Challinor Gone | Vital Football

Challinor Gone

Alfalf2

Vital Reserves Team
Although no official confirmation from either club the Mail is saying Challinor is "set to leave Hartlepool United to become Stockport County manager".
Devastating News.

This is a disaster. Dave has probably been the best manager that we have ever had, based on what he took on and the level of budget he has been working with. Where do we go from here? At least he has left us with a healthy 23 pts, and halfway to safety after 15 games. Best of luck to a top bloke.

As you say Alf2, devastating news - if it proves true!
My take on Raj refusing Stockport permission to talk to DC, is that informal talks had already taken place and that Stockport just wanted to close the deal formally. Also, Raj being a canny businessman, he wasn't going to let a prize asset go cheaply.
Guess we supporter's will just have to wait and see.

Ultimately, money talks.

Northern Echo would appear to suggest that DC has told Pools that he is leaving to take the role at Stockport.
Sweeney to take charge of the team for tomorrow night's match.

It was bound to happen sometime. Stockport seem to be loaded with cash so presumably an offer to good to turn down. DC seems happy in the National League so I wish him well. Now we just need to find somebody even better and Raj doesn't seem like he's happy to take the past HUFC route of promoting one of the senior players or backroom staff. I'm happy for him to take the time to get the right person in. Also I hope we get a decent wedge from Stockport.

Be interesting to see if he takes any players with him. Featherstone and Holohan would be the two obvious ones.

They are both under contract so if we get decent fees to get replacement so be it. Now if Sterry was to go, that would be very bad news.

My take on Raj refusing Stockport permission to talk to DC, is that informal talks had already taken place and that Stockport just wanted to close the deal formally. Also, Raj being a canny businessman, he wasn't going to let a prize asset go cheaply.

Ultimately, money talks.
Yes it is true. Its now on the official site. I fully understand that in football loyalty is bought and sold like any other commodity but I am struggling with the this. Dave C was taken to the hearts of Poolies like no other manager I can remember. He is out on the beer with the Poolies in Bristol. He knows he is thought of as "the King" then he just walks away. It is not the departure that rankles, it is the manner of the departure. Cant find it in me to wish him well.

Must admit that I'm nonplussed by this departure, but perhaps DC has come to the realisation that the constraints of the Transfer Window in the EFL means his style of management is doomed to ultimately fail.

As for taking any of our contracted players with him, it won't happen until the opening of the January transfer window at the earliest as we'd be left short and struggling.

As you say, no players can be signed by or from other clubs till the transfer window opens. As for us being left short and struggling.....I dont think that would be a concern of any opposing manager, Dave C included.

As you say, no players can be signed by or from other clubs till the transfer window opens. As for us being left short and struggling.....I dont think that would be a concern of any opposing manager, Dave C included.
NL teams aren't restricted by the transfer window, but for Pools to sell any of the squad before the EFL window reopens would be foolhardy. We don't even have a Youth Team to draw on!

but perhaps DC has come to the realisation that the constraints of the Transfer Window in the EFL means his style of management is doomed to ultimately fail.
I dont know any more than anyone else but I suspect there are two reasons for DC joining Stockport. Firstly, they offered him a huge salary increase and secondly there are funds available to sign players unlike at Pools where the budget is limited.

Last edited:
NL teams aren't restricted by the transfer window, but for Pools to sell any of the squad before the EFL window reopens would be foolhardy. We don't even have a Youth Team to draw on!
Good point, I had forgotten the NL has different transfer rules. That being the case, I suppose there is a danger Sterry, Holohan and one or two others could be on their way. A form of asset stripping. So, more reasons to be cheerful.

As we all know "money talks", but to paraphrase The Beatles "can't buy me success ".
I fully anticipate Pools will still be in League2 next season, Stockport maybe but maybe not!

In respect of a new manager, there'll be plenty of applicants, perhaps we'll get lucky and appoint a new "Neal Cooper " who will drive the club on.

…... I fully understand that in football loyalty is bought and sold like any other commodity but I am struggling with the this. Cant find it in me to wish him well.

Truly agree, it reveals how shallow he is, how he lacks resilience. Like you I can’t wish him well.
Lots of people who go to pools’ games don’t work in the town, they live there but often work away from home during the week, work hard, miss the people around them and return home at the weekend. DC wasn’t putting himself out, he was just doing what most hard working [Hartlepool] folk do.

we’ll survive, we more resilient than those in the NW. Anyway life’s in black & white over there 🤫.
:red:

Ultimately, money talks.
Until Pools agree to release him from his contract, he cant be employed by anyone else so although he has said he wants to go, he is still theoretically manager of Pools until Raj gets the amount of compensation he deems appropriate. While we know he has left and wont be back, it could be a while before he is legally allowed to start his job at Stockport. I Hope Raj is busy this week.

Confirmed as Stockport's new boss, and as suspected it was the allure of the money that attracted him, evident in his comments on the BBC website.
I'd thank him for getting us back into the EFL, but I'm disappointed by his departure and the manner of it.

Still at least Pools are in the EFL, Stockport are yet to escape the clutches of the NL!

Seems there might be all sorts of implications, as my boy said to me….illegal approaches = fines, release from contract = compensation. Should cost them a pretty penny, if they don’t go up this season - wage caps etc next season, has to be sh+£ or bust for them, if they’re not careful could well be the latter.
:red:

Until Pools agree to release him from his contract, he cant be employed by anyone else so although he has said he wants to go, he is still theoretically manager of Pools until Raj gets the amount of compensation he deems appropriate. While we know he has left and wont be back, it could be a while before he is legally allowed to start his job at Stockport. I Hope Raj is busy this week.
Looks like Raj wasn't busy.