Britt | Vital Football

Britt

Nanpantan red

Vital Football Hero
Something needs to be done with Britt. At the moment he is not justifying a start in the side. Was very poor an Saturday.
When a clearance comes to him he seems more concerned about rattling/fouling his marker than he does about reaching and controlling the ball. Then when he falls over he sits there waiting for a foul to be given when he was at fault. He drifts offside far too often as others who went to the Wigan game told me he did repeatedly there. On a number of occasions on Saturday he was screaming at other players for failing to pass to him in and around the box even though they could see he was standing offside and so tried something else. It's always someone else's fault with Britt. I accept that successful strikers have to be slightly selfish but Briit is almost always trying to get a shot in himself rather than picking a better option. He could have cost us the first goal on Saturday by being both offside and trying to up his goals tally at the expense of others.
But if we drop him will it put him into a shell. Does he need games to get sharper, or has he simply just lost it since his injury?
In contrast when Ben B gets the ball with his back to goal his first thought usually is to turn his marker and go at their defence. That's how he got the penalty. Defenders don't like players running at them but Britt in a similar position invariably plays the ball back to whence it came. Ben still has a lot to learn - he is also poor at handling long and high clearances - but his raw talent, directness and enthusiasm would have me put him on the team sheet before Britt. Sorry Britt, you have been a star for us but you do need to improve your game in so many areas.

Woanz - 6/3/2017 09:01

The offside thing has been getting progressively worse.

As ever, Brian Clough got this one right. If a player isn't interfering with play, what is he doing on the pitch?

My feeling with Britt is sadly that we have seen the best of him already.

The kind of performances and range of goals he was scoring before his injury just don't compare to the player he is now.
I get the feeling he will never get back to the player he was unfortunately, I hope I'm wrong but I think the injury has left him a shadow of his former self .

The difference in movement when Brereton came on was night and day. I've rarely seen someone know his job that well, at that age. Some very smart runs, and he already knows how to draw a challenge - absolutely suckered Dunk for the penalty.

I would not start him on Tuesday against Brentford,he is not the right player for the system we started with against Brighton.

If BA09 is feeling good after Saturday I would start him with Clough playing as his foil, in the no 10 position. I have a feeling that's how we'll get the best out of him. Britt is far from finished - that's crazy talk - he's 24 and he needs to get his sharpness /confidence back after his horrendous injury. I'm sure he will do.

forestonourwayback - 6/3/2017 11:00

If BA09 is feeling good after Saturday I would start him with Clough playing as his foil, in the no 10 position. I have a feeling that's how we'll get the best out of him. Britt is far from finished - that's crazy talk - he's 24 and he needs to get his sharpness /confidence back after his horrendous injury. I'm sure he will do.

Didn't say he was finished. Merely asked if we should drop him until he's mentally and physically sharp or persist with him. Dropping him wouldn't achieve what he needs but the team is more important. A conundrum.

Nanpantan red - 6/3/2017 11:10

Didn't say he was finished. Merely asked if we should drop him until he's mentally and physically sharp or persist with him. Dropping him wouldn't achieve what he needs but the team is more important. A conundrum.

even taking away the clough goal britt still scores- he knows he is not on top and will be looking to get right. completely agree with forestonourwayback

Plus 1

He will come good soon

We need a number 9 who can hold the ball up, turn the opposition or lay it off, then move for the killer pass from his partner to get a strike on goal. Britt just isn't doing this. He's totally off the pace mentally and physically.

There's been massive pressure on BA's shoulders since he signed forus. Big fee, big expectations, recovering from his injury, then after returning, struggling to get/stay fit. He's also had the distraction of negotiating a big contract since returning, and I believe he's also recently become a father - both of which will have been huge distractions. Despite all of this, since his return he's consistently scored though, so his quality is not in doubt. I'm definitely not writing him off, he just needs some patience. The thing is now we have options to rest him if we want.

Wouldn't surprise me if he's benched tomorrow night, especially with an important journey to Burton to come a few days later. Who knows who'll be his replacement though? Mac or Clough or Ben? Bet GB can't believe his luck. Jesus, remember last season when Dougie had nothing up front? How things have changed.

Has there been any word on what McCormack's been like at the NDA? Must wonder where his career's gone having gone to supposed promotion certs Villa in the summer and is now behind a 17yr old in a lower mid table club's pecking order...

Britt is purely about confidence and being in the right place at the right time. At present he's lacking that first half yard of pace hence why he's moving early and getting caught offside. I feel we will not see anything like a Britt from the start of his Forest career till after a full pre season next year. However I feel that he may end up being next years sacrificial goat so to speak if Fawaz hasn't found a deal to exit the club.
You don't lose the killer instinct he has and even now he still remains our top scoring striker even though playing as a lone front man has left him feeding off of scraps all season.

He's our top goalscorer by a comfortable distance despite being played effectively out of position as a lone striker and coming back from as bad an injury as you can hope to recover from.

We should be supporting and showing understanding to this guy, not criticising him for failing to do stuff that has never been part of his game

Pope John XXIII - 6/3/2017 21:26

He's our top goalscorer by a comfortable distance despite being played effectively out of position as a lone striker and coming back from as bad an injury as you can hope to recover from.

We should be supporting and showing understanding to this guy, not criticising him for failing to do stuff that has never been part of his game

Couldn't agree more.

Britt is the best striker we have at the club and in the top 3 outside the prem. Britt is not a lone striker, he needs someone up there with him. Sell him as some have been calling for and we will regret it.

He's a genuine 20 goal a season striker if anywhere near fit.
How many of them have we had in god knows how long ?
I'd be gutted if we shipped him out .
Next season i think he'll be firing on all cylinders , i just hope it's for us.

I didn't think he played to badly on Saturday particularly considering he was up against 2 of the best centre halves in the league.
It seems as though the injury will have a permanent effect on his career, not surprising, so he is going to have to adapt his game to compensate for that, I think he is attempting to do that, in a system that doesn't really suit him. I don't see him not trying.

Even now, there is nobody better at the club for finishing if he gets a chance in the box.