Champions league v Europa | Page 2 | Vital Football

Champions league v Europa

What do you want next season

• Champions League

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Europa

Votes: 10 83.3%

• Total voters
I see S10 you do not mention us lot being stronger next season, new signings, lessons learnt.

Do you not think that we might just have a say in all things next season?
I certainly do PY.

I do have a sneaky feeling though that Newcastle and Chelsea might be touch ahead of us though.

Newcastle have had worse injuries than us this season. They’ve also had CL, yet come the end of season there are only likely to be a few points separate us.

Chelsea are starting to come together and will be much better next season. They won’t have European football to distract them either.

Throw European football into the mix and player rotation and we are very much untested in this new setup.

That said, I can’t wait to see how we cope and how the project develops.

I believe the Europa may well be our best chance; what say you?
I'll stick with my often expressed view that we'll 'break our duck' by winning the Europa League next season. Everybody wants to be in the CL, but the Europa is a very credible competition in its own right these days, and it would be good to go into the CL in a couple of seasons time, when we should be ready, as reigning Europa League winners.

Must agree on a lot of points made here
Great thread Spex by the way.
Are we ready for CL? Not just yet.
But the UEFA (or what ever it is now) may actually suit us better, given (as has been said) the no 'drop down' it could be easier to win, but I'm now not sure on the new format.
My only issue remains in the Europa is as always travelling to the Ar$ e end of Europe to play games.
But indeed Europa could be winnable, and maybe preferable to an early dart from CL, which could be counter productive in our growth.

At the end of last season ,,the only way I thought we could get into Europe would have been a pre season friendly .
Even to be here now ,,discussing playing in Europe next season is a remarkable achievement.
So , for me , I think we have to test ourselves against the best. It’s the only way to forge progress .

We have to push ourselves to win all our remaining games this season and see where that takes us .

We cannot be afraid of anyone at any time .

To be the best you have to beat the best .

So , for me , the Europa will be a consolation , but one that I never thought we had a chance of qualifying for .

At the end of last season ,,the only way I thought we could get into Europe would have been a pre season friendly .
Even to be here now ,,discussing playing in Europe next season is a remarkable achievement.
So , for me , I think we have to test ourselves against the best. It’s the only way to forge progress .

We have to push ourselves to win all our remaining games this season and see where that takes us .

We cannot be afraid of anyone at any time .

To be the best you have to beat the best .

So , for me , the Europa will be a consolation , but one that I never thought we had a chance of qualifying for .
Sorry to disappoint Walthamstow but our pre season friendlies are in South East Asia so even that routes closed.

Sorry to disappoint Walthamstow but our pre season friendlies are in South East Asia so even that routes closed.
Ha ha , typical.,.,…. I was on about the end of last season though , but I know what you mean .

I just feel that we have to aim and go for the best we can be .

I feel that aiming for , and accepting , the Europa is a cop out .

Aquire CL , give it every thing we’ve got , in the Transfer market and on the pitch , and push ourselves .

There is no other way to know how good we can be .

CL just for the money to invest in better players but will we survive at that level playing our style of football? ... I fear not and we will be lucky to get out of the group phase let alone go on and win the thing

Hopefully we won't feck up too much and let Chelsea & Utd overtake us and then end up in 8th. We are masters of the feck up....

As I’m sure most of you know, I’m old school. I think it has to be something to do with age.

A club can win the Champions League without actually being the champions of its home country. So why is it called The Champions League? And this is where the ‘old school’ thing comes in.

The European Cup – the first ever five of which were won by Real – was solely a competition for national champions. There were no group stages. And there was no way that a club finishing second, third or fourth in their national league, could win the Cup. There were simply home and away games in each round. And every game was between champions. If the opposing club beat you there were no second chances. You could not climb from the bottom of the group to the top by beating other clubs in your group. Every game was about destiny and glory, and the excitement this created for supporters was immeasurable.

This format was the basis of White Hart Lane being known as White Hot Lane throughout the 60s. But this format also presented us with an authentic champion’s competition – unlike the current format.

In football there are league competitions and there are Cup competitions, each with its own brand of magic and excitement for supporters. Why on earth would anyone want to combine the two.

Unless it was for financial reasons, of course!

Like I said, I’m old school.

As I’m sure most of you know, I’m old school. I think it has to be something to do with age.

A club can win the Champions League without actually being the champions of its home country. So why is it called The Champions League? And this is where the ‘old school’ thing comes in.

The European Cup – the first ever five of which were won by Real – was solely a competition for national champions. There were no group stages. And there was no way that a club finishing second, third or fourth in their national league, could win the Cup. There were simply home and away games in each round. And every game was between champions. If the opposing club beat you there were no second chances. You could not climb from the bottom of the group to the top by beating other clubs in your group. Every game was about destiny and glory, and the excitement this created for supporters was immeasurable.

This format was the basis of White Hart Lane being known as White Hot Lane throughout the 60s. But this format also presented us with an authentic champion’s competition – unlike the current format.

In football there are league competitions and there are Cup competitions, each with its own brand of magic and excitement for supporters. Why on earth would anyone want to combine the two.

Unless it was for financial reasons, of course!

Like I said, I’m old school.
With you there Geof ,

The European Cup and Cup Winners Cup .

It was the Inter City Fairs Cup that fucked it all up , when UEFA realised they could make money out of proposing a European Super League .

We had Forty two games a season back then , with the Home internationals after the F A cup final .
A transfer window that closed in March and opened again after the last game of the season and players had decent rest periods .

Referees would talk to players , warn them first that their conduct was unbecoming , and then enter their name in their little black book if their conduct continued .

Old School . Yup .
Being cautioned now is totally meaningless . It carries no stigma ,,no fine , and only benefits opponents further down the line .,

I want us to win every game and finish in 4th position so by default I want to qualify for the CL. It won't happen so I'll have to settle for a lesser comp, and get some shlt teams from faraway places to play. Our chances of winning any comp are slim so why not aspire to compete in the best? Also, the challenge the PL will be intense next year so an exit at the group stage might help us domestically.

We will be fighting to hold onto a Europa League place now. With our run in, it won't be easy at all.

Am I right in saying that Utd get a EL place whether they win or lose the FA Cup final?

In my mind, Chelsea and Newcastle finish above Utd. If we get zero points from the 4 big games, we'll be in trouble. I bet we have a must win game away to Shef Utd.

Am I right in saying that Utd get a EL place whether they win or lose the FA Cup final?

In my mind, Chelsea and Newcastle finish above Utd. If we get zero points from the 4 big games, we'll be in trouble. I bet we have a must win game away to Shef Utd.
That's my understanding too, and sadly, I don't expect we'll gain any points from our big run in games, at least, not if we don't amend or evolve our tactical approach to these games.

I also think Ange expects us not to, after the Newcastle game, he too said he expected us to get walloped again and again...and it sounded like he had one eye on these games.

I want us to win every game and finish in 4th position so by default I want to qualify for the CL. It won't happen so I'll have to settle for a lesser comp, and get some shlt teams from faraway places to play. Our chances of winning any comp are slim so why not aspire to compete in the best? Also, the challenge the PL will be intense next year so an exit at the group stage might help us domestically.

I did also think the same, but I think we have to learn how to 'win' and that may just be by making smaller positive progress and putting some (any!) silverware on those shelves...