Cardwell | Page 2 | Vital Football

Cardwell

I wonder if interest in Caldwell cooled when we landed Andrews .Unless Hawkins is out of contract I cannot see us chasing another similar size forward .And I can't see Hawkins being keen to move on if he is under contract at Gillingham.

Harsh way to describe a player who scored a hat trick.
Since my son was born I'm definitely prone to a nap, but I'm fairly sure I would've noticed him scoring a hat-trick....unless there's an 'in' joke that I'm missing?

Since my son was born I'm definitely prone to a nap, but I'm fairly sure I would've noticed him scoring a hat-trick....unless there's an 'in' joke that I'm missing?
I was at Fylde v Gateshead last evening and was particularly interested to see how young loanee Dajaune Brown would perform. I`m sure you`ll know of him, turned 18 last October, under contract to Derby County, loaned to Gateshead

Brown has terrific pace, plus power and poise - absolutely belies his age in that context. Has the look and acceleration of a power athlete sprinter. Reminds me of Brandon Thomas-Asante of WBA, but Dajaune is a bit big bigger. Impressive.

Have you seen him play ? I imagine he`ll be on loan at an EFL club next season ?

I was at Fylde v Gateshead last evening and was particularly interested to see how young loanee Dajaune Brown would perform. I`m sure you`ll know of him, turned 18 last October, under contract to Derby County, loaned to Gateshead

Brown has terrific pace, plus power and poise - absolutely belies his age in that context. Has the look and acceleration of a power athlete sprinter. Reminds me of Brandon Thomas-Asante of WBA, but Dajaune is a bit big bigger. Impressive.

Have you seen him play ? I imagine he`ll be on loan at an EFL club next season ?
I'm actually (assuming he's picked) going to be seeing him tomorrow for Gatesheads trip to Maidenhead. He looks a very good prospect from the footage I've seen, looking forward to a clearer view from the stands tomorrow!

Natural step would be a move into the league, although I think Derby would be inclined to give him some first team games if they don't go up.

I'm actually (assuming he's picked) going to be seeing him tomorrow for Gatesheads trip to Maidenhead. He looks a very good prospect from the footage I've seen, looking forward to a clearer view from the stands tomorrow!

Natural step would be a move into the league, although I think Derby would be inclined to give him some first team games if they don't go up.
Good stuff. Enjoy the game, I suspect he`ll be an interesting subject.

Good stuff. Enjoy the game, I suspect he`ll be an interesting subject.

Lancs, I haven't seen Fylde in ages - not since Gills were there in the Cup I think - haven't they got some notable young players in their squad now, like Danny Ormerod? I assume he's related to Brett somehow - any insight?!

Lancs, I haven't seen Fylde in ages - not since Gills were there in the Cup I think - haven't they got some notable young players in their squad now, like Danny Ormerod? I assume he's related to Brett somehow - any insight?!
Danny, not related to Brett Ormerod, played v Gateshead last night and led the Fylde line well on a pretty lumpy, sodden pitch. Made the second goal. He`s only just 18 (in January 2024) himself and when they play with two up front Fylde have a twin front line consisting of Ormerod and 17 yr old Joe Westley. Fylde`s manager, Chris Beech is brave when it comes to playing youngsters and Fylde`s form turned around from relegation bound probables to neat, free flowing football (and safety) once Beech played 3 or 4 youngsters on a regular basis. They also have Taelor O`Kane, another quality lad who`ll make Fylde a bob or two.

I`ll be there again tomorrow when Southend United are the visitors.

Watched Cardwell again yesterday (at Fylde). He scored a goal but I wouldn`t be disappointed if we didn`t sign him - even as a third choice attacker.

Watched Cardwell again yesterday (at Fylde). He scored a goal but I wouldn`t be disappointed if we didn`t sign him - even as a third choice attacker.
That's my feeling on him as well to be honest, and I really don't think he's as good as what we've got, let alone better.

