Can you still get.... | Vital Football

Can you still get....

Surreygill

Vital Newbie
...Crackling in the fish shops in Gillingham?

(That's what we called it in the sixties anyway)

Can't find a chippie who will give me any here.

(Alright it should be a n/g!) :56:

Very rarely at the chippies i know in essex. Im assuming you're referring to what was called scraps in my day. No chippy i know of do it these days which is a big shame. I used to love scraps. Remember being looked at as if i was mad a few years ago when i asked for them. I think the foreign owners of chippies are less likely to know what they are.

Wow. There's a guy apparently used to have a chippy in UK, now set up his shop over here in Brisbane. Called Chumley Warners. And they do lovely crackling / scraps. And doesn't charge for it either. Takes me back to when I were't young lad.

They also do chips the good old British way, not like bl**dy fries.

Rest of Australia turns their nose up, but us ex-pats know a good chippy when we see one. :2:

Living in Strood in the late 60's we used to go to John Read''s (or Reid's) fish and chip shop for free bags of crackling. You could then pop a couple of doors down to the 'Mascot' where they gave away any stale cakes. To complete the forage we took our mums home any free limp vegatables that Stickings the greengrocer where chucking out. Happy freebie days!

Stale bread and dripping .What would the kids of today think of some of the stuff we would call food back in the sixties .

chris who - 29/3/2018 09:21

"Stale bread and dripping" lol, that made me laugh - can you imagine the PC brigade if today's kids turned up to school with that in their lunch boxes - probably a lot healthier than the processed junk they eat now. Like Vambo and Chris some of us have memories of growing up as kids in the 1960s - my lasting memory is of vile (but healthy) school dinners. I can still vividly recall the disgusting stench of that second hand cabbage being cooked in the school kitchen whilst we were playing footy in the playground. Happy days indeed :2:

This thread reminded me of the school diners including Semolina and Tapiocca puddings, the latter reminded me of the frog spawn out in the pond.
Bread and dripping just loved it and we were very fortunate to have food parcels with tinned fruit sent by relatives in Australia.
By God, it was grim up North :10:

Was in a traditional chip shop in Guiseley after the Bradford game, scraps available and free

School dinners - I still have nightmares about the boiled white fish served with boiled potatoes and plum tomatoes - disgusting! The Irish stew was ok though.
As for crackling, you couldn't beat Jarvis's chip shop (now Crispins) in Twydall.

Station Road chip shop below the level crossing was a regular stop off heading back from the rec to Childscroft on the off chance they had some crackling. Very hit and miss, especially with three or four of us showing up and, of course, once Thatcher got in, they started charging, and once Blair got in, Health and Safety made it illegal.