Captain for the new season | Vital Football

Captain for the new season

kettners

Vital Squad Member
Who would posters prefer as Captain for next season - that's taking for granted we have a similar squad plus a few additons ?
personally for me it would be Zakuini ? given his ever presence and no nonsense and unruffled approach ??

As the defacto captain in the past few games he would appear the obvious choice. I would have chosen Ehmer as he performed that role a few times before.

Other than that there's no obvious choices really. Had players like Bingham and Wagstaff not had so many injuries they could have perhaps competed for the title.

Yep Zak for me. He's captain of his country, has captained other sides too I think and is clearly a leader. He's ever present and rarely has a poor game so leads by example too.

Ehmer was tried and didn't do the best job. He wasn't very vocal - seemed to lack real leadership qualities for me.

Martin - Lovell obviously likes him as Captain so he might get the nod if he's still here but I think there's better candidates.

I guess without knowing the dynamic of the dressing room and what's needed there, as well as what leadership qualities Martin or other players bring to the side behind closed doors it's hard for us on the outside to know exactly what leadership is needed, or who should be captain.

Ehmer showed few leadership qualities on the pitch. Martin has shown them but I wouldn't want him to continue as captain with his disciplinary record - it's the petulance which is the problem. So that leaves us with Zakuani who is a reasonable candidate in my opinion.

Who has the armband is not terribly important as it is usually a ceremonial position anyway who decided heads or tails and does public interviews. What is more important is having several leaders on the pitch. The majority of Pulis's team would be captain material everywhere else but for a long time our club captains have been best of a bad bunch who have got the band as they have been at the club for a long time or is one of the few players expected to start every match if fit. Whoever gets the armband isn't going to start shouting any more orders to the rest than what they do now.

Who has the armband is not terribly important as it is usually a ceremonial position anyway who decided heads or tails and does public interviews. What is more important is having several leaders on the pitch. The majority of Pulis's team would be captain material everywhere else but for a long time our club captains have been best of a bad bunch who have got the band as they have been at the club for a long time or is one of the few players expected to start every match if fit. Whoever gets the armband isn't going to start shouting any more orders to the rest than what they do now.

Last great Gills Captain I remember was Adam Barrett.

Difficult to pick a captain without knowing who's leaving, staying orwill be arriving but out of the current squad think Zakuani would be my choice.

Martin for me has been petulant at times this season and has missed 7 games through stupid suspensions, not a good example of a captain IMO.

Zakuani is the next obvious one in line but how many games will he miss through international games next season and SL has stated if you come out the team you won't get your place back if the player replacing you performs.

Ehmer did ok as a captain, but nothing outstanding.

Byrne was captain at Newport I think.

Don't think there are any outstanding captains currently within our squad and agree with Rob to a certain extent, ideally you want seven or eight potential captains in your team but I don't think modern players have the character of say 15-20 years ago.

As Captainblue says an issue for Zak is going to be internationals. DRC have 5 African Nations Cup qualifiers during next season which probably means he will miss about 8-10 games as well as any friendlies he's called up for.

Missing lots of games because of internationals was the reason Northampton (JED) gave for releasing him. At least the Cup of Nations has been moved to June now so he won't be away for a whole month. Btw he's been on the bench for recent games so presumably not captain any more

Antigua have qualifiers for Concacaf trophy next season too which probably means we'll lose Josh for some chunks of time too

I am not that convinced that Zakuani will be here next season. I imagine we will try and do something on the cheap and he will get an offer somewhere else. Two years at Peterborough, a year at Northampton and then a year here. I wonder if a return to Peterborough might be an option. They will certainly have a bigger budget than us. He reminds me of Akinfenwa a bit in the keep moving about contract to contract. We'll see. Hope he stays but suspect not.

Given we don't know Lovell's retained list let alone his targets there is no telling who will wear the armband next season .Very little point in trying to pick one when we don't know who is available .