Burnley Police Force's twitter message | Vital Football

Burnley Police Force's twitter message

GreenNeedle

Vital Squad Member
Is this an official account? Surely not, and if so who thought that this message was a good idea:

Hello plenty of officers, horses etc to greet Lincoln City fans.. enjoy @LincolnCity_FC

https://twitter.com/BurnleyFCPolice/status/831931820442865664

Ahh OK. Remember coming out of Maine Road after we beat Man City 20 years ago and seeing all the police and horses. Quite scary that night with 2 lines of police protecting the route from the stands to the coaches.

They were quite aggressive their lot, lots of spit flying.

Perhaps they are to protect us from the claret fans?

The only good thing to come out of Burnley?

The M65

Blimey, better dig out my stab vest, shin pads and steel cap boots.
It's a lovely little non league club out to celebrate an amazing run in the fa cup.

GreenNeedle - 16/2/2017 16:52

Ahh OK. Remember coming out of Maine Road after we beat Man City 20 years ago and seeing all the police and horses. Quite scary that night with 2 lines of police protecting the route from the stands to the coaches.

I have quite a different memory of that League Cup match (admitedly I didn't travel in the Imps away travel coaches - living somewhat closer to Manc). The City Fans were in the most, self-deprecrating and welcoming to the Imps. If memory serves, the City fans voted the Imps travelling support as the best away following at Maine Road that particular season.

Bit sad that from our uk police. Who the hell are they expecting ? The Chealsea Head Hunters ? I'm going to reply to that tweet :burn:

I was at Ninian Park in April '86, when the Imps were relegated back to Div 4, the heavy Police presence did nothing to stop the coin throwing from the Bob Bank, that was a different league.

I worked with a chap who was an admitted ex Aston Villa hooligan. As an LCFC fan he admired me because of the LTE, even tho' I'd had nothing to do with them. Maybe reputations speak louder than facts

PS I had no trouble at Maine Road, either, altho' when asking a copper where was the best place to park, he asked if I wanted my car doing!

The Electric Banana - 16/2/2017 17:54

I have quite a different memory of that League Cup match (admitedly I didn't travel in the Imps away travel coaches - living somewhat closer to Manc). The City Fans were in the most, self-deprecrating and welcoming to the Imps. If memory serves, the City fans voted the Imps travelling support as the best away following at Maine Road that particular season.

The police to be fair to them did a good job and kept their fans back behind their lines but it was an eye opener. Lincoln fans walking along a 12ft space where police lines were holding back Man City fans on either side. quite scary at the time but wasn't that long. Only a few minutes from out of the stadium to getting on the coach.

Bit better than Lincolnshire police were at the time whenever we played Doncaster or Mansfield. I remember having to get a sprint on over Sewell's Walk bridge and as far as the high street a few times. Once (can't remember who we were playing) sprinting along Sewell's walk with their fans only about 20ft behind us, getting to the corner (Ritz video hire?) looking left and thinking Sh** and running right.

We didn't know that those to our left on the high street were the City lot preparing their ambush. We were across the road and past the Millers before we realised.

Barney Imp - 16/2/2017 17:08

Perhaps they are to protect us from the claret fans?

The only good thing to come out of Burnley?

The M65

Back in 1987 local Burnley plod said they couldn't guarantee the safety of Orient players if the result was an 'incorrect' one.

With the tone of that Tweet, genuine or not, I think we can safely say that current plod's main priority is not the safety of City fans.

GreenNeedle - 16/2/2017 18:39

The Electric Banana - 16/2/2017 17:54

The police to be fair to them did a good job and kept their fans back behind their lines but it was an eye opener. Lincoln fans walking along a 12ft space where police lines were holding back Man City fans on either side. quite scary at the time but wasn't that long. Only a few minutes from out of the stadium to getting on the coach.

Bit better than Lincolnshire police were at the time whenever we played Doncaster or Mansfield. I remember having to get a sprint on over Sewell's Walk bridge and as far as the high street a few times. Once (can't remember who we were playing) sprinting along Sewell's walk with their fans only about 20ft behind us, getting to the corner (Ritz video hire?) looking left and thinking Sh** and running right.

We didn't know that those to our left on the high street were the City lot preparing their ambush. We were across the road and past the Millers before we realised.

Going home via Shakespeare St was often a good move.

And the chippy was fantastic...

Barney Imp - 16/2/2017 19:28

We used to go to the City Vaults (back room) after matches in those days and get told off for chanting "Dad's army. Dad's army" when it came on telly after Grandstand and before the fish man came who we would buy a "magazine" of crabsticks and munch on them.

I think that match was one where we had to knock on the back (side) door for them to let us in.

So when i said "past the Millers" I meant on the high street on our way to the City Vaults.

GreenNeedle - 16/2/2017 19:39

Barney Imp - 16/2/2017 19:28

We used to go to the City Vaults (back room) after matches in those days and get told off for chanting "Dad's army. Dad's army" when it came on telly after Grandstand and before the fish man came who we would buy a "magazine" of crabsticks and munch on them.

I think that match was one where we had to knock on the back (side) door for them to let us in.

So when i said "past the Millers" I meant on the high street on our way to the City Vaults.

Good pub, the City Vaults - Lincoln Arms was more of my haunt though...