Champions League - Red Star Belgrade FC (The Red-Whites) vs Tottenham Hotspur | Page 13 | Vital Football

Champions League - Red Star Belgrade FC (The Red-Whites) vs Tottenham Hotspur

Well Lo Celso is everything I said he was and he’ll only improve further. N’dombele just gets better - and we looked much better balanced if a little narrow.

I hope Dier will now fight to keep a place as a CB - as I’ve long argued it’s his natural position.

All in all absolutely nothing to complain about. Good to see Sess on - now at long last we can see the difference these buys can make.

- that said, they really were poor and I really did think they’d step it up and give us a tough game - but this may well be the sort of Confidence boost we so desperately needed.

Whilst Eriksen still looks like his lost his memory and can’t work out how to pass - even his goal might get him to re-learn some basic skills.

Well done Poch - big pat on the back for tactically and selection wise getting it 100% right. Playing Son was absolutely the right thing to do.
Agree with everything said. I would add that despite RSB being a poor team, the new faces brought genuine freshness to the team. So with new faces and being an away fixture, the performance deserved recognition.

I found both Celso and N'D the type of players we've been screaming out for. Both were making themselves available with off the ball movement and wanting to make something happen. N'D was pretty much a younger version of Moussa Demebele and some nice trickery, though he did make a couple of very poor touch passes, snuffed out by defence. Hope Winks also learnt from watching these two,

Finally, it's not so much just about getting these newbies up to speed, imo, it's getting the current crop adapting rapidly to benefit from their strengths. Sonny needs that selfish streak attenuated.

Here's hoping it was not a false dawn.

Good to see a convincing win for a change.
Now the guys have to prove that they can do the same in the hustle and bustle of the Prem.
And our dear Poch dont decide to play Eriksen again.

Agree with everything said. I would add that despite RSB being a poor team, the new faces brought genuine freshness to the team. So with new faces and being an away fixture, the performance deserved recognition.

I found both Celso and N'D the type of players we've been screaming out for. Both were making themselves available with off the ball movement and wanting to make something happen. N'D was pretty much a younger version of Moussa Demebele and some nice trickery, though he did make a couple of very poor touch passes, snuffed out by defence. Hope Winks also learnt from watching these two,

Finally, it's not so much just about getting these newbies up to speed, imo, it's getting the current crop adapting rapidly to benefit from their strengths. Sonny needs that selfish streak attenuated.

Here's hoping it was not a false dawn.

Now you see why I thought and argued that we'd bought exceptionally well - it's just a pity that we've had to wait so long to see it in action.

So, for Spudon's sake :-) I hope now all can see that Steve knows his job.

N'Dombele is everything Dembele wasn't - of course there are times when his defence-splitting passes won't quite make it or aren't as pinpoint as he can be - but that is exactly what I wanted to see; it means we have a forward-thinking midfielder that isn't afraid to try (something that has been driving me nuts for years).

There is nothing false about N'dombele or Lo Celso, but it will be all about how they knit into the team and how they pass far harder tests to come.

As for Sess, as I said when we first signed him, I'm told by someone who should know that they expect him to be 'special' but I just haven't seen enough of him to come to that conclusion - but if he is, we had a fantastic window and I hope a few here don't forget it!!

Last edited:
Now you see why I thought and argued that we'd bought exceptionally well - it's just a pity that we've had to wait so long to see it in action.

So, for Spudon's sake :-) I hope now all can see that Steve know's his job.

N'Dombele is everything Dembele wasn't - of course there are times when his defence-splitting passes won't quite make it or aren't as pinpoint as he can be - but that is exactly what I wanted to see; it means with a forward-thinking midfielder that isn't afraid to try (something that has been driving me nuts for years).

There is nothing false about N'dombele or Lo Celso, but it will be all about how they knit into the team and how they pass far harder tests to come.

As for Sess, as I said when we first signed him, I'm told by someone who should know that they expect him to be 'special' but I just haven't seen enough of him to come to that conclusion - but if he is, we had a fantastic window and I hope a few here don't forget it!!

