Can we make the play offs? | Page 6 | Vital Football

Can we make the play offs?

Mounting injuries it was already unlikely not now even more so. Once we are safe we should really just play youth get them blooded then get everyone fit for pre season
I agree that injuries are likely to sabotage any realistic chance we have of reaching the play offs. With eleven games to go any further injuries to our key players, I would class Bishop, Hackett House and Erhahon as part if not all of these, would surely make it a bridge too far.

Mounting injuries it was already unlikely not now even more so. Once we are safe we should really just play youth get them blooded then get everyone fit for pre season
Truly bizarre opinion. Even if it was beneficial to us, which it isn't, it questions the entire integrity of the league.

If we can win today its still on but draw or lose and that will be about it.
So today could be a defining moment.
However I think we can safely say that if we don't make the playoffs, next season will be our 6th on the trot in League one. Before a certain Mr Nates turned up non of us in our wildest dreams could have thought that would happen.

I am sure Bolton, Derby and the rest would be delighted to see us field our U18 side against Portsmouth on the final day; there could be an immense fine from the EFL for that too. And the 20-0 home defeat would probably ruin their careers in terms of the crushing embarrassment, shattered confidence and general depression that would follow.

In any case, we have to register a squad list with the EFL which can only be changed by application.

The EFL rules speak of the requirement for players to have 'technical, tactical, physical and psychological skills at a suitable level'.

Just as a reminder, our youths lost 3-1 at home to Bradford U18 the other day. Does anyone really think they are remotely ready for League One?

I am sure Bolton, Derby and the rest would be delighted to see us field our U18 side against Portsmouth on the final day; there could be an immense fine from the EFL for that too. And the 20-0 home defeat would probably ruin their careers in terms of the crushing embarrassment, shattered confidence and general depression that would follow.

Just as a reminder, our youths lost 3-1 at home to Bradford U18 the other day. Does anyone really think they are remotely ready for League One?
I don't believe anyone has suggested we play the full U18 team nor even a substantial number per match. Portsmouth will be probably be champions before the match anyway . Should we choose to 'blood' players with a short spell at the end of matches that's an entirely different scenario.

In any case, we have to register a squad list with the EFL which can only be changed by application.

The EFL rules speak of the requirement for players to have 'technical, tactical, physical and psychological skills at a suitable level'.

General depression. I am not sure Lincoln playing fringe and some youth players when the season is over for us would cause a Wall Street crash!

The only player we should be ‘blooding’ is Montsma back from injury if at all possible. All positions should be earned rather than given.

There are also ST sales to think about, finish the home games on a decent run and fans will more likely feel confident of a decent stab at the play offs next season (if it’s a step too far this one)

It’s not the U18s that should or could be on our bench as the season winds down , it’s the prospects that are now out on loan. Of course with those players we can’t recall them and it is probably wrong to recall them. But with our injury status I wouldn’t have minded having Gallagher and Ahui on our bench on Saturday instead of the two youth players.

It’s the old catch 22 though - playing games out on loan at a much lower level. Or giving them 15 minutes from the bench at the end of games to see if they have the basic attributes to cope at the pro level.

From which do you learn more about a young player. It’s so hard to say.

It’s not the U18s that should or could be on our bench as the season winds down , it’s the prospects that are now out on loan. Of course with those players we can’t recall them and it is probably wrong to recall them. But with our injury status I wouldn’t have minded having Gallagher and Ahui on our bench on Saturday instead of the two youth players.

It’s the old catch 22 though - playing games out on loan at a much lower level. Or giving them 15 minutes from the bench at the end of games to see if they have the basic attributes to cope at the pro level.

From which do you learn more about a young player. It’s so hard to say.

Because we don't have a reserve team the only chance the likes of Gallagher and Ahui have of regular competitive games are loans. Both are illegible for the U18 team because of age. They'll learn nothing just training and sat in the stands bar the very odd occasion so it's really a no brainer. Yes that means injuries can leave you short but for a long term development plan it's the only way to go

23 first team players at the club currently, 16 available yesterday, Hamilton, Monstma and Walker won't play this season, the last two maybe never again.
Jackson isn't far off, gawd knows with the others.

Moylan had an excellent match yesterday I thought so if he can show consistency the injury situation cloud might have a silver lining.