Celebrity Encounters | Page 3 | Vital Football

Celebrity Encounters

jimmy dugdale and few of the lads at his pub ,helping him out, up on the chester road ,near kingstanding, a great centre half and gentleman, also met the doog my idol , oh and crowther, misrable git, wouldnt give me his autograph,,seanie

Andy gray. Full on knob.
He come in our curry house a few times be back in the 90's , as did Bob Warman who described it as the Raj of Raja's . I used to see Trevor Francis occasionally over the last few years when I was walking the dog in the park, he'd be out power walking , I'll probably get abuse for saying it but he was always very polite saying good morning etc. and seemed a true gent.

During my time working for the breweries I met numerous celebrities. Most were decent and had some great nights with some lovely people. The star was without doubt was Sir Bobby Charlton whom I had dinner with and the worst without doubt were Fleetwood Mac.

Yes, my chauffeur mate said exactly the same thing, they sound like vile people.

He come in our curry house a few times be back in the 90's , as did Bob Warman who described it as the Raj of Raja's . I used to see Trevor Francis occasionally over the last few years when I was walking the dog in the park, he'd be out power walking , I'll probably get abuse for saying it but he was always very polite saying good morning etc. and seemed a true gent.

Yes, not talked to him myself, but always came over as a nice guy I think.

Met Trev once actually and yes, I concur. A true gent.

On the Small Heath theme, have met Jasper Carrott a number of times and he is actually very sound and very funny.

Met Trev once actually and yes, I concur. A true gent.

On the Small Heath theme, have met Jasper Carrott a number of times and he is actually very sound and very funny.
I actually went to a wedding once and Bev Bevan , Jasper Carrot and Tony Iommi were there as guests.

There was a stage set up with a microphone and everything so everyone was getting excited thinking they were going to play a few songs , but the only one that did was Jasper Carrot who did a few folk songs !!!!

, Jasper Carrot

A few years ago I was at a charity golf event at a venue just east of Brum towards Coventry, and in the old sort of Manor House there was a huge licture of Jasper Carrot. We were stood by this picture after a few beers trying to figure out whether he was still alive or not, general consensus he wasn’t. A couple of minutes later he’s only risen from the dead and walked right by us with I assume what was his wife, which left us in stitches. He did look very old though, and not as healthy as how I remember him.

Another one to add to my list is Alan Mcnally opening a local summer fete, seemed a nice guy and aware that we still include him in a chant I can’t teach the kids. What stuck with me was his blonde girlfriend (or wife) who looked about 20 years younger.

Only tripped over Francis once, can't even really remember the circs, I just remember he was happy to give the time even though he was busy. Very polite, and seemed a thoroughly decent bloke.

With JF mentioning Tom Ross, and yes I've probably given him pelters on here over the years for his Blues/Villa comments lol, but as part of work experience as a lad, Daz took me to BRMB for a few hours. It was my station as a kid so very weird putting proper faces to folks I listened to daily - totally different feeling strangely from meeting those I already had a face for.

But Ross and Ian Crocker sort of accidentally adopted me and they were fantastic. Loads of banter over Villa, and they were obviously working on their next broadcasts, but I basically ended up with a crash course in analogue radio production, on top of them being funny, polite, fantastic and friendly.

I know that wasn't a plan by Daz and previously arranged, so it was totally on them two gents as he kept saying we had to go, and they kept coming up with new things to show me lol If memory serves right, Daz had to apologise to his boss that we were that late back, and I know we stayed later that night to ensure we cleared the in tray for the time we missed.

Ross and Crocker's crash course came in bloody handy a few years later when I actually did radio production to try something different to be fair.

Daft, that memory only just came back and I've only just linked it to the radio course, given so much was familiar but alien and wrong as by then it was moving in the digital direction.

Talk of Tom Ross , I did a live radio interview on BRMB back in the 80's with George Gavin and Tom Ross. I had to go to the studio's and was as nervous as you could be , but they were great and really nice people. They let me stay in the studio for the rest of the programme as well.

I also had to go to the Radio WM studios at Pebble Mill for an interview as well , but that was recorded so far less stressful.

Forgot I met Danny Welbeck and Leon Best in a club in Newcastle.

Leon was really sound and chatted to us. Welbeck was only a kid at the time, he was still at Man Utd but on loan at Preston who had being playing Newcastle that day.

I actually only just remembered this , I had the great misfortune to have an interaction with Cliff Richard in a shoe shop in Perth Australia , he was with his former priest “friend” and walked into the shop where Mrs T had been looking for a new pair despite taking 6 pairs with us. He was absolutely vile to everyone and I had to be restrained by my friend who suggested that it wouldn’t be a good look to thump Sir Cliff on my first day in Australia, later in our tour our friends in Brisbane recounted how he had visited a restaurant that one of their girls worked in and had been exactly the same.
Vile, supposed Christian man

I actually only just remembered this , I had the great misfortune to have an interaction with Cliff Richard in a shoe shop in Perth Australia , he was with his former priest “friend” and walked into the shop where Mrs T had been looking for a new pair despite taking 6 pairs with us. He was absolutely vile to everyone and I had to be restrained by my friend who suggested that it wouldn’t be a good look to thump Sir Cliff on my first day in Australia, later in our tour our friends in Brisbane recounted how he had visited a restaurant that one of their girls worked in and had been exactly the same.
Ha. Yes I remember you mentioning that before.

I've never met him , but I can't stand the bloke. There is something very , very creepy about him.

Pity you didn't thump him and break his jaw. Think of all those bloody awful Christmas singles we wouldn't have had to endure.

Forgot Stiliyan Petrov, very rude of me, a really nice fella. Got to know him through a mutual friend.

And Brian Travers, another really good guy, so full of life, and so interested in other people, as opposed to 'look at me I'm famous' Was lucky enough to go with him to Villa and a very nice curry.

Also did a poem about him, which he liked - high praise!

When I visited Barbados he had an estate there. The locals hated him and mirrored your comments. I didn't meet a single person that anything good to say about him. I remember Sue Barker's comment about him when asked about their dating history. She said something along the lines of that she didn't want to discuss it for very good reasons. Something definitely wasn't right there.

Me and dad were in the car park of Boldmere golf club having just finished playing. We then see the mighty Cyril Regis getting his clubs out of his car to go and play. I was only a teenager but dad dragged me over to speak to him.
Class act.