't improve get rid and put Gordon in. If we had bought a striker in January it would be 1 less number we'd need in summer but as it stands and with Wilson being a liability we'll probably need 3 strikers before we even look at other positions.

I'd be happy with those players but disagree on the switching of Miggy and ASM

It isn't just about Miggy on that right hand side - it's about his partnership with Trippier

Aye fair enough Miggy cuts in a lot but he also allows Trippier to overlap and get those whipped balls in from deeper

I don't see it as a problem that he cuts in as that creates as many problems (if not more) for defences while Trippier is overlapping

I wouldn't say Wilson is a liability either - he's been excellent for us for the most part - his fitness and the amount of matches he plays is always going to be a problem though hense why I wanted him replaced last Summer

I'd be happy with those players but disagree on the switching of Miggy and ASM

It isn't just about Miggy on that right hand side - it's about his partnership with Trippier

Aye fair enough Miggy cuts in a lot but he also allows Trippier to overlap and get in those whipped balls in from deeper

I don't see it as a problem that he cuts in as that creates as many problems (if not more) for defences while Trippier is overlapping

I wouldn't say Wilson is a liability either - he's been excellent for us for the most part - his fitness and the amount of matches he plays is always going to be a problem though hense why I wanted him replaced last Summer

Maybe if they switched flanks during the game we would know if they were more productive but they don't. You're talking about trippier and Almirons partnership, how do you know targett wouldn't link up well with him. To be honest I think trippier deliveries have been shocking lately

Maybe if they switched flanks during the game we would know if they were more productive but they don't. You're talking about trippier and Almirons partnership, how do you know targett wouldn't link up well with him. To be honest I think trippier deliveries have been shocking lately

You suggest them switching flanks as if its their decision - it isnt

Trippier and Almiron have proven they work well together - there's evidence the right hand side has been fruitfull

I agree it's gone stale but Targett behind ASM on the left could also be an improvement - Burn has been excellent but offers very little going forward

What part of my post suggested it's the players decision? The whole point of the thread was a change in personnel, formation and tactics. Which is obviously the managers decision and I've been critical of Howe in the past for not changing things. You can't argue when we're winning games but now we're not. As for Dan burn he never did offer anything going forward but now he's not offering much at the back either. I like Dan burn and I wouldn't be opposed to him playing centre half but he's not a left back.

.....................pope
trippier....schar....botman....targett
ASM.....bruno....joelinton....almiron
..............wilson....isak
Not a bad shout, with Gordon filling in for miggy in order to keep him from burning out.

Reactions: Rza
What part of my post suggested it's the players decision? The whole point of the thread was a change in personnel, formation and tactics. Which is obviously the managers decision and I've been critical of Howe in the past for not changing things. You can't argue when we're winning games but now we're not. As for Dan burn he never did offer anything going forward but now he's not offering much at the back either. I like Dan burn and I wouldn't be opposed to him playing centre half but he's not a left back.

The part where you say "maybe if they switched flanks during the game"

The part where you say "maybe if they switched flanks during the game"
Yes because players regularly just move position without being instructed to do so. I'm pretty sure you seen me state on another thread that they should swap flanks but that isn't going to happen until they're told to do so. It's the same as Dan burn at left back he wants in the team does he want to play left back? Probably not

I would play Isak with Gordon and have Wilson on the bench. He has served us well but is injury prone and not going to get any better. I agree Burn is not a left back. ASM needs to be played to see if he can produce consistant quality performances else goodbye.

No system would compliment ASM. He's beyond a joke now. At least previously he could win a free kick or 1 decent cross, but now he can't seem to do owt.

It’s Man City so we will need to be at the top of our game whoever plays. No harm in changing it up a bit having said this as it’s a game we will probably now win

Have Isak, ASM and Bruno all started a game together yet?

Don't think they have and i think it could start clicking again if those three get a run in the team together.

I'd be bringing Targett back in for Burn, especially at home to teams who sit in against us.

Based on Joelinton's suspension and the need of a tweak here and there, this is the team that I would start against Wolves next week.

Pope
Targett, Schar, Botman, Trippier
Longstaff, Bruno, Willock,
Maxi, Isak, Gordon,

I reckon that Howe will keep Burn and Almiron in tho.

Based on Joelinton's suspension and the need of a tweak here and there, this is the team that I would start against Wolves next week.

Pope
Targett, Schar, Botman, Trippier
Longstaff, Bruno, Willock,
Maxi, Isak, Gordon,

I reckon that Howe will keep Burn and Almiron in tho.

Yes. On form (Wilson; Almiron); necessity (Joelinton) and dynamic (Burn), I would agree.

Almiron was our most effective attacker yesterday, out of a very bad crop. He was the only one who offered anything until the subs came on. Isak offered more in 15 minutes than Wilson did in 75.

Bruno was shite (can't say that, he's Brazilian), JoeL was shite (can't say that, he's Brazilian).

Gordon was anonymous.

Time to get it back on track, Eddie lad.