Campbell on loan again | Vital Football

Campbell on loan again

AMac

Vital Squad Member
Replied to Toony's headline article.

Dunno if it was too critical of the ginger but I question whether he'll make it at this club/level ?

I'm pretty sure someone on this board wrote about meeting him (if thats the right word) at the Stade du Merde in the players bar without being overly impressed by the littluns attitude ?

Whereas young Rolando says he hasnt done anything yet and needs to keep his feet firmly on the ground despite putting in two impressive displays and a decent first goal.

Simple fact seems to be in football that in most cases, if you're premiership class then you're playing at a decent level by 18 or 19 - people like Barkley, Wiltshire, Ramsey, Oxlaide C etc. They seem to have the capacity to grab a game by the balls or create magic. Most importantly they seem to be able to seize or create opportunities - Aarons is the only young'un I've seen do that for years though I guess Timi deserves a nod. Campbell's had limited chances but top class players seem to make it count and find a way to be indispensable. For me, a young premiership or top class player would have torn it up in Scotland or the lower leagues and in this case they seem to be really giving Campbell the chance to stand out- if he can't do it there he's obviously not up to it. Sameobi is championship class and I think they realise that now.

Rooney was 16 when he got his first Premiership goal yet IMO Campbell seems destined to go the way of all those others Airey, JJ, Maddison, Adjei etc etc

We are shite at developing quality young players. Carroll plus Aarons is about all we've got to show for ten years, or more, of paying people who arent good enough to coach the fucking life out of youngsters,

Unfortunately for Campbell he's the sort of player who's not in vogue with the current trends in English football . From the little I've seen he's got a decent first touch , ok movement and positioning all key attributes for a striker but unfortunately he's appeared almost 10-15 yrs too late.

The game now is all 4-3-3 or 4-5-1 and Campbell needs to play off another striker, he doesn't appear to have the ability to play the old number 10 role behind a striker and he's certainly not great on the flanks. . If it was the days of Shearer or even Sibierski we might have seen Campbell get more of a run in a 4-4-2 and he may well have proven to be a top level goalscorer like a Defoe or a Tony Cottee . He needs to try to adapt his game or drop down and come again .

I not think they want to let him go though keggy, seems a move to get someone in a place where they're banging in goals for fun, 442 does seem to be the norm lower down and I agree with what you've said.

I think we make a bit too much of players not being able to fit into a system. A good player can adapt to any situation just about. We'll never know how Campbell will progress until we give players like him, and Armstrong, Bigi etc extended runs in the first team. There were opportunities to do this at the back end of last season, when we had nothing to play for. To my mind it would serve the club better to have those players here and playing for us. Play the younger kids in the league cup, with the incentive for them that they won't be elbowed aside if we go on a run. Make it their competition. Campbell was tearing it up in the reserves, and never seemed to get a chance at it. Opportunities missed, which is typical of the unprofessional way the club is run. On the cheap, with shit coaches.

One of the most frustrating things about Newcastle United at the moment is that I just have no faith in the management or staff . If it were Robson or Keegan or even bloody Roeder you could trust that they didn't give the lad a chance because he didn't look the part , wasn't training well or some other genuine reason . With this mob half the time it's sheer ineptitude the other half it's a decision based solely on the bottom line .

The young player who really impressed me when he first broke into the side was Bigi. He looked a born leader, was bossing more senior players, good in the tackle , played the ball sensibly those Europa games looked a canny player. That cup game against Brighton he was the only player who looked like he gave a shit . The lad was barely used last season can't see a reason why ?

Bigi looked excellent, I agree.

We expect players like Bigi. ben Arfa, vukic, Campbell to be world beaters straight away. Even whent hey do it, in the case of ben Arfa they are looking for a reason to drop them. Meanwhile the likes of Taylor and Shola are here for years doing fuck all.

I dont see Campbell, Armstrong, Vuckic and Bigi and some others being good enough. Ok they have had limited opportunities but you have to grab your chance when presented, Aarons has. I hope Gilliead does.
There have been numerous youngsters over the years who promised a lot, Chopra, Sammy, etc and where have they ended up, nowhere, normally minor league so we have barely missed out.
The coaching is crap all the way through, how many decent defenders coming through, barely any.
Will any of the young keepers make it, will be interesting to see.

Bigi was just a kid. You can't expect any player in that position to boss a game at his age.

He needs game time though, and fair enough drop him for a while if he's not doing it, but he was doing it. He didn't look out of place at all. I'd swap him for Tiote for a good run.

Just look at the staff and manager though. The whole set up is about arse licking and toeing the line. Nobody will question what's done. That goes for coaching staff against Pardews decisions, and Pardews against Ashley's trading decisions. Remember what happened the one time he opened his mouth?

It will all unravel in time.