Cambridge Football Statue | Vital Football

Cambridge Football Statue

Croozey

Vital 1st Team Regular
Unfortunately I am going to be unable to get to the game today, due to a prior engagement with a family get-together on Mrs Croozey's side of the family. I'll be over in Cambridge where i've already sussed out a pub that will be showing the game. Pub called the Grain Store. This pub is next to a park known as Parkers Piece.

This large square shaped piece of land is famous for where the rules of football were first written. Today there is going to be an unveiling of a statue to commemorate it.

In 1848 the Cambridge rules were first written here. This was at a time when there were many different variations of football played around the country.

It was in 1863 that the main body of the Cambridge Rules were adopted to make up what were from then on known as Association Football Rules.

It was said at the time-

"The Cambridge Rules appear to be the most desirable for the Association to adopt, it allows no hacking, tripping or handling the ball". The committee said, it would be the triumph of 'skill over force'.

The first game to be played to these rules was in 1863 on Parker's Piece.

When I get there I will take a photo and post it on this thread, so you can see it.

Here we go. The new football association rules statue in cambridge. The grassland at the back is where the first ever game under association football took place.

yes there is a garden show in the pipeline, in June. Luckily it doesn't clash with an England group game in the World cup or I wouldn't be going.

wow, i actually did it. Here we are then, The football statue to commemorate the Association Rules and first ever game played on the grassy park area behind it. Ta-daaaaaaah !!

Attachments

• IMG_1182.jpg
    IMG_1182.jpg
    952.8 KB · Views: 33
wow, i actually did it. Here we are then, The football statue to commemorate the Association Rules and first ever game played on the grassy park area behind it. Ta-daaaaaaah !!
The local paper has a photo of the side showing english text. Wonder what other languages were chosen and why eg relevance to the development of the game, world usage as opposed to PC

This is the side with the English writing. It has the 1848 rules of the game, listed 1 to 10. You might be able to read it if you blow the image up.

Attachments

• IMG_1179.jpg
    IMG_1179.jpg
    956.5 KB · Views: 25