Calls for re-referendum reach 3.1M | Vital Football

Calls for re-referendum reach 3.1M

ME2blue

Vital Squad Member
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3660689/Don-t-rule-second-EU-referendum-says-Tony-Blair-3million-sign-petition-demanding-run-Labour-MP-calls-Commons-overturn-result.html

Should we have a rerun? Discuss (amicably :13: )

:16:

Yes, not sure you can trust the numbers on that. Much more significant are the noises from Germany about the UK being allowed to have a rethink. Lot's more to play out on this yet...

As much as i voted to stay in I don't believe that a second referendum is the way to go. It seems as if the initiators of this petition just want to keep voting until they get the result they want.

Whilst personally I don't think a less than 2% majority is sufficient to give the government a clear mandate to exit the EU the rules were clear. We just now have to get on with it.

If a party comes to power with remaining or rejoining the EU (depends on timeframes) as the central point of their manifesto then the situation could be undone but a lot of things would have to change in the interim for that to happen.

By then we could have a unified Ireland and an independent Scotland.

Interesting times

So there is a second referendum and remain triumphs.

1m+ Brexiteers demand another referendum so we have another one and so on .......

Not to happy with the last general election result either can we re-run that

Nope it is what happened the result has to stand surely?

I am strong remain voter but I don't want a re-run. Its done, now lets just get on with negotiating our new relationship with Europe and the rest of the world.

The petition calls for a turnout of 75% of the electorate and a 60% majority. Therefore, if all the leavers sign it and it becomes law and we have another Referendum, all the leavers have to do is abstain from voting (and thus negate the 75% turnout) and the Remainers will be fucked. Simples!

So, the public vote and the majority view is not liked!

Tough shit, you should have listened to the public in the first place.

We don't vote for 'MEP's' and we don't vote for people like Angele Merkel to influence what happens in our country.

For the youth movement, who tend to lack life experience, the EU might have bee a cracking idea, but individuals still remain personally interested (especially financially for personal gain), we have saved you froma future hell, within which you will have no say.

And the Jocks can float off to the EU for all we care. I hope Wee Burney enjoys having the Euro and Herr Juncker telling her when (and how) to fart.

It doesn't really matter if it gets to 10 million does it? Like a few of you have said, you can't just have another referendum because the result didn't go your way.

Razorpound - 26/6/2016 16:26

So, the public vote and the majority view is not liked!

Tough shit, you should have listened to the public in the first place.

We don't vote for 'MEP's' and we don't vote for people like Angele Merkel to influence what happens in our country.

For the youth movement, who tend to lack life experience, the EU might have bee a cracking idea, but individuals still remain personally interested (especially financially for personal gain), we have saved you froma future hell, within which you will have no say.

And let's not forget who started the petition:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/william-oliver-healey-referendum-petition_uk_576f8b28e4b0232d331e1b39?edition=uk

That's right folks, it was started by a Leave campaigner because he thought his side were going to lose.

Just keep that thought in mind when having a go at anyone who signed it, some of whom will undoubtedly be Leave voters who signed before the referendumb).

Know your facts.

Skoolboy_error - 26/6/2016 20:49

I read somewhere that pre the referendum it had only attracted 45 signatures.

And I read somewhere that Farage wanted a second referendumb on a 52-48 result.

What Farage said was that if Remain won something like 52-48% then UKIP would still be around to promote an exit in the future. He'd still be around being critical of the EU and try to influence the attitude towards the EU (and therefore get the public opinion to force another election. Slightly different from the Remain voters' "we disagree with the vote so demand a new one until it goes our way".

The petition is a waste of space and will be thrown out by parliament.

What is more concerning for a leave voter is that all the politicians are talking of delaying the trigger of article 50.
In my opinion this has to happen before the end of the year in order to ratify the democratic vote and I will be seeking assurances from my MP.

It's like being back at school. "Best of three". "No, no, I meant best of five"...

Democracy has spoken. Like it or lump it we have to accept it. Otherwise, if the vocal minority can bully the silent majority we're as bad as those we supposedly oppose.

So .... you lose 2-1 AET but don't like the result and the crowd calls for a re-match. That's democracy for ya!

17.1m vote for something out of a country of 65m, so 26% of people voting for something means that the other 74% have to go along with it.

If that's democracy, sign me up for something else. Referendums are a terrible idea.

28% 0f the Country didn't care enough to vote. Their choice so they can't complain about the result. But that aside, yes, Democracy does mean the side with the most votes wins. Unlike General Elections this was a straight vote too, none of the inequalities that our usual votes have due to seats etc. If you don't like that then you're right, a Democratic Country isn't for you.

It`s difficult to argue against Direct Democracy, it`s the ultimate opinion poll. We elect our MPs using Representative Democracy, a system that perhaps needs re-visiting.