Cash | Vital Football

Cash

Let me correct it for you:

THE PROCESSING COMPANIES GET 0%
THE BANKS GET 0%
THE TAX MAN GETS 0%

I get the sentiment, but there’s a lot of false claims on those posters. For example:

- Car boot sales usually accept card payments as often do buskers and so do restaurants for tips.
- You can still buy in privacy… …that’s why people use crypto.
- My life is already dependent on a power source to use a computer for work and to power my microwave to heat my food. It will slightly more dependent on a power source of cash were to disappear totally, but not 100% dependent.
- There is a cost for handling cash. The risk of theft, the bank transaction costs when depositing your pennies at the bank, the shoe leather costs collecting, counting and walking to the bank.

We're a long way from being a '100% cash-less' or 'zero cash' society so I won't worry about it for a few years.

THE BANKS GET 0%
THE TAX MAN GETS 0%

I get the sentiment, but there’s a lot of false claims on those posters. For example:

- Car boot sales usually accept card payments as often do buskers and so do restaurants for tips.
- My life is already dependent on a power source to use a computer for work and to power my microwave to heat my food. It will slightly more dependent on a power source of cash were to disappear totally, but not 100% dependent.
- There is a cost for handling cash. The risk of theft, the bank transaction costs when depositing your pennies at the bank, the shoe leather costs collecting, counting and walking to the bank.
When there is no cash then your means of payment can be stopped at any time by non benign governments or banks.
In case of war or power failure there will be chaos.

Your every move can be monitored and then controlled.

It cannot be stopped short of a nuclear war.

The amount of people getting scammed by unscrupulous criminals is something the banks should be getting sorted sooner rather than later, I realise in a society where money can get robbed from our bank then when the people report it the banks are trying to say the best way is to educate the account holders this happened to a 96 year old whom l know .

THE BANKS GET 0%
THE TAX MAN GETS 0%

Personally, I think that the Tax man gets enough ... if not, then there are bigger fish to fry like off-shore banking, big corporations etc.
I don't know which Car boot sales you go to but I've never come across any normal folk accepting card payments & traders shouldn't be at car boots' imo.
I've also never ever seen a busker stop mid strum to accept a card payment ....! wtf
As for crypto that's just not on my horizon.
I think that we live on different planets .....

Personally, I think that the Tax man gets enough ... if not, then there are bigger fish to fry like off-shore banking, big corporations etc.
I don't know which Car boot sales you go to but I've never come across any normal folk accepting card payments & traders shouldn't be at car boots' imo.
I've also never ever seen a busker stop mid strum to accept a card payment ....! wtf
As for crypto that's just not on my horizon.
I think that we live on different planets .....

You seem to be arguing that a benefit of cash is that it facilitates ‘tax evasion’ because the tax man already gets more than enough.

Off the top of my head....

Do all your kids have bank accounts and bank cards from birth?
Otherwise, how do they get their pocket money?

Do school tuck shops accept card payments?

What about office collections, for leaving or charity? Put the hat around so everyone can divulge their credit card details on a scrap of paper?

You seem to be arguing that a benefit of cash is that it facilitates ‘tax evasion’ because the tax man already gets more than enough.
not particularly, it was just a reply to your post, wherein at the very beginning you made a point of this in capital letters as a "correction" .. obviously you are pro total control.

Got to have a card but I love a bit of cash and always think it can help you get a bit of a bargain. However I'm a fairly long way behind these millennials who just waft their smart watches at a terminal when buying their Iced Caramel Macchiatos

Last edited:
I use both but have little fear of cash disappearing. The idea that a malevolent government could not muck about with cash is absurd. They control the manufacture, supply and pretty much the value too and have all sorts of powers in reserve to control the use of it. You can store it under your mattress and you'll be ahead of the game for a few days in a crisis but the government will get what it wants.

We have a reserve power that trumps government, AI and pretty much anything else, full on mob riot and the breakdown of social control. It's a nuclear option of course and brings other potential horrors. In any case I'm not rioting, or even mildly protesting about the march to a cash free world.

A couple of more immediate real world problems. First the spread of ATM charges and the areas that lack any ATM at all, second the unbanked. I'd get up on my hind legs for those causes.

Last edited:

Got to have a card but I love a bit of cash and always think it can help you get a bit of a bargain. However I'm a farly long way behind these millennials who just waft their smart watches at a terminal when buying their Iced Caramel Macchiatos
The very fact that they can afford Iced Caramel Macchiatos or other such expensive concoctions during an economic crisis tells some sort of a story (not sure exactly what) lol.

For me the issue of tax evasion and whether or not the tax man already gets more than enough rather depends upon:
1. what kind of tax evasion are we talking about? And, 2. Who 's paying (or not paying) the tax?

If we talking about large scale tax evasion by wealthy people then I definitely don't think that the tax man is already getting more than enough from them and that those guilty of it should be severely punished, far more so than they currently are!

But if we're talking about somebody on a low wage either getting something a little cheap on the black market now and then or doing the odd cash-in-hand job once I a while then I don't feel that strongly about their 'crime' and, I'm sure, would often thoroughly sympathise with their tax evasion if I knew the full circumstances.

Many people not only pay their taxes but they pay them with pride. They pay them with pride because they believe the lie. If the lie was the truth then paying your taxes would indeed be something to be proud of. But it's not. It's a lie.

Some people realise it's a lie and resent paying their taxes but continue to pay them because they fear punishment or have no other choice.

Some people realise the lie, consider the taxman to be a thief and take opportunities to avoid paying tax. Those who do that run the risk of getting caught and punished. Funny (not actually funny) thing is, when the wealthy get caught evading huge sums of money, they don't get severely punished, but when the poor get caught fiddling a small amount, they get fucked.

Of course, if the lie was the truth then everybody should most definitely pay and all of those, each and every one, who didn't should be criticised. But it' IS a lie. The taxman IS a thief - a thief who promises much but delivers little (just have a little think about the cuts and the closures and the failing state of so many of our public services, utilities and infrastructure...) We should look after each other, not look after the thief, or believe the thief when he tells us he'll look after us.

The thief and the wealthy, btw, they're really well connected, you know, like really good mates or partners...

Edit: To preempt the almost inevitable comments from predictable posters I will admit now that I am pretty much always amongst the second group of people I describe. Occasionally I'm one of the other kind.

Last edited:
Off the top of my head....

Do school tuck shops accept card payments?

What about office collections, for leaving or charity? Put the hat around so everyone can divulge their credit card details on a scrap of paper?
On the school thing, tuck shops don’t exist in the 3 schools that I have immediate experience with.
In fact, all sponsor money, non uniform money, lunch payments, school trips, Christmas shopping, everything. You name it, it gets paid online. So there!

And most charities prefer standing orders too. That’s so after 3 months they send start sending begging letters saying “thanks very much for you r tenner a week. But if you upped it to a score we could do so much more good with it”

Again, first hand experience I’m afraid.

Cash would be less annoying if we didn't have coins. When you go abroad and they're a cash society but it's all notes then it's a vast improvement.

I generally carry no cash in the UK

Nah!
From the cashier in the bank.
I have used an ATM so I’m not a Luddite 😉
That just seems like extra effort with no benefit! Paying with a card is so easy, I find having to pay cash (primarily in foreign owned takeaways) a pain, especially if there isn't a nearby cash point

You don't even need to use a card, you can link them all to your phone! It really is amazing how easy it is to do things nowadays.