N’Dombele I have known was class all along. Lo Celso is promising, let’s hope his goal gives him confidence. But even if all 3 summer signings come good, I wouldn’t call it a fantastic window. We have 3 players, key players of previous seasons, allowed to enter their final season of their contract. Had we at least sold Eriksen, it would seem a very good window. But it’s early days, let’s see more of Lo Celso and Sessegnon

Ericksen made one telling pass in his time on the pitch, no tackles and a scuffed shot for a goal, His defensive closing down was abysmal. He comes on when the game is won so what effort was he gonna put in exacly given how he has performed for a long time,

He does not put effort in when the game is there to be won so what exactly would we expect when it is Won.

Go fourth Eric in Jan ...I hear rumours that Mansfield are showing interest

2 subtle but welcome changes tonight as well.

The first was that we were back to pressing all over the pitch and leaving them with no time to think. Guys like Lo Celso lead by example in that department and don't wait for others. They just unselfishly do it. We've been doing a great impression of the Chuckle Brothers all season in the pressing department.

The second is very subtle. That is the goalkeeper distribution. Finding that balance between when to play short and when to play long but eliminating those stupid dinks to the wide areas where we always lose possession. I thought Gazza's decision making with ball at feet was outstanding.
Spot on Muttley. Really warming to Gazza . He plays with both feet and with confidence. When Hugo had the ball at his feet it’s as good as given possession to our opponents . One time last night , he “sideswiped” a pass straight to the feet of LoCelso on the half way line . Very impressive
I though LoCelso and Ndombele were really good last night .
haven’t got a clue what Eriksen thought he was doing out there . Couldn’t even control a pass straight to his feet in the area and passing directly to them every time . He must be doing it in purpose I’m sure . If he was worth 80m + last year we would be lucky to get 80 pounds for him now

So, for Spudon's sake :-) I hope now all can see that Steve know's his job.

N'Dombele is everything Dembele wasn't - of course there are times when his defence-splitting passes won't quite make it or aren't as pinpoint as he can be - but that is exactly what I wanted to see; it means with a forward-thinking midfielder that isn't afraid to try (something that has been driving me nuts for years).

lol - "fantastic" window? I can't wait for which descriptor you come out with when we really do smash it out of the park :-)

Happy with Hitchen's work though. One more signing of the quality we got would have been awesome. Not to be though. After 3 years of transfer misery, we have turned a corner but need to do a better job of churning players. Ultimately, the club really only managed to shift Trips with the other 2 senior players walking on freebies. The rest was necessary but table stakes stuff.

We can only look forward though and last night was a glimpse into our future. The churn can't happen quick enough.

Obviously RSB were pretty awful and the couple of times they did threaten us were evidence of there still being flaws in our game, but we were far more organised, confident and positive.

Lo Celso is a breath of fresh air, Ndombele is an absolute beast, Dier (finally) showing that he could become the perfect partner at CB for Sanchez if given a lot more chances to get match fit and sharp.

It's obvious to me that between Kane, Dele and Sonny we have plenty of assists and goals. Add that mix the positive and confident play of Lo Celso and Ndombele you have more creativity plus goals and assists. Sissoko has been doing an excellent job of setting a tempo and being strong in possession but it is important that Poch understands that he isnt a DM, despite him working hard to fill in there.

Last night was the lineup we needed to see. Foyth did a decent job, as much as Aurier has been doing better, but RB is definitely an area we need to address. Rose has lost a yard and some of his passing last night was poor but you can see he is trying and working hard.

I hope Poch has now seen that Eriksen, Toby and Jan all need to up their game to get back into the team.

Good to see a convincing win for a change.
Now the guys have to prove that they can do the same in the hustle and bustle of the Prem.
And our dear Poch dont decide to play Eriksen again.
Well we all know that because LoCelso got a good run last night, in his mind Poch is thinking he can now start Eriksen on Sat!

N’Dombele I have known was class all along. Lo Celso is promising, let’s hope his goal gives him confidence. But even if all 3 summer signings come good, I wouldn’t call it a fantastic window. We have 3 players, key players of previous seasons, allowed to enter their final season of their contract. Had we at least sold Eriksen, it would seem a very good window. But it’s early days, let’s see more of Lo Celso and Sessegnon

It's funny how many were screaming for Eriksen to be tied down to a new deal.

As for the other key players, they got us to a CL final, if we'd sold them when I thought we should because they were on a fast decline, everyone here would have probably thought I'd lost the plot.

Running them on has cost the club millions and millions, yet I heard no one showing any understanding of why that was a 'brave' decision - even if ultimately we've had to pay for it in our dreadful domestic form.

Hopefully, it's not too late to turn it right around this season.

