Bury | Page 53 | Vital Football

Bury

Said on SSN that BOTH clubs will be deducted points for failure to fulfill fixtures, so watch this space.

Interestingly also in today's news is that a club owned by Gerard Pique, FC Andorra, have paid €400k to join the Spanish third tier league (so same as us) and they replace a club who have been demoted for financial reasons!
Hmm. So leagues can take appropriate action.
And i presume the money is a bond of some type.

The Spanish League has a much flatter structure than England as only the top two divisions are fully professional.

Division 2B, the third level, actually consists of 4 divisions of 20 clubs each (broadly split N, S, E, W). This means that there are some very established high profile clubs competing with small town outfits and B-teams. The better sides are League 1 standard, some though are NL level so there's a wide fluctuation.

Andorra were only just promoted from the 4th level (Which is regional football) which is in itself a big step. I would be surprised if they're not relegated from 2B this season.

This came about because Reus, who were kicked out of the 2nd Division in the middle of last season for not paying their players, have still been unable to make all the back payments. Their place was open to any 2B club who was capable of paying the FA the 400k. It's not a bond, it just fills the Spanish FA's coffers.

Even though it's split regionally, when Andorra play, say, Hercules of Alicante, that's an 8 hour drive, both directions.

Possibly the EFL don't want to loose face in this debacle. They seem to have played at being the proverbial ostrich for most of the time. Maybe they thought it would all get better if they left both teams to sort it out themselves!?. If both teams struggle to find players to fill their squads will the PFA gallop to the rescue and pay for players that don't have a club?. Or maybe the EFL are using these clubs as test cases for in the future, because it will happen again!?

Above everything, they don't want to lose the structure of their divisions and they're prepared to stomach grievous violations to keep them.

The Spanish League has a much flatter structure than England as only the top two divisions are fully professional.

Division 2B, the third level, actually consists of 4 divisions of 20 clubs each (broadly split N, S, E, W). This means that there are some very established high profile clubs competing with small town outfits and B-teams. The better sides are League 1 standard, some though are NL level so there's a wide fluctuation.

Andorra were only just promoted from the 4th level (Which is regional football) which is in itself a big step. I would be surprised if they're not relegated from 2B this season.

This came about because Reus, who were kicked out of the 2nd Division in the middle of last season for not paying their players, have still been unable to make all the back payments. Their place was open to any 2B club who was capable of paying the FA the 400k. It's not a bond, it just fills the Spanish FA's coffers.

Even though it's split regionally, when Andorra play, say, Hercules of Alicante, that's an 8 hour drive, both directions.

Ah ok.
Guess having to make a payment at least shows some financial means.
Couldn't see Bury or Bolton coming up with such a figure !
Are FC Andorra actually in Andorra?

Above everything, they don't want to lose the structure of their divisions and they're prepared to stomach grievous violations to keep them.

That very much seems to be the case here. How much more (or less, in fact) do Bury actually have to do to be thrown out by the EFL? Is there a closet Shakers fan high up among the ranks of the EFL cognoscenti?

Are the EFL afraid that if they make an example of Bury then considerably more problem clubs will have to follow?

Ah ok.
Guess having to make a payment at least shows some financial means.
Couldn't see Bury or Bolton coming up with such a figure !
Are FC Andorra actually in Andorra?

Yes it is. :)

The official language of Andorra is Catalan.

Other clubs did express an interest in going up. The one with the best case was Zamora, who won their 3rd Division group last season with 90 points from 38 games but they failed to go up because even the Champions of each section are required to go through the play offs.

What they've done is effectively promote a club two divisions instead. I thought it telling that one of the press articles referred to the "good relationship" between Piqué and the Spanish F.A. If you think that the English system is corrupt....

On the other hand Andorra have a nice, colourful kit.

Last edited:
That very much seems to be the case here. How much more (or less, in fact) do Bury actually have to do to be thrown out by the EFL? Is there a closet Shakers fan high up among the ranks of the EFL cognoscenti?

Are the EFL afraid that if they make an example of Bury then considerably more problem clubs will have to follow?

Yes, probably. The EFL knows the setup is unstable, and will be aware of other clubs that are a couple of payrolls away from implosion. If they throw the book at one they will have to throw it at the rest.