Didn't see much of Dajaune Brown yesterday, he came on as a late sub as Gateshead blew a 1-0 lead to lose 2-1 at Maidenhead. He had one good turn of pace and a snapshot from a tight angle but that was about it. Would need to see him again.

It really depends on whether we keep the Hawk, I would think.

This season has showed how we need a back up physical target man to cover injuries, having gone without one for the first half of the season, and then Andrews having injury issues.

I not sure whether Cardwell would fit that description though.

FWIW, I have only seen Cardwell once - so this is far from complete of an assessment - but to me, he's big but that's it.
He didn't utilise his size at all, didn't press aggressively or run in behind. He held the ball up ok, but didn't win as many 50:50 headers as she probably should have given he's 6'3'. If he spent as much time worrying about bullying his marker as he did stroking his hair back, he might have something.

If we're after an aerial presence, I'd retain Hawkins 100% over Cardwell.

In fact, I saw nothing in Southend that improved our first team. I know people like Bridge but to me, yes, he's got some good technical ability but he's weak on/off the ball and lacks pace.

Wothout naming names Joe have you seen anyonenin the natiinal league who would walk into our first 11 and improve us? And if so any specific positions

Wothout naming names Joe have you seen anyonenin the natiinal league who would walk into our first 11 and improve us? And if so any specific positions
Yes certainly in terms of improving the squad and certain aspects of the starting 11, but I'm not sure there are too many players in the NL who would be walking into our first XI as easy as that. Plenty that would improve us and replace some of the weaker members of the squad though certainly.

In terms of position - I don't think any area of the starting XI is nailed down for next season so everywhere is up for grabs, bar perhaps centre back if Masterson was to stay. We'd still need another in the squad regardless.

Yes certainly in terms of improving the squad and certain aspects of the starting 11, but I'm not sure there are too many players in the NL who would be walking into our first XI as easy as that. Plenty that would improve us and replace some of the weaker members of the squad though certainly.

In terms of position - I don't think any area of the starting XI is nailed down for next season so everywhere is up for grabs, bar perhaps centre back if Masterson was to stay. We'd still need another in the squad regardless.

And your thoughts on Cardwell v Andrews Joe? Much difference between them?

And your thoughts on Cardwell v Andrews Joe? Much difference between them?
I'd have Andrews over Cardwell any day - does the things Cardwell does well, but better. Cardwell v Hawkins is possibly more up for debate as a back up I suppose, but as Cardwell is more of a goalscorer than a link man it's possibly not a fair comparison, but he's considerably more mobile than the Hawk.

I did point out a while ago that there appears to be a profile for forwards doing well in the National League this season and that is for physical, 6-yard box finishers to be well in the goals. For me that's a direct result of the sway towards wanting more technical players defensively to play out from the back, and as a result the big number 9s are having a field day. Cardwell is well amongst that group, but there are probably between 6 and 10 forwards who are all very similar in that league this season - I wonder if Cardwell is the link purely because Southend are reasonably close?

I'd have Andrews over Cardwell any day - does the things Cardwell does well, but better. Cardwell v Hawkins is possibly more up for debate as a back up I suppose, but as Cardwell is more of a goalscorer than a link man it's possibly not a fair comparison, but he's considerably more mobile than the Hawk.

I did point out a while ago that there appears to be a profile for forwards doing well in the National League this season and that is for physical, 6-yard box finishers to be well in the goals. For me that's a direct result of the sway towards wanting more technical players defensively to play out from the back, and as a result the big number 9s are having a field day. Cardwell is well amongst that group, but there are probably between 6 and 10 forwards who are all very similar in that league this season - I wonder if Cardwell is the link purely because Southend are reasonably close?

Thanks Joe. Maybe we can give our recruiters a pat on the back for this one.

I thought we were rumoured to be looking at Cardwell last summer. Maybe we’ve got a bargain with Andrews if he’s better. There are suggestions that multiple L1 clubs are keeping tabs on Cardwell. Lends truth to KJ’s line that we picked up Andrews early while we could.