Cambridge - Educated guess...... | Page 3 | Vital Football

Cambridge - Educated guess......

We have been very poor, there looks to be no interest.

Problem with a small squad there is no real competition for places. The manager doesn't help with his prematch I dont care about this tournament comments.

Its been poor tonight.

Playing like a Sunday morning pub team now. Should be 5 0 down.

I know this competition isn't important but this lot should be doing better.

Problem with a small squad there is no real competition for places. The manager doesn't help with his prematch I dont care about this tournament comments.

Its been poor tonight.

I don’t think SE will be happy, what he says publicly and what he says prior to kick off are totally different

A shame he couldn’t have included some of the U23 squad to make up the numbers on the bench. I understand they’ve been isolating, presumably due to a Covid case, so couldn’t be involved, but it’s nights like this where you can see whether they may be up to it or not, but we still used the same group of players on the whole.

The worrying thing for me is that we have only really removed Ogilvie from the back line but have defended abysmally. Cambridge really could have won by 4 or 5.

Yes, but looks as if Bonham has been teaching him how not to kick.
:-)

I was thinking the same. Haha.

Walsh is ‘bigged up’ a lot by some in the game but he hasn’t done too well in the games I’ve seen. Kicking awful tonight; and against Ipswich he made that schoolboy error with a back pass.

That was pretty grim.

On the night Cambridge were easily the Papa Johns whilst for Gills, it was a bad case of the Sloppy Giuseppes !

Very poor and worryingly, after an average at best performance v Swindon, young Jack Tucker was well off his game tonight. Willock was invisible and it`s difficult to name a single Gills player that had a good game.

No appetite for the contest tonight from Gills who need to get on the coach and, like Good Fellows, put that mozzarella of a performance behind them with a game of dominos on the way home.

I was thinking the same. Haha.

Walsh is ‘bigged up’ a lot by some in the game but he hasn’t done too well in the games I’ve seen. Kicking awful tonight; and against Ipswich he made that schoolboy error with a back pass.

And what the fuck was he doing at the end when the guy was one on one with him and he seemed to decide the best idea was to back off, rather than close down, and allow the guy to chip him? Thankfully, Cambridge's finishes was pony all game and Drysdale amazingly did something good and cleared it off the line.

Sorry to say this, but that was an absolute embarassment tonight. We were completely outplayed by a rank average League Two side. In the second half, we were not in it at all at any stage - never looked like scoring and barely got any where near their goal and could have shipped half a dozen easy, were Cambridge not so useless. And before anyone says that it was kids or a second string team - yes, we made some changes as you'd rightly expect us to do as we don't want key league players injured, but we had enough experienced and good players out there (and a number of fringe players who should have been looking to stake a claim) to easily beat a League Two side not pulling up any trees.

Walsh didn't enhance his claim to a first team start if Bonham's injured (we're probably go the emergency loan route again if that happens), the weeble, McDonald, again was useless, Akinde after a recent excellent run which has rightly made him a starter basically said to SE "please don't start me next game", Jackson and Tucker were car crashed, who would instantly be dropped had we more options. This game was an opportunity for many to stake a claim and they didn't - a potental Wembley trip isn't to be sniffed at either, but we're miles from that, so in a way, it's good that we're out of this tournament early, so we can concentrate on the league with out smal squad.

Our novel tactic of not stringing more than 3 passes together before launching the ball in the general direction of "over there" does make us fairly easy to play against.

If they are picking which games for which to be "up," then that is not good at all. Very disappointing.

Interesting comments from BFSE. From KoL:
Evans was asked who did impress him, and he said: “MacDonald was courageous all night, he tried to get on the ball, I don’t think it was Trae Coyle’s type of night but he never stopped working. The service to John Akinde was poor, it could have been anyone up there (in attack).
“Drysdale had a go but Tucker beside him was poor. Jackson got up and down the pitch but other than that I am not looking at too many shining lights.”

Don't think they'll be any of last night's team having the bollocks over the next few weeks to go and knock of SE door and ask "why am I not playing gaffer".

That's the worrying thing IMO, it was an opportunity for players to impress and very few of them looked interested let alone grab the opportunity to give SE a difficult decision for Saturday. Yes we've got a young squad and we will get inconsistent performances, but the players have to realise that performances like last night from the 'fringe' players probably move them closer to the exit door than the first team.

Don't think they'll be any of last night's team having the bollocks over the next few weeks to go and knock of SE door and ask "why am I not playing gaffer".

That's the worrying thing IMO, it was an opportunity for players to impress and very few of them looked interested let alone grab the opportunity to give SE a difficult decision for Saturday. Yes we've got a young squad and we will get inconsistent performances, but the players have to realise that performances like last night from the 'fringe' players probably move them closer to the exit door than the first team.

If anything, it was more a case of those now established first teamers - Akinde, Jackson, Tucker etc. - making SE think that those players aren't so established and others may have to come in on Saturday (the only problem is, there's not much to come in!)