I genuinely believe this is why they don't enforce, or bring in stricter rules. To do so could bring the house down on their heads. They're essentially paralysed.

Some will blame the EFL for not acting sooner but that ignores the real root of the problem - the knock on effect of the Premier League. The EFL never had a hope in hell of fighting that tide.

While millions of people continue to support subscribe whatever you want to call it and pour money into the greed fuelled and over bloated cesspit that is the Premier League. Teams below that level will continue to wallow and self destruct trying to keep up in the wake of the greed. The only way for the madness to end is for people to start pulling subscriptions but unfortunately a majority of football followers in this country and abroad couldn't give a toss what happens below the supposed big 6 or so of the PL let alone the EFL.

That'll be Bury on -15 now (-12 for financial and -3 for a fixture suspension)?

I can't see anyway out of it for Bury now. Avenues are being blocked off left, right and centre and options have been limiting for weeks now.

Reads like if they have to suspend another fixture, then that'll be it and we'll run with 23 teams?

The Bolton situation is slightly different.

Bury's owner need to provide proof of funds, which he hasn't.

Bolton's soon to be owners have but because they're not out of admin yet, they can't guarantee being able to field 11 players. To come out of admin, they have to agree amounts with creditors, which they're in the process of doing. The Company taking Bolton out of admin are also buying the hotel, which is being done through another Administrator (despite the club and hotel being owned by the same company that went into admin).

Bury still need to find a huge amount of money regardless of the CVA - the amount still payable is more than enough to send the majority of clubs to the wall. They owe 25p in the pound under the CVA, which means they need to find around £1 million; they have to pay all football creditors in full, which is another £1 million. Furthermore, they have to provide evidence to the EFL that they have adequate funding for the season ahead, which is probably at least another £1 million. They have virtually no income at all, and cannot sell season tickets because the printers will not supply them without receiving payment first. I think the EFL must be looking for evidence of at least £3 million in place right now.

The wording of the EFL statement was interesting: 'the EFL Board feels it has been placed in an unenviable position'. Strange choice of words.

Not necessarily. Bolton did not receive a points deduction for last seasons cancellation of their game against Brentford.
“The EFL reserves its position in relation to the Club not making the arrangements to play the game at the earliest opportunity and this matter will be brought to the attention of the Independent Disciplinary Commission the Club has been referred to at the appropriate time.”

no points appear to have been deducted, but maybe the investigation has not yet taken place. as bolton went straight into admin, who would the efl have had the investigation with?

might well be something waiting for when the take-over is *eventually* completed

Just been on national news and a season ticket holder had picked up his ticket without much hope of using it. More money than sense ?

Not necessarily. Bolton did not receive a points deduction for last seasons cancellation of their game against Brentford.
I think the investigation on that, whatever needs to be investigated, is still on-going. Because they had already been relegated, there was no need to take it off their total last season and I think it might go onto this seasons.

The only way for the madness to end is for people to start pulling subscriptions...

I don't really agree even though we probably share the same sentiment.

Jennifer Lawrence famously moaned about the gender pay gap despite grossing $46m a year.

Now, compare that with the lot of the bulk of actors struggling along without even repertory theatre these days. There's always a top end in anything, especially entertainment, and those people's earnings are astronomical.

There is nothing stopping football clubs paying what they can afford and I'm afraid it's the case that club owners cannot be trusted.

All that is needed are tougher regulations on expenditure which should be matched with income.

EFL clubs are constantly bidding up the wages of players they want with money they don't have, and that needs to be stopped.

I don't blame people for supporting the teams they want to support or subscribing to something they want to watch. I don't see why they should subsidise other clubs.

I would, however, gladly take part in a boycott of those corporate entities that are "official partners" of the great and the good.

Steve Dale believes the EFL is working against Bury:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49168333

Back in court tomorrow over the winding-up petition. It will be interesting to see how that goes.

Dale should be banned from any future involvement with any football club at any level. He is killing Bury. His claim the EFL are working against them is laughable. The EFL however are to blame for letting him run the club into the ground by not keeping a tighter reign on their spending. The EFL should be asking every club if the money is in place every time they sign a player to prevent this happening, maybe a limit on squad size for EFL clubs is something they could look at. Why does a L2 side require a squad in excess of 30 in any case.