Callum Hendry | Page 3 | Vital Football

Callum Hendry

It's undeniable that, despite the fabulous set of results so far, we have been struggling in league games to create/take chances.

We've seen virtually nothing of Bonne, Nadesan looks good, Nicholls is doing his best as provider but I'm amazed at how much hoofball we are still playing. Is this a dress rehearsal for the return of Hawkins ? Personally I hope not - I think when he plays we are one-dimensional.

We now have enough decent midfielders not to be bypassing them out of defence all the time and we should allow our strikers a reasonable chance to show what they can do.

I'm amazed at how much hoofball we are still playing.

Really?

I’ll admit I haven’t seen every minute of every game. But from the games I’ve seen, and the reports from others we have played a lot, lot less “hoof” than last season.

1st half v Stockport we played some good passing stuff. 2nd half v Accy and pretty much all the Saints game (from reports).

Whenever a team is under the cosh, like periods v Stockport and Sutton, players are going to go safety first and “get rid”. And at times, the long ball is a good option. So long as it’s a long pass and not a straight hoof to no one, which it pretty much has been.

We are still a L2 side and there will be direct football from most teams. We aren’t Barca. But I think we need to move on and realise at times we are playing some decent stuff for the level.

A manager with an eye on promotion isn`t going to turn down an extra player - provided he`s at least as good as those he joins. Still need a winger and wouldn`t be at all disappointed if we sign another striker. Worth considering that there`s still some uncertainty around Hawks`s injury status.

I actually think we may be lacking what's referred to as a number '8' I think you call in it todays game! Not a defensive midfielder, not an attacking midfielder but a box to box who can put his foot on the ball and take the ball in tight arears. A Ben Thompson type.

I also think another midfielder would be ideal. I wasn't overly impressed with our midfeild on Tuesday, albeit Coleman did well in parts but would love to see a Hessenthaler type midfeidler who drives the play forward.

Really?

I’ll admit I haven’t seen every minute of every game. But from the games I’ve seen, and the reports from others we have played a lot, lot less “hoof” than last season.

1st half v Stockport we played some good passing stuff. 2nd half v Accy and pretty much all the Saints game (from reports).

Whenever a team is under the cosh, like periods v Stockport and Sutton, players are going to go safety first and “get rid”. And at times, the long ball is a good option. So long as it’s a long pass and not a straight hoof to no one, which it pretty much has been.

We are still a L2 side and there will be direct football from most teams. We aren’t Barca. But I think we need to move on and realise at times we are playing some decent stuff for the level.

I think both things can be true - it's not as binary as one or the other, OSK.
We can play some good stuff - we should always aim to play more of it - a little composure and coaching goes a long way.

Early days.

I think both things can be true - it's not as binary as one or the other, OSK.
We can play some good stuff - we should always aim to play more of it - a little composure and coaching goes a long way.

Early days.

Fully agree NWBF. I was just responding to the comment of us still playing a lot of hoofball. I don’t think we are. Certainly nowhere near as much as we played last season or under SE.

If we stopped playing ANY hoofball (direct style?) then we’d end up playing like some of those sides that pass for passing sake and get nowhere having 70% posession. And that’s boring AF.

I 'm sure we are playing less long ball than last season, I just think it's still too much. However, even if we continue to win games 1-0 ,the short term loss in entertainment value will be more than offset by the enjoyment of success.

Circumstances dictate I think.
In the two away games agains Stockport and Sutton we were under the coach for a while and the long ball was the right and appropriate response at that time.
At home against Southampton and Accy I thought we played some lovely stuff and very little long ball.
I don’t even think it is a home and away thing as first half agains Stockport and first half hour against Sutton we played mainly on the floor.
I just think it is a legitimate tactic when we are on the back foot
As as been said, we ain’t Barca but I think we mix it up quite well at the moment

Last edited:
In the two away games agains Stockport and Sutton we were under the coach for a while and the long ball was the right and appropriate response at that time.
At home against Southampton and Accy I thought we played some lovely stuff and very little long ball.
I don’t even think it is a home and away thing as first half agains Stockport and first half hour against Sutton we played mainly on the floor.
I just think it is a legitimate tactic when we are the back foot
As as been said, we ain’t Barca but I think we mix it up quite well at the moment
A new version of park the bus (under the coach) sponsored by Bayliss

I just think it is a legitimate tactic when we are on the back foot
I agree with this. The home performances were both very dominant, with lots of good football, somewhat masked by the narrow 1-0 v Accrington which didn’t reflect the match. The away performances were very different - defensively sound, physically strong with a bit of long ball needed and we took our chances. Very much a legitimate tactic and it got us the three points, but it’s not a tactic we can rely on every away game and we’ll need to play to our strengths more in some games and take advantage of the better players we have than other teams, hopefully starting on Saturday - we can’t nick every game 1-0.

I think we’ve evolved into a team that wants to pass the ball and keep it on the floor but there will be times like Tuesday when you’re under Ariel bombardment when’s it’s not always possible
It wasn’t pretty but we want promotion and if we have to grind out some games so be it
I’m sure that if we match the style and quality we showed against Southampton and second half Accrington the goals will come