Last edited:
Obviously RSB were pretty awful and the couple of times they did threaten us were evidence of there still being flaws in our game, but we were far more organised, confident and positive.

Lo Celso is a breath of fresh air, Ndombele is an absolute beast, Dier (finally) showing that he could become the perfect partner at CB for Sanchez if given a lot more chances to get match fit and sharp.

It's obvious to me that between Kane, Dele and Sonny we have plenty of assists and goals. Add that mix the positive and confident play of Lo Celso and Ndombele you have more creativity plus goals and assists. Sissoko has been doing an excellent job of setting a tempo and being strong in possession but it is important that Poch understands that he isnt a DM, despite him working hard to fill in there.

Last night was the lineup we needed to see. Foyth did a decent job, as much as Aurier has been doing better, but RB is definitely an area we need to address. Rose has lost a yard and some of his passing last night was poor but you can see he is trying and working hard.

I hope Poch has now seen that Eriksen, Toby and Jan all need to up their game to get back into the team.

They are not our future, all three need to be sitting on the bench unless circumstances force us to call upon them - none of them are good enough anymore and haven't been for sometime.

Well we all know that because LoCelso got a good run last night, in his mind Poch is thinking he can now start Eriksen on Sat!

Is it that simple though?

Nobody wants Eriksen to play, but do need to understand that if neither Lo Celso or Dele make it on Saturday, it's for different reasons other than favouritism towards Eriksen. Can Lo Celso go from a couple of cameos to 2 full games in 4 days. I think he'll be on the bench. Not sure about Dele who was withdrawn slightly earlier than Poch normally makes subs.

It's the fitness of Winks and Lamela that's part of this equation as well.

They are not our future, all three need to be sitting on the bench unless circumstances force us to call upon them - none of them are good enough anymore and haven't been for sometime.

Less sure about Toby actually. He's only 30 and with the pace of Aurier and Sanchez either side plus better protection from the midfield he can still be very consistent. He's also done nothing wrong in the last couple of games and had his sixth sense in overdrive and led the back four.

It's a tough call for Poch because Dier showed some qualities last night and also needs backing if he's going to commit his long term future to the club. I think I'm right in saying he's only a year behind Toby and Jan from walking on a freebie.

Is it that simple though?

Nobody wants Eriksen to play, but do need to understand that if neither Lo Celso or Dele make it on Saturday, it's for different reasons other than favouritism towards Eriksen. Can Lo Celso go from a couple of cameos to 2 full games in 4 days. I think he'll be on the bench. Not sure about Dele who was withdrawn slightly earlier than Poch normally makes subs.

It's the fitness of Winks and Lamela that's part of this equation as well.

He hasn't played much football, so as long as he was fit (and he looked it) he should be well clear of the Red zone - so on that basis he should be picked.

Shame really as all the criticism levied at Poch, Levy + Scouts is brought upon by the 'system' and the regime' Reading the following article, which essentially echoes what all of us have observed, does seriously beg the question, why did we create the mess only to start a rebuild when any project requires basics of continuity, that was criminally neglected.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...e-shine-as-youthful-tottenham-thrash-red-star

Shame really as all the criticism levied at Poch, Levy + Scouts is brought upon by the 'system' and the regime' Reading the following article, which essentially echoes what all of us have observed, does seriously beg the question, why did we create the mess only to start a rebuild when any project requires basics of continuity, that was criminally neglected.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...e-shine-as-youthful-tottenham-thrash-red-star

I thought the criticism chucked at the New scouting set up was unfounded.

Poch deserved all the crap thrown at him for the way he conducted himself last season - as for Levy, he was going to get shite chucked at him no matter what as he is for so many a target for almost irrational hate - much of that is borne out of ignorance of the constraints he has had to work within - and a lack of knowledge by most of us of how to run a top flight club.

This Exactly its hilarious and EX talks as about revisionism. Have a look at the table then consider: Toby, Jan, Eriksen, Rose, Aurier all actively want to leave and we had to resign Vorm. Yep it was an excellent window Steve's a genius.

Well surprise surprise what a difference a tweek or 2 to the line up makes.

Eriksen, Aurier out. Foyth, Lo Celso (and Sessegnon) coming in.

Start playing Dier, Ndombele, Lo Celso, Sessegnon and I'm sure our fortunes will change, they're all hungry.

And by the way in case we didn't already know...Ndombele is a beast.