Callum Reilly close to signing . | Vital Football

Callum Reilly close to signing .

Love the way they just drop in the line about Reilly signing.

The revealing part of the article is this:

‘I don't believe there is an attacking midfield player and a defensive midfield player. If you play midfield then the rotation should occur with the three players that you have’

‘Three’ players would suggest we are working towards using either a 3-5-2 or 4-3-3 / 4-5-1 system.

Personally I think Lovell might hold fire on getting in a extra forward .Leave the money for when preseason really unfolds .See how things fit together before looking to spend what remains of the budget .Pure guess work but it gives everyone a real chance .
The question up top is do we need another big centre forward ? Or will the midfield provide a far better service ? A fox in the box could be the right move .

Eeeeves, parker, list, nash, mbo, wikinson

The worry with that is that only two really scored last season. We know Eaves and Parker can score goals but list, nash and mbo are not proven at league one level. Yes list scored 2 in 2 at the end of the season but hadn't looked likley for the two years before. Whether those goals will ignite his career we simply don't know.

Wilkinson played a lot more minutes but doesn't look consistent, now a better midfield playing to his strengths (ball at feet) might help him.

Bottom line is if we want to challenge then either one of those needs to come good and score 10+ OR we need to sign someone. Its a bit of a gamble having just Parker and Eaves as proven scorers especially if one or both lost form or got injured.

I'd like to see us get a young, hungry, pacey CF on loan from a London club. We should take advantage of being commutable to London.

The worry with that is that only two really scored last season. We know Eaves and Parker can score goals but list, nash and mbo are not proven at league one level.

Is Eaves really proven?

He was prolific between late October and the beginning of February but was generally indifferent the rest of the time. The record for the start and end of the season only looks semi respectable because he happened to score a hattrick at the start and end. When I checked I was shocked to see he had scored a hattrick against Southend!

No doubt he is our best striker but the way his goals started to dry up at the end makes me want Eaves to prove he wasn't doing a Josh Wright.

The worry with that is that only two really scored last season. We know Eaves and Parker can score goals but list, nash and mbo are not proven at league one level. Yes list scored 2 in 2 at the end of the season but hadn't looked likley for the two years before. Whether those goals will ignite his career we simply don't know.

Wilkinson played a lot more minutes but doesn't look consistent, now a better midfield playing to his strengths (ball at feet) might help him.

Bottom line is if we want to challenge then either one of those needs to come good and score 10+ OR we need to sign someone. Its a bit of a gamble having just Parker and Eaves as proven scorers especially if one or both lost form or got injured.

I'd like to see us get a young, hungry, pacey CF on loan from a London club. We should take advantage of being commutable to London.

Yes, I agree 100%.
We have Eaves and Parker, then a number of others who make up the numbers, but haven’t done it often enough when called upon.

Last season Lovell spoke about his frustration of how our strikers don’t attack the crosses in the box and how this coming season would be different, so I assumed he would be signing one or two strikers who can play how he wants. Instead, he has signed a load of midfielders, so maybe he’s looking for more goals to come from that area instead?

Eaves contributes far more than goals but I don’t think they particularly dried up towards the end. Remember his playing time went down a lot towards the end.

The problem Mark with getting a kid from the Prem is he’s exactly what you’re worrying about with the others - young and eager but unproven. Going by the trail of your post o thought you were going to say we need to bring in someone who scored x amount of goals this season.

For the second part of the season when we started going off the boil, even away from home, Wilkinson was the preferred striker from time to time and the gaols totally dried up apart from the purple patch at Portsmouth. Not only that, our midfield started to regress to the point that Eaves was getting little or no service let alone crosses to attack.

A striker that scores a lot goals will not come unless we have a major budget for him .Another option to go score far more from midfield as has been said .Bringing in another left sided player is needed even if we get Reilly .Once all the holes are filled then Lovell can look at what he can afford if it is no better than anything he has . He maybe forced to try the loan market if and when required .

Its unlikely we have a budget to sign any proven goalscorer at this level. However some kid who is well thought of at Championship or even Premier league club should have something about them.

Its a gamble but we don't have the budget to sign the finished article.

I would be concerned if we go into the season with the current strikers.

Pissed off with this summer as we have hardly anything to moan about.

Manager - most seem happy with him
released/resigned - done early and the players fans mostly wanted gone, well they have gone. Players most wanted resigned have been, well resigned.
Transfers - good young players signed plus Reilly and its nearly july 1st.
Squad - well it looks good to me with emphasis on attack and supplying the forwards and i want to see the young forwards given a go unless we can get a proven goalscorer in.

Fff - give me something to complain about lol.

Last edited: